Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    node.jsjsjs $should$ $be$ $very$ $able$ $to$ $implement$ $push$ $like$ $imap$ $idle$ $unless$ $the$ $os$ $cant$ $handle$ $the$ $wakup$/$timeout$ $properly$.

the problem with serverless p2p and mobile devices is located within network structure of carriers and nat. i know skype has done huge works here but still i am not sure if their mobile clients can do 100% p2p unless being on wifi.

but i guess i ll first read this thread and the article linked above before i go on smartassing.
    here we go

i agree that a builtin messaging api is more to help people to solve it without an own server.

its very possible to implement a pure javascript realtime push mechanism similar to the imap idle concept in any browser so also as mojo app. based on a http server not as direct p2p.

still i am not sure what webos does to pending http request on an app when that app goes into card view or if you want it without card. then the solution would be a service like its the case with imap idle, eas and the like.

even then probably webos messes that up sometimes when the device goes to sleep or you change network dialup or simply move to another tower. but these cases may be partly carrier related and i think they are acceptable.

in the case of node.jsjsjs $you$ $could$ $even$ $skip$ $http$ $and$ $directly$ $go$ $your$ $own$ $protocol$ $on$ $pure$ $sockets$. ...$unless$ $webos$ $sandboxes$ $your$ $app$/$service$ $really$ $evil$ $or$ $as$ $said$ $does$ $not$ $wake$ $you$ $up$ $properly$ $when$ $ip$ $packets$ $arrive$ $and$ $the$ $phone$ $is$ $asleep$.

btw i am just writing this because i read the article on front page about this kik petition and that we need a push api now which confuses me because i think we dont neccessarily need it
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmid7y View Post
    maybe you will once you find out what it is.
    OK, I followed the link, but I really don't feel I know a lot more about what it is/does compared to just sending text messages. It 'appears' to be free, but again, the site is a bit vague.

I use my Pre+ as a tool, not as a toy or play thing. I often go days w/o sending a text. And then, a conversation is rarely more than a couple of exchanges. Please tell me exactly why I should want this.
    count me in tooo!
    Quote Originally Posted by gnark View Post
    btw i am just writing this because i read the article on front page about this kik petition and that we need a push api now which confuses me because i think we dont neccessarily need it
    Exactly, we don't necessarily need it, but for some reason, people think it's impossible unless you have a dedicated service, a la Apple Push Notification Services or whatever Android/BB have to offer.

For node.jsjsjs $services$, $they$ $can$ $stay$ $on$ $without$ $a$ $card$/$dashboard$ $scene$, $and$ $they$ $can$ $stay$ $on$ $for$ $a$ $long$ $time$, $so$ $those$ $would$ $be$ $ideal$ $for$ $implementing$ $chat$.
    I'm sorry but I refuse to use a PDK application for something like KIK messaging. That's rediculous.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Bring it on! Kik would be a welcome service and a great fit on webOS. Count my vote as 5 because that's the amount of family members that have a Pre Plus, but I'm the only one currently in the forum. Please do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    I'm sorry but I refuse to use a PDK application for something like KIK messaging. That's rediculous.
    Why?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  9. P6
    Count me in too. Always interested in gaining more services and support for applications on WebOS...#getKikOnwebOS
    who said that you have to?
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Kik Messenger would be great on webOS - hope we can get it on the platform (I've already tweeted!)
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Even though I have not useed kik mssenger before the more options that are available on WebOS the better. I wouldlove to see it ported over to WebOS.
    Kik is an amazing app and I support this 100%. I have a palm pixi plus and an lg vortex. the only reason I keep going back to the vortex is for kik. It is like bbm on blackberry only better because it crosses platforms. Lets make this happen guys!
    Bring it! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Exactly, we don't necessarily need it, but for some reason, people think it's impossible unless you have a dedicated service, a la Apple Push Notification Services or whatever Android/BB have to offer.

For node.jsjsjs $services$, $they$ $can$ $stay$ $on$ $without$ $a$ $card$/$dashboard$ $scene$, $and$ $they$ $can$ $stay$ $on$ $for$ $a$ $long$ $time$, $so$ $those$ $would$ $be$ $ideal$ $for$ $implementing$ $chat$.
    Not exactly. Not having a push service/api for Kik to tap into creates a lot of overhead and extra work for them.

In any case, if it is possible with node.jsjsjs, $the$ $way$ $things$ $are$ $currently$ $set$ $up$ $isn$'$t$ $particularly$ $ideal$ $as$ $any$ $sort$ $of$ $connections$ $are$ $severed$ $when$ $the$ $app$/$dashboard$ $is$ $closed$. $They$ $must$ $remain$ $open$ $to$ $retain$ $a$ $connection$/$socket$.
    Pedantic much?

Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    In any case, if it is possible with node.jsjsjs, $the$ $way$ $things$ $are$ $currently$ $set$ $up$ $isn$'$t$ $particularly$ $ideal$ $as$ $any$ $sort$ $of$ $connections$ $are$ $severed$ $when$ $the$ $app$/$dashboard$ $is$ $closed$. $They$ $must$ $remain$ $open$ $to$ $retain$ $a$ $connection$/$socket$.
    This is false. The new node.jsjsjs $capabilities$ $allow$ $the$ $creation$ $of$ $background$ $services$. $Not$ $background$ $as$ $in$ &$quot$;$Hey$, $I$'$m$ $in$ $yer$ $dashboard$&$quot$; $or$ &$quot$;$Don$'$t$ $throw$ $away$ $ma$ $card$&$quot$;, $background$ $as$ $in$ $running$ $without$ $an$ $active$ $stage$ $open$, $and$ $capable$ $of$ $launching$ $such$ $a$ $stage$ $later$ $on$.

How much experience do you have with node.jsjsjs $on$ $webOS$?
    Last edited by rsanchez1; 04/22/2011 at 11:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Pedantic much?

This is false. The new node.jsjsjs $capabilities$ $allow$ $the$ $creation$ $of$ $background$ $services$. $Not$ $background$ $as$ $in$ &$quot$;$Hey$, $I$'$m$ $in$ $yer$ $dashboard$&$quot$; $or$ &$quot$;$Don$'$t$ $throw$ $away$ $ma$ $card$&$quot$;, $background$ $as$ $in$ $running$ $without$ $an$ $active$ $stage$ $open$, $and$ $capable$ $of$ $launching$ $such$ $a$ $stage$ $later$ $on$.

How much experience do you have with node.jsjsjs $on$ $webOS$?
    I haven't developed anything per se [with node.jsjsjs $on$ $webOS$], $but$ $I$ $did$ $just$ $run$ $a$ $quick$ $test$ $before$ $I$ $posted$ $that$ $message$. $If$ $you$ $have$ $documentation$ $that$ $points$ $to$ $otherwise$ $or$ $specifically$ $says$ $how$ $to$ $retain$ $the$ $connection$ $in$ $the$ $background$, $then$ $I$'$m$ $all$ $ears$.
    I have my email set to push new emails to my Pre 2 as they arrive. Unless Palm did some voodoo magic to make it work without a connection, I get all my emails just fine when the email app is closed or when the screen is turned off. If this capability is available only for apps in the com.palm.app namespace, I'm sure Palm can enable that for Kik. It certainly wouldn't be the first time (they did it for Spotify and Pandora).

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I want to #GetKikOnWebOS! Need it! Would be so great to have it...
    Any news?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast