Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    RULES:

1. First 100 people get app for FREE then code stops working
    2. Starts X/XX/XXXX NOW!
    3. USA Only * For Now See Below *

UPDATE
    The promo code is now active and being used.

Da' Code:
    15b997d1-6c02-43df-89b9-4146a1f987ce

Da' Link:
    http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...9-4146a1f987ce

Why USA only?
    Because I have to generate a code for each country. One. At. A. Time.

If you are NOT in the USA and would like a code, please post under this thread your country, and I'll generate a code. That way I don't waste codes on countries wherein not a single person wants my app...

Seriously, the stories are in English because I'm super lame and only speak one language marginally well. I could write a French story about a Monsieur Forchet and his pencil. Perhaps I could even manage a drinking binge for him, but that would be about the extent of it and it would have to be in the present tense. Same for Spanish.

Why only 100?
    I used a complex algorithm that took into account many thousands of variables, but that was boring so I just made up a number. I get a total of 1,000 to use, so 10% seemed like a good test number.

Be kind... Review in catalog
    If you rate me in the catalog, then literally tens of thousands (possibly millions) of people will purchase the app for $.99, and I'll be able to fulfill my dream of buying an island and genetically engineering flying, stinging monkeys.

What the heck is it?
    Short answer: science fiction stories, essays and comics. The stories and essays are mostly themed around One-Way Trips To Mars.

Some people have proposed sending people to Mars without the expense of returning them to their planet of origin...

What if I don't like the stories/essays/comics?
    Then I'm a bad person who can't write or draw.

Seriously, I'm a programmer by trade, so... Don't get your hopes up too high. Oh, I'm not good at marketing or sales either...

If you read only one story, read Sarah. It is my personal favorite. I tried to imagine in as much detail as I could what such a mission would be like for an explorer.

If you read only one essay, read Man vs. Robot. It includes an artist's conception of me whooping up on robots. On Mars.

If you can't wait until 4/30/2011, you could always get the free version that doesn't include the endings of the stories. Of course if I keep typing much longer, it will BE 4/30...

What about Volume 2????
    I'm still waiting for enough interest in this one before embarking on Vol 2...

If it became financially viable, I'd love to pay other writers to submit stories and grow it into a quarterly or monthly magazine. So far I've been able to buy dinner.

I hope you enjoy it.
    Last edited by jeffa00; 04/29/2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Update: Promo Code Now Active
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
    Says promo hasn't started

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post

That's why I said starts 4/30. The system won't let you pick today's date when you generate the code. Hopefully at midnight tonight it will become active. This is the first time I've tried this new feature so I'm not 100% sure what to expect.
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffa00 View Post
    That's why I said starts 4/30. The system won't let you pick today's date when you generate the code. Hopefully at midnight tonight it will become active. This is the first time I've tried this new feature so I'm not 100% sure what to expect.
    Oh.. Lol I'm overtired.. I'll def. check it out thanks for the clarification

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

I've put the start date in bold now, so I hope everyone will understand that it starts tomorrow (4/30/2011).

I'm not sure why they won't let you start it the same day.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Oh.. Lol I'm overtired.. I'll def. check it out thanks for the clarification

Cool. I hope you like it.

For a hopefully humorous look at the reviews I've gotten check here.

The quick summary would be "Don't quit your day job" or "You're a better programmer than writer or cartoonist".

I was going for a good offline reading experience.
    You know how you sometimes read the reviews of apps in the catalog and you think, "Hey! I think this is really the app developer using a different account to write good reviews of his app!"? I'll bet you aren't thinking that about my reviews!
    LMAO!!!

If you can't read the date in the OP, is there much hope of you understanding the story?

JK! LTM
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    If you can't read the date in the OP, is there much hope of you understanding the story?

JK! LTM
    Maybe an essay?

Maybe an essay?

Ah, ok!
    I see pandas.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Here's a SUPER simplified story that fits the theme:

There was a man. He went to Mars. He couldn't come home. It was sad.

The End.

Here is one for the ADD sufferers in da' houze:

This SUPER AWESOME ASTRONAUT DUDE went to FREAKING MARS! SWEET!!! OH, THERE WAS A DISCOVER CHANNEL SHOW ABOUT MARS ONCE!!!! I THINK HISTORY CHANNEL TOO! TV RULES!!! DID YOU EVER WATCH FIREFLY??? THAT SHOW WAS *AWESOME*!!!
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Oh, I left one out:

One for the AD&D sufferers in the tavern:

You are on a planet that is very sandy. The sand is also red. You are alone. Very, very alone. Yet, you are inexplicably in a tavern waiting for someone to pay you to do something. Something very important. Oh, there isn't much air. If only you had thought to cast your MoreThanCanan's Spell Of Infinite Breathing you wouldn't be dead now. But you fail your saving throw so you are dead. Stupid ten foot pole didn't help AT ALL.
    wait, that's 4/30 in what time zone?
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by antijingoist View Post
    I don't know, but here are some answers anyway:

1. The Good One
    2. Twilight Zone
    3. Forbidden Zone
    4. Zoney Mitchell
    5. Zone With The Wind
    6. The Auto Zone
    7. The Danger Zone

Seriously, I'm going to guess PST since that's where Palm/HP are located. That is just a guess however and they really don't say in the docs I read, just the date.

Wish I had a better answer.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by antijingoist View Post
    It is NOW active.
    Just figured it out...
    Man, I gotta tell you that it sucks...
    that you have such a low view of this. :P (couldn't resist)
    I actually liked it. It didn't suck at all. Especially that one story that ends in (spoiler). Unless it's because you lowered my expectations by putting yourself down so much.

Seriously though, understand that people gotta start somewhere. I mean, have you looked at Penny-arcades first comics? compared to where they are now? And anarchy in your head? And XKCD? oh, wait, that one still uses stick figures and everyone loves it.

Anyway, point being (I'm so tired I stayed up late to download this asap, and then forgot why I was up so went to bed at 2am thinking I was missing something and waking up a few moments ago going *oh crap, I hope 100 downloads haven't passed yet* so excuse my sub par communication), I think you have something good. I think it'd be better if it had more content for Vol 2, and if you spell checked it. I DID REALLY REALLY enjoy the 2 fiction stories. I would pay for this if I knew I'd enjoy it this much. And I'd probably pay for the second one without thinking about it. I mean, you actually wonder why you have a good review? :P

BTW: If you feel like you need an illustrator, I can refer a few excellent ones that would work with you too.
    And PS,BTW: hope you didn't take offense to any of this. :P
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I really appreciate the comments.

I'm on the fence about what to do with GalacticBeacon. I suspect I could make it into a quarterly or monthly digital magazine if I try, but I'm not certain it would be the best use of my scarce spare time. I want to make apps, I'm just not sure if this is the best type of app to make.

I have definitely improved in my drawing abilities and the only way to get any better is to keep up the drawing.

Here are samples of two of my newer comics: here and here.

Hint: The site should look really good on a WebOS device...

Those were done with a drawing tablet instead of brush/pen/ink. All the ones in the app are done with traditional ink and either brush or pen (the kind you dip in ink). I enjoy the real ink, but get better results with the tablet.

The practice makes better philosophy applies to my writing as well.

The real question I have for myself is should I keep this up or make different apps like games or productivity apps.

Again thanks for the feedback!
    Cool - thanks! My first use of a promo code (they go pretty darn fast!)
    THIS IS THE BEST APP!!!

I love the stories!! More!!!

My kind of humor!!

I selected the SMS message option and nothing seems to have happened. I got a message on the browser swaying one had been sent - but nothing arrived. I think I have blocked SMS from the web so that will not work.

Can you use the promo codes in the app catalog on 1.4.5?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast