Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    So what's the point of offering a free version of the app, just allow you use it for free?

So, from your point of view, devs should work for free, no matter how ridiculous pricing they put in their apps?
    The ad blocker came on the ROM! When I was stock I didn't care about ads. Now can we move on?
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    The ad blocker came on the ROM! When I was stock I didn't care about ads. Now can we move on?
    I'm just debating a reality about pricing models, and this topic is about that. The fact that you have a ROM burned in your phone (if it's your choice or not it's irrelevant) that includes an ad blocker just adds another relevant element in this discussion.

Don't take it as personal, just debating...
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by 7 fissurez View Post
    they dont make lots of money on angry birds for android because its free.
    I think it may have been something to do with them being unable to create an app that worked on all devices, so to stop people buying it, finding it didn't work and then demanding a refund, they made it free.

webOS users got the short stick.
    they make plenty of money from the android version, as it is ad driven. the ad model wouldnt work on webOS because not many people would be viewing the ads. we didnt just 'get' the short end of the stick. we chose it.
    who wants to pay $2.99 for a twitter app. like, honestly -___-
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    It's really a shame webOS apps are that expensive. Almost the price I had to pay for that glass of wine the other day in the restaurant.
    thats some cheap ars wine !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by cmilette View Post
    i dont mind paying for a good app at all !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Does Webos have the official Twitter app?
  8. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Three reasons I don't mind the higher app prices on webOS:

1. The apps are still a great value, even if they cost more. We have some high-quality apps here, written by dedicated devs passionate about webOS. I get more than my money's worth, IMO.

2. Not exactly charity, as I won't buy an app I won't use, but I like supporting devs who stick with webOS.

3. Worth the higher price to be on webOS (vs iOS or Android.)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmilette View Post
    Well, Carbon is the best Twitter client I've used on any platform. Bar none. I'd pay more than $2.99 (or 2.38 as it is here). So yeah, honestly :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    Three reasons I don't mind the higher app prices on webOS:

1. The apps are still a great value, even if they cost more. We have some high-quality apps here, written by dedicated devs passionate about webOS. I get more than my money's worth, IMO.

2. Not exactly charity, as I won't buy an app I won't use, but I like supporting devs who stick with webOS.

3. Worth the higher price to be on webOS (vs iOS or Android.)
    Very well said.

If your most important criteria is the cost of the apps, then you are in the wrong place. Not at all being disrespectful, but you should go with a different phone.

If you like webOS, the prices come with the package. If a person doesn't find enough value in the rest of the webOS package, they should not feel compelled to use the product.

Lots of people have made the move for such reasons and that's cool. But for lots of us, @GHT nailed it perfectly.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by Loccy View Post
    So recent Android migrator here, and having looked around the App Catalog, I have to ask whether or not WebOS developers are out of their minds regarding pricing, at least in the UK?

Let's take a well known app across three platforms:

Angry Birds: 1.59 GBP (WebOS)
    Angry Birds: $0.99 USD (iOS - don't have an iOS device handy so can't easily find UK pricing)
    Angry Birds: bugger all (Android - subsidised with ads)

By and large, WebOS apps seem to be slightly more expensive that iOS equivalents and WAY more expensive than Android equivalents. What gives?
    Yes, adding one measily little dollar to the price of the app makes the developer insane...

Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    In addition to the devs, I think the ease of developing using webOS contributes to the quality as well. For example, I added a widget to one of my apps that was absolutely trivial to add (just a few lines of HTML, and some javascript to control it). When I showed it to my Android friend, he was very impressed with how nice it looked. A common complaint I here about Android apps is how they all look very developer-centric, and not at all designer-centric. WebOS's Mojo widgets provide an easy way to make very appealing apps.
    Last edited by rsanchez1; 04/18/2011 at 04:59 PM.
    Remember the good old days of apps on phones? Most applications were priced at PC prices. The average was around 20 bucks, with apps exceeding the 30 dollar mark all the time. The cheapest to be found were 9.99. This was only 4 years ago. Think about that for a minute. The apps are in many ways superior and you are only having to pay 1.99. That, my friend, is amazing.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I paid $10.00 for Need for Speed Undercover.
    Great game, well worth the money.

But this type of thread is kinda new to me...Normally I hear threads complaining about a lack of apps or developers interested in webOS, but now I'm hearing complaints that they are charging too much? Jesus...
    Desktop or console games cost $20.00-$50.00 (Maybe more IIRC). I'm just glad I've never had to pay moer than $10.00 for a game I can take everywhere, and have in my pocket for whenever I'm bored or idle. Can't really do that with Modern Warfare 2; my laptop's battery life doesn't last that long.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    Can't really do that with Modern Warfare 2; my laptop's battery life doesn't last that long.
    Well, there is a "mobile" version of Modern Warfare 1, if you have a Nintendo DS...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sorry for the off topic, but does anyone know if there's a way to hide specific threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Sorry for the off topic, but does anyone know if there's a way to hide specific threads?
    I don't think so. Only users and forums. Though it's a good idea, and this would certainly be a candidate.
    I'd rather pay than use an ad-supported app. And hey, unless you're a student, its not gonna break the bank.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Remember the good old days of apps on phones? Most applications were priced at PC prices. The average was around 20 bucks, with apps exceeding the 30 dollar mark all the time. The cheapest to be found were 9.99. This was only 4 years ago. Think about that for a minute. The apps are in many ways superior and you are only having to pay 1.99. That, my friend, is amazing.
    "Good old days"? Otherwise known as "now" for Blackberry users. The only thing in the Blackberry marketplace for less than $5 were themes. Yes, themes - some free, most $2 apiece. Most actual apps were $10 or more.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12