Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I like the whitepages app, just the other day I could not find someone's number and no longer have a whitepages book in the house, this would have come in handy as I look up phone numbers all the time.

That said, the credit card companies are clearly selling private information about us such as household members and age range. One has to go to the website to get those listings removed.
    I'm torn with them having James Harris develop the app. On one hand I think it's awesome that they recognize the talented developers that are out there and know they can do an awesome job. On the other hand it shows a tentative approach to webOS as opposed to developing internally.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if they have full time staff for the Android and iOS app or if they went the same route.
    I hope HP reveals more apps today, it can't just be white pages.
    Sent from my Verizon Pre2
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pow12390 View Post
    I hope HP reveals more apps today, it can't just be white pages.
    It wasn't HP "revealing" the app. I wouldn't expect anything else out of this.
    New webOS apps to celebrate HP Veer’s launch this May 15th | Ubergizmo
    I guess your right, I was expecting much more.
    Sent from my Verizon Pre2
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Sometimes I wonder whether some people actually have any clue about what they are doing. You make people happy by building some anticipation and then having them feel delight at the arrival - not disappointment.
    Well, let me just go hang myself after reading this. Oh wait, I need to first look up someone's number in the white pages to call them to come over and untie my body after its done.
    "Reach out and touch someone."
    I was expecting more, but the white pages app is pretty cool.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Really wish they'd update the Facebook app for the Veer launch. It's so buggy, almost everytime I load it, I'll see duplicates and have to refresh again to clear them up.. sometimes tapping on a post to comment on brings up a completely diff post, and other times, it won't stop auto refreshing while I'm trying to scroll and keep jumping me back up to the top..
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I'm torn with them having James Harris develop the app. On one hand I think it's awesome that they recognize the talented developers that are out there and know they can do an awesome job. On the other hand it shows a tentative approach to webOS as opposed to developing internally.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if they have full time staff for the Android and iOS app or if they went the same route.
    Why are you torn? *curious*
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Sometimes I wonder whether some people actually have any clue about what they are doing. You make people happy by building some anticipation and then having them feel delight at the arrival - not disappointment.
    Honestly, we did not ask for the teaser. At the time, I thought it was really great that they did that. Then, I saw the comments rolling in, and my thought process changed. It set expectations too high?

But in all honesty, this is all good. It's a bigger brand recognizing webOS and moving to support it. That's a win no matter how much you may like or dislike the service. It is an extremely valuable and useful service -- made more so by the patch option.

We also innovated further by making the API tools for other apps to use the data direct from the WhitePages app. I know Mobile Florist did not get out today, but you have to see how the integration there works. It's really something "magical".

If you are disappointed, then my apologies, but this is a win for webOS. It may not be a Shazam or Kindle win, but a win is a win. Now, if you care about webOS, you will help us keep the momentum going and we will get those super major victories.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    I for one am happy that James Harris had a part in making the app. He's one of the handful of developers that makes useful apps and even uses native UI elements correctly in a way that makes his apps attractive and actually feel like part of webOS. If webOS had Apple-like standards regarding the look and feel of apps, instead of accepting whatever to get the app count up, Harris' apps would still get accepted. That's saying a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Really wish they'd update the Facebook app for the Veer launch. It's so buggy, almost everytime I load it, I'll see duplicates and have to refresh again to clear them up.. sometimes tapping on a post to comment on brings up a completely diff post, and other times, it won't stop auto refreshing while I'm trying to scroll and keep jumping me back up to the top..
    I haven't seen the 'auto refresh while scrolling' problem in a while and haven't seen the others at all. What version do you have?
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    I haven't seen the 'auto refresh while scrolling' problem in a while and haven't seen the others at all. What version do you have?
    The latest version.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    The latest version.
    Facebook 1.5.0 is the latest one for webOS 1.4.5. That's what I have. I'm not sure why it's behaving strangely for you.
    This would have been a nice app to just annouce the day prior or the day of. The webOS community is tired of having our hopes being lifted up and then dropped. I like Mr. Harris, I think he is a good dev whom loves webOS and develops for the fun of it. I also think WhitePages is a good app that webOS needs in order to be a better platform in general. I do think, however, the hype was way too much. "Awesome new software for an awesome phone" not going to lie, I have a feeling 2% of Veer owners will install this on launch day. I was expecting Twitter, a third party facebook app, maybe a news site app, but not WhitePages,

Props to Harris, though.
    I've been waiting for Audible, missing it since retiring my T|X. But I found I can download audiobooks free through my library's participation in North Carolina Digital Library (I assume other states have the same thing), a consortium. Also, you can buy downloads from this site: LibraryBIN - About LibraryBIN and profits are donated to your library of choice. I think this is actually a better option than Audible because the mp3 format of whatever I'm currently listening to can be loaded onto my Pre+ through usb, while my library can be stored on my pc. After I download one checked out through my library login on the website (North Carolina Digital Library), I copy the file to my own audiobook folder so I still have it when the rental period expires (1 week) and the original is deleted. It's great! So I don't miss paying the monthly price for Audible, but I do miss handy access to my library already bought through them. I can use my old T|X, but am spoiled by having my phone and pda all together on my Pre+ now.
    Last edited by ilovemypreplus; 05/18/2011 at 11:59 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12