Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So recent Android migrator here, and having looked around the App Catalog, I have to ask whether or not WebOS developers are out of their minds regarding pricing, at least in the UK?

Let's take a well known app across three platforms:

Angry Birds: 1.59 GBP (WebOS)
    Angry Birds: $0.99 USD (iOS - don't have an iOS device handy so can't easily find UK pricing)
    Angry Birds: bugger all (Android - subsidised with ads)

By and large, WebOS apps seem to be slightly more expensive that iOS equivalents and WAY more expensive than Android equivalents. What gives?
    probably because webOS has such a small user base that all developers can do to see a return on their investment is to charge higher prices.
    i'm guessin without an ad support option the only way for them o go is to for less users at a higher price to make sure they get back an investment on aking an application for webos?

but yeah at least they made the game available?
    It's really a shame webOS apps are that expensive. Almost the price I had to pay for that glass of wine the other day in the restaurant.
    angry birds is 59p in uk ios appstore - 3 times cheaper than webOS, which is why I have never bought anything from the app catalogue when I have my ipod touch handy

its a vicious circle - developers put prices higher, people buy less apps - developers either stop making apps for webOS or they make the prices even higher. Its quite a big issue that isn't given much attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    it's really a shame webos apps are that expensive. Almost the price i had to pay for that glass of wine the other day in the restaurant.
    Bam, direct hit!
    Supply and demand
    Apple (and the huge amount of competition on their AppStore) has created a price-point that consumers now expect every game/developer to follow. 59p for a full app is (often) a ridiculously small amount to pay and much less than many are truly worth, considering the amount of time and effort that goes into each app and the hours of entertainment than can be garnered from them.

Years ago, gamers were happy to pay 1.99 for a MasterTronic/CodeMasters etc. game (here in the UK) and some/many of those games were awful; gamers saw them as cheap and cheerful, and at that price point disposable (if they were rubbish). Now even something that high (1.99) is frowned upon on these on-line stores, despite people generally having a higher disposable income nowadays.

Times change and so do expectations - people expect much more for much less.

I get what you're saying about the difference in price-points, but sometimes that's the price you have to pay for owning a particular (and lesser supported) machine.

And really 1.59 (or whatever it is) for Angry Birds is still worth it, if you enjoy the game.
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
    Quote Originally Posted by Loccy View Post
    So recent Android migrator here, and having looked around the App Catalog, I have to ask whether or not WebOS developers are out of their minds regarding pricing, at least in the UK?

Let's take a well known app across three platforms:

Angry Birds: 1.59 GBP (WebOS)
    Angry Birds: $0.99 USD (iOS - don't have an iOS device handy so can't easily find UK pricing)
    Angry Birds: bugger all (Android - subsidised with ads)

By and large, WebOS apps seem to be slightly more expensive that iOS equivalents and WAY more expensive than Android equivalents. What gives?
    Android vs the other platforms - apples and oranges. Ads are annoying - I'd prefer to pay - maybe it's the other way around for you - but that price is not comparable.

With regard to the rest - obvious answer is obvious: Market size.

If you can sell to more people and have more competition you sometimes try to get scale by selling at lower price (and then sell so many more copies that you still get more money overall).

It's cheap either way. Calm down.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Ignoring the ridiculous posts that sidestep the question...

Not really, there are few developers on webOS and a lot of the users here are, idk, what's the word I'm looking for....not sure, but ego pumpers who'll buy anything regardless of price (benefits of ex Palm-******* who used to pay $30 for software)...so that's how prices get set sometimes. You don't have to buy it if you don't want to or if you do buy it, just leave a review stating that you don't like the unfair pricing compared to other platforms, especially for something like Angry Birds which was a 3 day port.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Ignoring the ridiculous posts that sidestep the question...

Not really, there are few developers on webOS and a lot of the users here are, idk, what's the word I'm looking for....not sure, but ego pumpers who'll buy anything regardless of price (benefits of ex Palm-******* who used to pay $30 for software)...so that's how prices get set sometimes. You don't have to buy it if you don't want to or if you do buy it, just leave a review stating that you don't like the unfair pricing compared to other platforms, especially for something like Angry Birds which was a 3 day port.
    agreed. but its not really about "fair" its about profit. Angry Birds is a charity case when it comes to webOS. Considering the amount of money Roxio makes on iOS and android, i'm surprised they even continue support. they could just as easily point customers to their products on other platforms as epocrates has done. WebOS developers are not crazy, they are just like any other developers, trying to make $ off of the software they put time and effort into. if that means SLIGHTLY more expensive downloads, so be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    agreed. but its not really about "fair" its about profit. Angry Birds is a charity case when it comes to webOS. Considering the amount of money Roxio makes on iOS and android, i'm surprised they even continue support. they could just as easily point customers to their products on other platforms as epocrates has done. WebOS developers are not crazy, they are just like any other developers, trying to make $ off of the software they put time and effort into. if that means SLIGHTLY more expensive downloads, so be it.
    they dont make lots of money on angry birds for android because its free.
    I think it may have been something to do with them being unable to create an app that worked on all devices, so to stop people buying it, finding it didn't work and then demanding a refund, they made it free.

webOS users got the short stick.
    Quote Originally Posted by 7 fissurez View Post
    I think it may have been something to do with them being unable to create an app that worked on all devices, so to stop people buying it, finding it didn't work and then demanding a refund, they made it free.

webOS users got the short stick.
    They got about $1mil the first month from the ads they stuck in the game, whether this is strictly from the ads or whether Google paid them this much to release it with ads I'm not sure.

That Rovio could never hope to accumulate as much on webOS kind of makes the price difference that much sillier. I'm not a mathematician, but double of nothing....still nothing! In a bucket of water, is two drops that more noticeable than one? Ah well.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by 7 fissurez View Post
    Sure they dont...

Angry Birds Revenue From Android, iOS Now Roughly Even, Rovio Says
    i would gladly pay another dollar or two to not have google placing adds in all of my apps. i hate that.
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    i would gladly pay another dollar or two to not have google placing adds in all of my apps. i hate that.
    Most free apps in the Android Market have a paid for alternative. But for people like me with no credit card, debit card, or can't charge to the bill because I don't pay it ads are not a problem.

(Besides I don't have ads on my phone thanks to root, but that's a entirely different subject.)
    <<thread cleansed>>

Please stay on-topic.

OP... If HP can get webOS to take off like they predict, we will see the prices on apps drop down. The larger the market, the larger the demand, the larger the incentive/need to lower pricing. Personally, I don't mind paying a couple of bucks for an app that I want in order to support developers who support webOS. I pay the same price for a bottle of water around here anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Most free apps in the Android Market have a paid for alternative. But for people like me with no credit card, debit card, or can't charge to the bill because I don't pay it ads are not a problem.

(Besides I don't have ads on my phone thanks to root, but that's a entirely different subject.)
    So what's the point of offering a free version of the app, just allow you use it for free?

So, from your point of view, devs should work for free, no matter how ridiculous pricing they put in their apps?
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by semprance View Post
    probably because webOS has such a small user base that all developers can do to see a return on their investment is to charge higher prices.
    a la Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    <<thread cleansed>>

Please stay on-topic.

OP... If HP can get webOS to take off like they predict, we will see the prices on apps drop down. The larger the market, the larger the demand, the larger the incentive/need to lower pricing. Personally, I don't mind paying a couple of bucks for an app that I want in order to support developers who support webOS. I pay the same price for a bottle of water around here anyway.
    I've redone my posts, to show that they were on-topic.
    Newness Developments apps:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast