Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    UPDATE 10/9/2011 -
    Despite HP doing it's best to kill webOS, I still like the platform too much to give up! TouchPads are nice for sitting, but phones are work tools. I looked at Android phones, and they are too big if you want power-user specs. iPhones is locked to iTunes and hard to hack. So I just ordered a Pre3 for Verizon at somewhat less ridiculous price on eBay, and will therefore have another go at OB Tracker, as soon as I am ahead of my clinic paperwork enough to do so.

So for all the physicians, nurses, midwives, and other interested medical folks out there, OB Tracker is back in development, hopefully to get ported to Enyo (webOS 3) as well. An eventual goal will be able to edit the data file on TouchPad (still for sale on Amazon.com!) then sync back to phone, if desired.

I will probably not try to have as many features in it, and just hard-code the fields like Sirato did, as trying to have too much customizability in the data fields made for too many variables and made my head hurt... :P

===================================================================

This is actually a continuation of the prior thread, "Medical Apps - OB Patient tracking? " but I wanted it to be more easily visible, and for the first post to always contain the most up to date links for downloads - a nice little convention I learned in my brief foray into Android phones (also known as chAOS, but others hopefully have had a better experience than I!)

As such, huge thanks to SiratoXero who got an alpha version out, and PalmDoc2005 (Dr. Teh) who encouraged and tutored me through my first app and has single-handedly kept WebOS in contention as a serious medical tool platform.

4/25/11
    At this time I have the basic SQL data file structure set that will hold the data. I just am teaching myself to use SQL, step by small step, from Web sources and Frank Zammetti's book, Practical Palm WebOS Programming (or similar - I'm a doctor, not a librarian!) When I can get the app to make the file, insert records into it, and read the cells, then 85% of the work will be done (I hope!).

This is a major change from SiratoXero's alpha version, because in his alpha app, the data got lost with every update, and was not encrypted, which is a United States HIPAA law requirement for patient data. Sirata was the one who suggested making the change and starting over.

I am doing this between doing my clinic paperwork, catching babies, and filling in at our rural hospital as the daytime hospitalist when our hospitalist is out. So it goes in fits and starts! But I will keep interested WebOS users informed of progress and take your suggestions here.

There is also now (finally!) a PayPal donation page if you want to support this somewhat expensive hobby/endeavor in making WebOS more useful to physicians:

David Jarvis' Page

Any donations appreciated to keep the financial peace at home!

BBooDoc - David Jarvis, MD
    Last edited by BBooDoc; 10/19/2011 at 02:06 AM.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    What does a 3 day rainy weekend mean to a budding WebOS developer?

A chance to work on apps more! (between kids requesting things of course - lol)

I am finally sitting down doing more of the framework on the app, to make sure it is Pixi / Veer compatible, and have been reading on SQL. Data entry screens are started (should be easy in Ares, but I found that the date picker is buggy; if I limit the years so the user doesn't have to scroll, then it majorly freezes up both the emulators and my Pre2).

Who knows? In a little while, I may even have a beta out to test. Once I have the basic app working, then I will also dabble with Tablet mode and Enyo conversions. First I want to get the basics working, as I am getting more OBs, and would prefer a different format to the OB list app currently out.

When I get my registration code for the screen grabber, I'll get some screen shots up.
    Last edited by BBooDoc; 05/29/2011 at 01:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Here is a link to the beta so far: (or PM me to email it to you)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13555199/com..._1.0.2_all.ipk

So far it just is the framework. I realized I had made a major SNAFU by not including the Decryption screen initially. In order to make the changes to have that first, even though encryption is not yet enabled, I had to redo the app from scratch, which was probably a good thing, anyway!

So now a break to do some other stuff, and give you folks some screen shots of what is coming. I develop only in Ares, as I am not abstract enough to just write plain code yet. In Ares I use the Pre-sized window. I actually send the code to the Veer emulator, to make sure it all works on both sizes of devices. Eventually I will adapt for TouchPads and Pre3, but that will have to wait for another holiday probably. (and likely until I have sold enough of this app to afford a TouchPad :} )

PS - as always, I can't say "thanks!" enough to SiratoXero and palmdoc (Dr. Teh) for getting the ball rolling. That it rolls slowly is due to my own time constraints...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Great stuff. Keep it up!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Still plugging away. So far, the version with SQL in it won't even finish loading, lol!

But I continue to plug away in Eclipse on the SQL stuff. I am developing the SQL module now from one out of a book with MIT Open License. I figure if I can get it to at least load with the SQL in it, then I just have to make the hooks to the interface, and the listing work. Then encrypt it all...

update: now it runs with the SQL code in it. One more small step....
    Last edited by BBooDoc; 05/31/2011 at 11:59 AM.
    Hey BBooDoc, this stuff looks amazing! I'm glad you started over and ditched my buggy code. haha. It looks very promising and I'm very excited about the prospect of your app.

I haven't programmed in a while (unfortunately) but let me know if you have any questions/problems. I'd be glad to help if I still can!
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Good to see you here again Sirato! I hope you noticed I am still using that gorgeous background you found for the scenes. Would have used it for the desktop icon except it was too light to be legible.

And, while I took your suggestion and started over from scratch, I still like the way you used webOS standard lists that can be swiped to delete, compared to those in the CodeCabinet and the "other" webOS OB app. I am planning on using that method for the edit screen where review/editing happens, though the main scene will have the list outputted as HTML so it can get more moms on one screen at 1 line each without the breaks that webOS puts in.

Again, thanks for your help to the webOS medical community!
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Very minor updates to interface to be full screen on TouchPad, and fixed a button. Still haven't had much time for the meat of it, I am afraid. For now, "the other" <grin> OB app on webOS works on phones, even if not customizable, etc. I have not tried it on the TouchPad yet.

The current version is just to show the interface so far. It's available via the Dropbox link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13555199/com..._1.0.4_all.ipk

Suggestions for features welcome. Time to code is the tough part!
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Sadly, there is no point in developing this app further. There will not be Touch-to-Share to transfer the list, and the doctors in my area who were interested in it can't by a phone to put it on, and would be foolish to do so.

Sorry everyone. HP killed Palm. Leo Apotheker is killing HP, just like he was his last company. Just when webOS phones were starting to get "respectable" and mindshare among physicians was growing again.