Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    I simply cannot get over how amazing this database manager is! It is truly a "work of art." No wonder it took so long to release it after the release of Shopping Manager.

Sidamos, please tell me that there are plans to support this app on the TouchPad with a way to sync the two databases (i.e. phone and tablet). Please.....
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Thanks!

Yes, there will be a TouchPad version. First, we will make the current Mojo version run fullscreen and without gesture area on the tablet. It's already developed to be flexible in size. A full Enyo version will take more time.

We don't know yet, how data exchange between phone and TouchPad will work. Since we do not use db8 storage (because this has its limits and only works on 2.x and higher), there will be no automatic "sync" via the profile. We'll see, what we can do.
    Touch To Share baby! Of course I don't know if that's possible or if HP has opened the API, but that would be ideal. I think ...
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Yes, but all we saw until now is transferring an URL. We have to wait and see.

And of course it would not be of any use if you have an older phone.
    What, you don't rush out and buy the latest ... Whoops, forgot, we're not in the robot camp otherwise known as the Device of the Month Club
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    That was the reason why we did not implement Data Manager in Enyo from the beginning.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    I have noticed one thing about importing files from Google Documents. When my original spreadsheet is in Excel, I have more consistent results when I save the spreadsheet as a .txt file (Tab delimited) in Excel, import the file into Google Documents and then import it into Data Manager.

The same data, saved as a .csv or .xls file and then imported into Google Documents seems to give me more errors when I try to import into Data Manager.

Not sure why this is but maybe Google Documents is more friendly with .txt files than with .csv or .xls.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    What are the errors that you are getting when importing from CSV?

During the beta, I worked closely with sidamos to work out a lot of the bugs when importing from CSV. I would be interested to find out what we might have missed.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aa6vh View Post
    What are the errors that you are getting when importing from CSV?

During the beta, I worked closely with sidamos to work out a lot of the bugs when importing from CSV. I would be interested to find out what we might have missed.
    It is very strange. The error is the usual "columns cannot be matched" or something like that. And the "column" which cannot be matched is the name of the table itself! i.e. I name my table as "Main" and then I have my fields. The error is that it cannot match "Main".

When I convert the exact same file to a .txt file using Excel and then import to Google Documents, Data Manager's errors are limited to actual columns which don't match. That is easy to fix as one column name may not match exactly and so I redo. But the other error naming the "Main" table as the problem does not allow any data to be imported.

I hope this makes some sense? I could always send you one of my Google Documents which are not working or one of my excel spreadsheets, if you'd like.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Please send an Excel spreadsheet and the corresponding Data Manager definition to datamanager(at)vivalv.de and please describe the problem steps in the mail.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Sidamos,

Just to be clear, I have everything set up perfectly now although I certainly don't mind helping you troubleshoot the problems I did experence along the way.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Yes, please go ahead and write the mail. Perhaps there is a situation, where the error message from DM is not correct or something like that.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
    Yes, please go ahead and write the mail. Perhaps there is a situation, where the error message from DM is not correct or something like that.
    Sidamos, I am embarassed to say that I have been unable to replicate the problem I described earlier. The problem was there as recently as this morning as I tried to import an .xls file and a .csv file into Google Documents and then tried to import into DM. I got it to work by saving the document as a .txt file.

Now, however, every file I try works! I don't know what to say. I just cannot seem to replicate the problem. The only difference is that I am working from home instead of the office. My wifi connection at the office is extremely poor. My wifi at home is excellent. Could it be that the problem I experienced was due to a poor connection with Google Documents resulting in the transfer of a corrupt file? This could explain the error message. There were no column problems because the file contained no data.

I tried importing a blank Google spreadsheet and this was exactly the error I received. I think I might be on to something....

I don't know....I'm just guessing but I've tried importing a dozen files and DM didn't hiccup once! At the office, I was definitely experiencing more problems.

The more I think about it, the more this seems to make sense. A blank google spreadsheet gives no information about columns because there aren't any!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    No problem. If you can reproduce the issue, don't hesitate to send an email.

Blank spreadsheets should probably generate a better error message.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Sidamos,

Can the date field be set to default to the current date instead of defaulting to Dec 31, 1969?
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    We had that in one of the Betas, but switched back to the current implementation, because now it is the "unset" date, which has some advantages for export and for optionally suppressing an unset date in the list of data.
    We probably could make that an option.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    IMHO, that would be a good option for those of us who are regularly updating the database with new entries based on current date. It would remove one more touch when adding an entry.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    When emailing a database entry the list for selected fields allows for the field with image to be selected. but when I checked my email it just gave the pathway for the image- /media/internal/image name. question is there a way to send the image along with the email as an attachment?
    DaVince >IIIxe > Visor Platinum+visorphone > Clie-SJ33 > Tungsten T3>Palm TX>LifeDrive(Flash)>Treo 650>Treo 700p>PalmPrePlus2.1
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    webOS currently does not have an API for that, as far as I know.
    Okay, so I was very happy to see Data Manager come through when I got my TouchPad. I went through the process of transferring the db file onto the Touchpad and opened it up to see all of my data!

Awesome.

The only problem is that it doesn't stay that way. On reboot (I think) it creates a new file.

Any ideas?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast