Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    This site Ubergizmo, which I'd never heard of until today, is saying that new apps for webOS will be announced Thursday for the Veer launch on 15th.

In particular, they say:

Interested to know what app that is? We’ll drop you a clue – the developer behind it has over 11 million mobile users and has provedto be one of the Top 10 iPhone and Android apps in the reference categories. Go ahead and guess, you have until Thursday to get it right.
    Sounds like more from Rovio, EA, or some other games, but I really hope it's something other than games (or another Twitter app).

Edit: Not games, since it does say "reference categories".

Speculation?
    Last edited by ahitz; 05/10/2011 at 11:31 AM.
    Why does it bother me that the title of the article and first paragraph refer to multiple apps, but then his big hint only talks about a single app? As usual, it is better to prepare to be disappointed, and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

I'm sure hoping it's not games. Hopefully Shazaam has been working in secret and everyone will finally stop asking for that. Not that it would be much better than games.. I'd prefer the edit-capable version of QuickOffice.

Oh crap.. just realized those apps I just named will only work on webOS 2.0 and up, so the faithful-in-waiting would get no love once again. See, now I think this announcement is going to make more people mad than happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    See, now I think this announcement is going to make more people mad than happy.
    As with every announcement, I think.
    Newness Developments apps:

Probably it's Kindle, but it could be Shazaam.
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    WolframAlpha
    would love to have wolframalpha already have it as a search option for just type but actual app would be awesome
    Something from Chillingo?

Meh, not sure why I didn't notice "reference categories", which means I probably don't care what it is.
    Last edited by sinime; 05/10/2011 at 11:00 AM.
    Probably the HP music cloud app or something...
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sherard View Post
    Probably the HP music cloud app or something...
    no, that doesn't match the "clue" at all.

I also don't think it'd be Kindle. That would quite possibly be WORST time for Amazon to release Kindle for webOS.

"HEY, come celebrate the worlds TINIEST smartphone with an app that highlights it's biggest flaw by encouragin you to READ on the tiny screen!!"
    Top 10 iPhone and Android apps in the reference categories: Kindle. Do I get a prize for getting this right?
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    This doesn't strike me as a good way to announce a new app for a platform. One out of ten people will be happy that it's an app that they want. Nine out of ten will be unhappy that it isn't the app they were wanting.
    Very true. It seems geared to make it seem like a bigger app than it really is. "11 million mobile users" is across all platforms and could include mobile web. "1 of the top 10" in reference categories could be #10, one time, in one category on iOS and Android. Which could have happened by making it free one day, a big promo, release day for the app, etc.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    WolframAlpha
    This seems about right.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    My guess would be Words with Friends.
    WoframAlpha has 11 million users? I'd bet not.

I agree with Untidy that the Veer is probably not the best way to bring Kindle to WebOS, they should just wait for the TP for that.

I think just about everyone is ignoring the clue's mention of the REFERENCE category.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    WoframAlpha has 11 million users? I'd bet not.

I agree with Untidy that the Veer is probably not the best way to bring Kindle to WebOS, they should just wait for the TP for that.

I think just about everyone is ignoring the clue's mention of the REFERENCE category.

WolframAlpha could have 11 million "users" if you counted app downloads on all platforms as well as hits on m.wolframalpha.com. That does still seem a bit high, though.

Maybe Audible. Would fit with Amazon supporting webOS, but would be a much better launch app for the Veer. (aside from the whole headphone-jack issue )
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    words with friends
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drexaljim View Post
    words with friends
    reference category. WWF is not in that category.
    I'm betting on a Kindle app, but hoping for an Audible app.
    Maybe I'm reading the clue too literally, but ... Dictionary.com app? It's actually a pretty handy app, as the pronunciations are included.
    Quote Originally Posted by bitshifter1001 View Post
    I'm betting on a Kindle app, but hoping for an Audible app.
    I thought Kindle app got more than 11 million users.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast