Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just opened an app for the first time and the first screen was a letter from the developer asking users to not post a bad review in the app catalog if we didn't like the app.

I can understand not wanting users to post tech support questions there, but isn't the whole purpose of the reviews to let prospective users know how good or what a waste of money an app is?

Bad feedback is good for the developer (so they can improve their app where it's lacking), and for buyers. Am I missing something?
    if you've checked out things like "mock the afflicted" you will see that most bad reviews are not even about the app. People gripe about palm, or crab that the app catalog isn't working, etc.
    What app was it Kate? I can understand having a disclaimer asking users to think before posting a negative rating, but flat out asking for NO negative feedback is simply lame.
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    I just opened an app for the first time and the first screen was a letter from the developer asking users to not post a bad review in the app catalog if we didn't like the app.

I can understand not wanting users to post tech support questions there, but isn't the whole purpose of the reviews to let prospective users know how good or what a waste of money an app is?

Bad feedback is good for the developer (so they can improve their app where it's lacking), and for buyers. Am I missing something?
    That's just so wrong... If the developer is displaying that on their starting screen, as a user it would make me wonder if he/she has faith in their own product.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  5.    #5  
    Golden Playlist Lite
    he's doing they same thing ebay sellers do, asking for a chance to resolve issues before leaving a operating. I get that same message when I take my car to the dealer.
    Here's the note that comes up first thing when you try out this free version of the app.

With that note, I understand wanting the people to contact you before leaving some stupid comment like "it wouldn't install", but there's a fine line.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/19/2011 at 11:24 PM.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    haha I am a software developer and this reminds me of this developer i used to work with. He used to tell the users dont create bug fix requests, because my manager sees those, instead just call me.

To me its simple, does the app do what it says it will do? if not give a low rating so other users can make an informed decision. I could care less what the developer thinks of my negative reviews.
    so you are ok with the fact that someone posted zero stars for this app with the comment "testing this app" ?

that's what the dev is trying to stop. Btw, what webos apps have you done? Anything in the app catalog? We will all look you up!
    i dont see anything wrong with it. we really should contact the developer B4 we give bad reviews. Alot of the time when i read the reviews i notice the complaints dont have anything to do with the app. More often than not it has to do with user error. Other times it has something to do with palm. And the most annoying of them all is the negative reviews from people who bought apps without reading the description, then criticize the app for not being what they expected.
    I can understand saying something like 'before leaving a negative rating, please contact us and give us a chance to fix the issue'. But that's not what they are saying... They said "If you don't like the app, we apologize. But please don't give us a bad rating."

Every one wants positive feedback... but if it were a paid application, this would be a pretty bad way to get only positive feedback to gain sales - instead of relying on the actual quality of the product. /2cents
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/19/2011 at 11:32 PM.
    I can see not wanting a bunch of useless 'this app sucks' ratings, but I can also see if the app worked good 'right out of the box' then there would be less bad ratings - legit or otherwise. Let's face it, people whine/rant/complain, but the good ratings would out shine the bad.

I guess I'll shoot for somewhere in the middle;
    Go ahead and post your 'constructive' ratings, not 'rant' ratings.
    Just call me Berd.
    As a developer, I understand it's frustrating when people discuss issues in the reviews without contacting the developer. But it's how the developer is wording their startup screen that is wrong.

First he says if you like the app, give it a good rating. Then he says if you don't like the app don't give a bad rating. How is that fair?

Later in the blurb he mentions emailing them for any issues or ideas for improvement. This is all that should have been listed on this startup screen. Ask for feedback and leave it at that. Asking people not to leave bad reviews is only going to leave people a bad impression of the app before they even try it.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

I agree that we want to support our developers. But shouldn't we also want to support our fellow members? In my mind, the point of a review system is to help potential buyers assess whether they should buy an app. Thoughtful, specific reviews, whether good or bad, help fellow P|C members to make the best buying decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    I agree that we want to support our developers. But shouldn't we also want to support our fellow members? In my mind, the point of a review system is to help potential buyers assess whether they should buy an app. Thoughtful, specific reviews, whether good or bad, help fellow P|C members to make the best buying decisions.
    The word highlighted above ("Thoughtful") is the key word. As a developer, I don't mind if someone leaves a negative review if they present their opinions in a thoughtful, polite manner. Reviews shouldn't be rude. They should just state their opinions to share with other consumers.

I think the big thing lacking in the catalog is a review rating and comment system. If other users could rate and comment on reviews (similar to Amazon), I think it would provide a much richer experience. That way if some clown types "THIS APP SUX!!!", others could rank the review as "unhelpful". Or if someone posts about a missing feature (which actually exists in the app), other users could respond with a comment indicating the feature is there (maybe the feature was added in an update after the review).

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    The word highlighted above ("Thoughtful") is the key word. As a developer, I don't mind if someone leaves a negative review if they present their opinions in a thoughtful, polite manner. Reviews shouldn't be rude. They should just state their opinions to share with other consumers.

I think the big thing lacking in the catalog is a review rating and comment system. If other users could rate and comment on reviews (similar to Amazon), I think it would provide a much richer experience. That way if some clown types "THIS APP SUX!!!", others could rank the review as "unhelpful". Or if someone posts about a missing feature (which actually exists in the app), other users could respond with a comment indicating the feature is there (maybe the feature was added in an update after the review).
    I think this hits the nail right on the head Dan. User moderated reviews might eliminate a lot of the useless reviews that get posted, but how would it affect the mean "star" score? Does the calculation start weighting star scores based on positive or negative feedback of each review? I have to admit... as a consumer, I read the description and take in the star rating. Then if those two things mesh for me I will try reading the reviews in order to help with my buying decision. But I dont even waste time with the reading if the star score is low...
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    I think this hits the nail right on the head Dan. User moderated reviews might eliminate a lot of the useless reviews that get posted, but how would it affect the mean "star" score? Does the calculation start weighting star scores based on positive or negative feedback of each review? I have to admit... as a consumer, I read the description and take in the star rating. Then if those two things mesh for me I will try reading the reviews in order to help with my buying decision. But I dont even waste time with the reading if the star score is low...
    I haven't done an in-depth analysis of Amazon's rating system, but I think a "1-star" review would still count as "1-star" even if a bunch of people down-ranked it. But maybe they account for bad rankings...not sure.

But yeah most likely if your app is getting a bunch of low ratings, your average rating would still be low. Where this system would help is for higher-ranked apps that receive the occasional meaningless 1-star review ("can't download", "this app sux", "Pre 3 better come to Sprint or else I'm going to Android"). If reviews were down-graded (in some visual way), it would lessen the perceived negative effect on most potential consumers.

And a comment system would be great for users to interact with each other in regards to the apps they're using. Also it would allow other users to agree or disagree with certain observations.

The absolute best, tried and true, is James Harris' Flashcards, in which he provides a system by which people can submit feedback to him. Not only that, he emailed me personally after I bought the app to ask how I liked it.

THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is quality developer feedback. And it shows, his ratings/reviews are phenomenal.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    With that note, I understand wanting the people to contact you before leaving some stupid comment like "it wouldn't install", but there's a fine line.
    I understand that comments like "it wouldn't install" aren't actually left as reviews but are a result of users hitting the "Report a Problem" button in the App Catalog. That part of the system is definitely broken because if you've run into a problem you want to report, you're most certainly not having a problem with the app itself but rather some technical problem with the catalog - but it'll downrank an innocent app.
    I can kind of see the developer's intent. If you d/l the app and find bugs and those bugs are NOT fixed after contacting the developer, post the negative comments. I remember the old Palm OS and one GREAT developer that offered personal help to fix problems and bugs in his releases. I kind of wish he'd do WebOS stuff cause I'd support him.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast