Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    db8 database apps do, but SQL databases are seperated for each app and if you have enough space available on the media partition, it should just work.

Maybe it's time to try a few others apps, that also use SQL databases:
    - Shopping Manager (Demo)
    - Sorting Thoughts
    - Listed
    they work perfectly
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Are you able to install apps via Preware or webOSQuickInstall?

If yes, please write me an email to software(at)vivalv.de and I will send the ipk file of Data Manager Demo. Maybe the one in your App Catalog is damaged...
    Wow, this app is something I've been waiting for since I got my Pre3! Now I can finally stop using my old Centro with MobileDB.

I love how customisable all the settings and appearance are - you've thought of just about everything!

Only bug I've noticed is that the arrow to the right of 'Security' doesn't quite match up to the line that meets it - it's about a pixel out. How pedantic am I?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    I'm after a little advice with tables within databases. Is there any way to add another table in a database, using the definitions from an existing table within that same database? I don't want to copy the data, although I can't even accomplish that.

If I use the Data Transfer tool it doesn't seem to allow import into a specific table, only into a database in general.

On the 'wish list' front, I'd love to see an option in the database prefs to specify a default email recipient and email title for a report. Not a big deal but would save entering the same details every time if you only send reports to one address per database.

Finally when selecting the 'light' theme for the app, some of the buttons are still in a 'dark' style. I don't mind that so much as the dark theme is my preferred setting anyway.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Yep, the Security arrow does not align perfectly with the line. This seems to be a bug of webOS 2.2.x, because it looks OK on webOS 1.4.5. There are other layout bugs on webOS 2.2.x, too.

Sorry, you can't copy individual table definitions or table data from one database to another.

I will note your wishes about the default email address and title.

You are right about the dark buttons. We did not take the time yet to redraw them for the light theme.
    Many thanks for the reply, I'll stick with having one table per database unless the ability to copy/clone definitions is added in future.

Despite that, Data Manager is my new favourite app! Its sooo much more useful than MobileDB was in many ways & looks great too.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Have you tried exporting the definition of your table, editing that definition with a text editor, then importing it back within the new database? I have done this, and it does work.

The exported definition is in XML, so you do need to be a little familiar with XML.
    Have you tried exporting the definition of your table, editing that definition with a text editor, then importing it back within the new database? I have done this, and it does work.
    I might give that a try thanks, but for now I'm quite happy with separate databases for all my data.

Is there any plan to add Data Manager to the Just Type searches in WebOS 2.x? This would be an amazing addition as you could potentially find any data without having to open the app first.

Also, I'm having issues with importing data from an Excel spreadsheet into a field set as 'Currency'. I've tried setting the column to a currency (UK pounds) in the spreadsheet and also setting it as just a number, but whatever happens, the fields all import as 0.00. What am I doing wrong?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Integration with JustType in a way to make it possible to search without opening the app would require the use of the webOS db8 database. But this database is too limited. Data Manager needs a full SQL database.

For importing currency, the column in Google Docs should be a number. If it does not work, I would need an example with as much information as possible. You can send it to software(at)vivalv.de, if you wish.
    Quote Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
    Integration with JustType in a way to make it possible to search without opening the app would require the use of the webOS db8 database. But this database is too limited. Data Manager needs a full SQL database.
    That's a shame, well it still works great without that feature!

Quote Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
    For importing currency, the column in Google Docs should be a number. If it does not work, I would need an example with as much information as possible. You can send it to software(at)vivalv.de, if you wish.
    It turns out the spreadsheet I was using had some kind of hidden rows that I can't seem to get to, so I copied the cells I needed to a plain spreadsheet and imported that. Seems to work with the new spreadsheet! I guess any errors can throw off other data.

Many thanks for the prompt reply, it's great to have contact with skilled developers.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    It turns out the spreadsheet I was using had some kind of hidden rows that I can't seem to get to, so I copied the cells I needed to a plain spreadsheet and imported that. Seems to work with the new spreadsheet! I guess any errors can throw off other data.
    UPDATE: It looks like the 'hidden rows' weren't the problem after all. What was happening was, every time I edited the spreadsheet in Google Docs, then tried importing back it into Data Manager, somehow Data Manager was re-importing the old (unedited) version.

Saving the spreadsheet with a different title and importing it seems to make it import successfully with the changes in place. Does the app somehow store a cache of previously imported files?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Data Manager remembers the ID of the last imported Google spreadsheet. It's news to me that Google creates a new version everytime you edit it.

So, to workaround this, you would have to pick the spreadsheet from the list again in Data Manager before import.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Data Manager 1.7.0 is now available:
    * totals and group totals
    * bugfixes
    I'm not sure how to import a Google Docs spreadsheet with multiple sheets into a database with multiple tables. I do the data transfer and it transfers the first sheet into the first table, but that's it. Any advice?

EDIT: Also, it would be nice to be able to choose individual tables to import. I manually entered my lookup data into the database and was confused when I then had to add it to the spreadsheet so it could match up.
    Last edited by Sans Gravitas; 04/26/2012 at 06:27 PM.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    I guess, you forgot the table markers. Please see here:
    Datamanager/english - VivaLV-Software

Import always need to import all tables, because it recreates the references during import.
    I read that previously but it's not very clear where you are supposed to put them. I figured it out by doing an export and seeing how it looked in Google Docs. A little weird that all tables should be on a single worksheet. Maybe we could get an option to use worksheets as table delimiters? Thanks
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    That's what we would have liked to do in the first place. But the Google Docs API forces you to download each and every row alone, if you choose to download sheets.

So, the fastest way is to download only the main sheet, because it can be done at once.
    Understandable. Thanks for the reply!
    @Pitxitxita:
    yep, i had the same feeling. Exporting (from Handbase) en importing right now. Hope everything will import just fine...
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast