1.    #1  
    I've seen where Amazon has announced that the Kindle app is coming to the Touchpad but has B&N made any announcements about the Nook app coming to webOS?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by gyroslice View Post
    I've seen where Amazon has announced that the Kindle app is coming to the Touchpad but has B&N made any announcements about the Nook app coming to webOS?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    They haven't. I too would love a Nook app. My fear is that they're putting their effort into their own tablets and have no desire to shift attention to a new OS.
  3.    #3  
    they've announced that they will be updating their android app to be used on Honeycomb tablets. I wouldn't think they would abandon other OSs because they make their money selling books not hardware so the more folks that have access to the Nook app the better.
    Would actually love to see HP build a Nook like e-book reader for Amazon based on webOS. Here is why:

1) The Nook is a better device "overall" than the Amazon Kindle. Most people who see the color Nook will not even consider the Amazon reader unless price is the prime consideration or they have no desire to do ANYTHING but read a book.

2) Amazon will look like a me too product if they build an Android based reader. They need to make a move because as the prices come down on the technology, nobody will care to save 40 or 50 dollars for a much more limited product.

3) The webOS engine behind such a device doesn't need to be "in your face", but it can form the underpinning of the Kindle 2 and it would give the Kindle much more capability and flexibility than it has now.

4) Amazon has a better infrastructure for book distribution than Barnes and Noble and if the library deal comes to fruition (the ability to read e-books from any library), it would be killer to have that same function on a webOS tablet. They could go to any of the competing bookstores (including the independents which will get killed by the e-book parade) and form a distribution partnership to match the Barnes and Noble deal. But they need to do it soon.

Am I crazy? (I know the answer to that ) But how crazy is this possibility?

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    There will continue to be plenty of people that will buy black and white e-readers. The difference between the Nook Color and the Kindle/Nook really comes down to eye fatigue. Not everyone can stare at a light source all day without having their eyes fatigue.

As for the "me to" mentality of Amazon releasing an Android tablet. Amazon has been positioning themselves for a while here to become a major provider of Android services. The next logical step would be for them to produce an Android tablet.
    Maybe, but if the price difference closes to a large enough degree and the functionality diverges commensurately - I'm sure the pool of B&W only reader buyers will become smaller than it makes good business sense to pursue.

Much like the GPS market of today, it has not been destroyed by the smartphone, but has been hurt. And as the smartphones improve in GPS and mapping capabilities, standalone GPS may become the PDA's of the future. (We all carried them 7 years ago)

Especially if the technology advances to make the color readers even more "eye friendly" and battery friendly... and it will

And I'm not talking about producing a full blown tablet, but a high end reader which will be as close to a cutting edge tablet as a Netbook is to a high-end laptop. There would be no particular reason to prefer Android to any other OS system for this type of device. The OS should be out of sight on this type of device.

And honestly, I don't think the dedicated e-book reader market will exist in 10 years as tablets become better and cheaper. Kind of like the old PDA's, it will all be folded into a low end but more capable tablet.
  7.    #7  
    Amazon already has their own Android app store (which offers a free paid app every day) which means they have already conquered one hurdle to gadget success (quantity and access to apps). Given that the Nook Color has been a massive success and Barnes and Nobles set to update their Nook why wouldn't Amazon produce an "Amazon Color".

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide

I had a Nook Color several months ago and loved it. Needless to say I have a lot of money in B&N books that I would like to access via the Touchpad. Without a Nook app I'll no choice but to look at an ipad or honeycomb tablet.
    Amazon's selling the Kindle for almost $150 cheaper than the Nook Color, so B&N would have to step down their price tremendously. As it is, the market for the Nook Color is less those who want to read and more who want to buy a cheap Android tablet, which is why B&N finally just put Android on it officially. As someone who both loves to read and has experience with e-ink and color readers, e-ink (and for me, Kindle) is where it's at.

But of course they should have an app for you guys, too, if you're used to clinging to your backlight, a Touchpad will be no problem.

ETA: C-Note, I received the Kindle as a gift after being very adamant I had no desire for the Nook. But even still, it's not the pricetag - no backlight and a battery life of 1 month are my priorities over a tablet in addition to my phone and a battery life of 10 hours. Different strokes for different folks.
    Last edited by malpha; 05/06/2011 at 03:07 PM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    But of course they should have an app for you guys, too, if you're used to clinging to your backlight, a Touchpad will be no problem.

ETA: C-Note, I received the Kindle as a gift after being very adamant I had no desire for the Nook. But even still, it's not the pricetag - no backlight and a battery life of 1 month are my priorities over a tablet in addition to my phone and a battery life of 10 hours. Different strokes for different folks.
    I can dig what you are saying, and by no means should they (Amazon) abandon the Kindle. However, they need to cover their flank on the color / enhanced capabilities side of the equation. With their (hopefully) cozy relationship with HP, it would benefit both parties to have a webOS based color model equivalent to the Nook.

It would give Amazon something to fight with, and give HP another way to expand the webOS base. If they were smart, they would provide it at just over cost to Amazon. Doesn't B&N sell a monochrome and color version of the Nook? Amazon should do the same and HP would be wise to partner with them and absorb some of the cost of production in exchange for the foothold into a Amazon successful e-reader ecosystem.

I've already seen the Pandigial color e-reader for $90.00. It's Android based, and while it may not be top notch (like much of the lower end Android phones on the market) how long before economies of scale and technology advances make a good color e-reader for a really cheap price?
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    wait, the nookcolor is an ereader? whoa, I've been using it for honeycomb and gingerbread roms

yes I too would love a webOS nook app. I've only bought a couple books on it, mostly been using it to play with android. BUT if B&N want me to buy their books they have to give me access on webOS, otherwise I will use my android KINDLE app on my B&N tablet to buy books, because THATS MORE USEFUL!

sry for shouting, I just think sometimes if I Type Loud Enough B&N will hear me
    @Greyfish7, that is exactly why HP needs to at least consider the option of producing a low cost color e-book reader . It is soft marketing... but important. When the casual user learns that their beloved e-book reader is "Powered by..." in this case Android, it will pre-condition them to consider one of the Android phones.

HP who has an uphill climb to gain marketshare would benefit greatly if the "Powered by... " sentence ended with webOS. It would neutralize the indifference toward webOS and it should not impossible for a company of HP size and scale.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Amazon's selling the Kindle for almost $150 cheaper than the Nook Color, so B&N would have to step down their price tremendously. As it is, the market for the Nook Color is less those who want to read and more who want to buy a cheap Android tablet, which is why B&N finally just put Android on it officially. As someone who both loves to read and has experience with e-ink and color readers, e-ink (and for me, Kindle) is where it's at.

I'm sorry, but you are comparing two VERY DIFFERENT products, so the price isn't actually an issue. You need to be comparing the regular B&N nook to the Amazon Kindle, where the price is the same. If you wanted a regular e-ink tablet from B&N, the regular nook is right on par (and many consider better, especially since I can borrow books from my library's online catalog with it) with the Kindle.

And where did you hear that they put Android on it officially? Care to share a link, because that would be great news for me.

I'm actually considering not making it a big deal that I won't have a B&N book store app, since I'm going to be carting around my nookColor with me everywhere anyways.