1.    #1  
    Like many others have experienced judging by comments in the App Catalog, Angry Birds Rio (ABR) seems to stop working unexpectedly one day. You try to launch it, you get a black screen and then you are returned to the launcher or your "home screen". If this has happened to you, I've found a fix (at least it has worked for me )!

It seems the original "settings.lua" file gets corrupt somehow. Reinstalling a fresh copy and importing your "highscores.lua" file seems to get things back up and running while keeping your game data!

Step-by-Step Instructions:

1. Install Preware
    2. Install Save/Restore
    3. Open Save/Restore
    4. Save Application Data
    5. Click "Save Selected" to save data for all apps or at least for ABR
    6. Connect Pre in USB mode to computer
    7. Copy Pre's "saverestore" folder to PC
    8. On PC, open "saverestore\com.rovio.angrybirdsrio" folder
    9. Open zip file (looks something like "20110507T020301-0500.zip")
    10. Extract contents (highscores.lua and settings.lua) to Desktop
    11. Disconnect Pre from PC
    12. Delete ABR from Pre
    13. Reinstall ABR on Pre
    14. Launch ABR (it should run properly)
    15. Close ABR
    16. Connect Pre in USB mode to computer
    17. Navigate to "saverestore\com.rovio.angrybirdsrio" folder on Pre
    18. Open zip file (looks something like "20110507T020301-0500.zip")
    19. Highlight and delete "highscores.lua" from zip
    20. Copy "highscores.lua" from DESKTOP to zip
    21. Disconnect Pre from PC
    22. Launch ABR and drop a few tears of JOY!

Please let me know if this fix works for you!
    [QUOTE=sjamie;2956127]Like many others have experienced judging by comments in the App Catalog, Angry Birds Rio (ABR) seems to stop working unexpectedly one day. You try to launch it, you get a black screen and then you are returned to the launcher or your "home screen". If this has happened to you, I've found a fix (at least it has worked for me )!

It seems the original "settings.lua" file gets corrupt somehow. Reinstalling a fresh copy and importing your "highscores.lua" file seems to get things back up and running while keeping your game data!

A thought...

Would someone try this modification (I don't have ABR):

1. Install Preware
    2. Install Save/Restore
    3. Open Save/Restore
    4. Save Application Data
    5. Click "Save Selected" to save data for all apps or at least for ABR
    6. Connect Pre in USB mode to computer
    7. Copy Pre's "saverestore" folder to PC
    8. On PC, open "saverestore\com.rovio.angrybirdsrio" folder
    9. Open zip file (looks something like "20110507T020301-0500.zip")
    10. Extract contents (highscores.lua and settings.lua) to Desktop
    11. Disconnect Pre from PC
    12. Delete ABR from Pre
    13. Reinstall ABR on Pre
    14. Launch ABR (it should run properly)
    15. Close ABR
    16. Connect Pre in USB mode to computer
    17. Navigate to "saverestore\com.rovio.angrybirdsrio" folder on Pre
    18. Open zip file (looks something like "20110507T020301-0500.zip")
    19. Highlight and delete "highscores.lua" from zip
    20. Copy "settings.lua" to DESKTOP from zip
    21. Copy "highscores.lua" from DESKTOP to zip
    22. Disconnect Pre from PC
    23. Launch ABR and drop a few tears of JOY!

This way the next time this happens all you have to do:

1. Open Save/Restore
    2. Save Application Data
    3. Click "Save Selected" to save data for all apps or at least for ABR
    4. Connect Pre in USB mode to computer
    5. Navigate to "saverestore\com.rovio.angrybirdsrio" folder on Pre
    6. Open zip file (looks something like "20110507T020301-0500.zip")
    7. Highlight and delete "settings.lua" from zip
    8. Copy "settings.lua" to DESKTOP from zip
    9. Disconnect Pre from PC
    10. Launch ABR and drop a few tears of JOY!
    None of my devices have done this but have heard about this issue with ABR and ABS. Have you contacted Rovio on this issue? So I do take that restoring the full backup of ABR from save/restore repeats the FUBAR?
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    None of my devices have done this but have heard about this issue with ABR and ABS. Have you contacted Rovio on this issue? So I do take that restoring the full backup of ABR from save/restore repeats the FUBAR?

1. I have not contacted Rovio but have scoured the web for a solution.
    2. Yes, restoring the full backup of ABR from save/restore repeats the FUBAR. Repeated process numerous times until I discovered the file size of the backed up "settings.lua" was 0KB (obviously corrupt) and a fresh install produced a "settings.lua" of 2-3KB. Once the files were swapped, all was good in da hood again!
    3. Let's hope this fix works for the long term and doesn't have to be continuously repeated.
    4. Never had a problem with ABS and hope to keep it that way!
    who cares? Rovio isn't giving us the new updates for RIO. What a waste :/
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanjean View Post
    The update is coming, just taking a little while, they are going to focus on getting it out for iS and android first

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanjean View Post
    It will arrive "in the coming months."
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    It will arrive "in the coming months."
    I think the next updates will be for webOS 2.1 and above only. At least I think that's what Rovio means by saying the firmware on older devices won't work with the next update.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    There's a much easier solution... Just remove the 0-length settings.lua. It will be recreated when the game is launched again.

You can open Terminal and run this:
    rm /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.rovio.angrybirdsrio/settings.lua
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Pritchard View Post
    There's a much easier solution... Just remove the 0-length settings.lua. It will be recreated when the game is launched again.

You can open Terminal and run this:
    This sounds great! I'm looking forward to testing it the next time ABR craps out.
    If you have a Palm Pre, Pre Plus or Pixi you won't ever see an update. I received an e-mail from Rovio yesterday, after waiting over three weeks for a response:

[Rovio Mobile Ltd] Re: : If it is true there will be no more updates for any of the Angry Birds on my Palm Pre Plus ...‏

6/23/11
    Reply ▼

Rovio Support

To Steve H
    Ticket #29584: : If it is true there will be no more updates for any of the ...

Your request (#29584) has been updated.

To review the status of the request and add additional comments, follow the link below:

You can also add a comment by replying to this email.

Rovio Support, Jun-23 16:23 (EEST):

Hello,

and thank you for your patience in waiting for an answer from us.

We have been investigating performance issues on Palm devices for a long time now. Palm Pre and Pre Plus have some severe firmware issues which prevent latest versions of Angry Birds running properly. Unfortunately Palm has decided not to support them with firmware updates anymore.

We are working very hard to solve those issues but unfortunately can not guarantee Angry Birds games to work perfectly on those devices.

The good thing is that when Palm is starting to roll out new devices, we will be able to support them all.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Sami
    Angry Birds Team

Steve H, Jun-01 00:14 (EEST):

: If it is true there will be no more updates for any of the Angry Birds on my Palm Pre Plus then I would like a refund please.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre

Nice to know!! Especially since they already have my $1.99. The game played fine on my Pre Plus, the two levels I have anyway; I just won't be getting the updates the rest of the world will. Because I bought a Palm! I hope HP/Palm/Rovio enjoyed spending my $1.99, they will never get another penny of my money. My contract is up next month and this faithful Palm user (since Treo 600) is buying an iPhone. I'm thinking, "Class action lawsuit." Who's with me?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Nice to know!! Especially since they already have my $1.99. The game played fine on my Pre Plus, the two levels I have anyway; I just won't be getting the updates the rest of the world will. Because I bought a Palm! I hope HP/Palm/Rovio enjoyed spending my $1.99, they will never get another penny of my money. My contract is up next month and this faithful Palm user (since Treo 600) is buying an iPhone. I'm thinking, "Class action lawsuit." Who's with me?
    Grow Up!
    Sadlly switched from Pre- to Sprint Nexus S 4G - An 32Gb Touchpad
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by shallmann View Post
    Yes, I am disappointed too because the game was so awesome. However, we did only spend 2 bucks. Remember how much Sega and Nintendo games use to cost and many of them were not as good as ABR.

Let it go, my friend and enjoy your iPhone...
    Last edited by sjamie; 06/26/2011 at 04:28 PM.
    I guess I am still steamed because this is STILL being sold in the app catalog with "Expect more where this came from: Episodic updates throughout 2011!"

This is misleading and false advertising; I expected better from HP/Palm. They took my money, they are still taking other people's money for an app that is far from complete.

And screw you, OleSalt.
    Looks like they never have fixed this game, and today HP was giving it away with a promo code. The code was expired by the time I got a chance to get it, so I paid for it, and all I get is my 'home' screen when I click on the icon to launch it. So reading here, it sounds like the game has been broken ever since they released it? And HP just essentially sanctioned it with their promotion. That kind of sucks.
    ARGH! Having this same issue. How do I find the settings.lua with Gemini File Manager on my Touchpad? Can't find it under those paths? How do I run Terminal, where is it? Thanks!