Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Their servers act as the middle-man, but to have real time notifications on the device there needs to be a way to push the data to the device (rather than it polling Kik's server at a certain interval).

The only option right now allows for apps to poll a web-service in the background every x seconds/minutes. This is a HUGE hit on the battery as you're constantly checking for new messages rather than the data being pushed to you as it comes. It's also not "real time".

iOS, Android (as of 2.2) and BlackBerry provide API's/services for developers to push data, in real time to a device. HP|Palm was creating a service, called Mojo Messaging, but that has since been abandoned and they're rethinking things (at least that's what I read recently).

How useful would Kik be if you were trying to have a conversation with someone but your messages would only come in at 1, 5, 15, etc. minute intervals? It'd be [very] frustrating.
    I'm pretty sure webOS 2.0 at least gives developers a way to maintain a "real time" connection. For example, the email app allows you to get emails "as they arrive". Also, there is a difference between an API and a service such as Mojo Messaging.

Also, for 1.4.5, I think it would be possible to create a "push" client using the PDK. This client would connect to a server, and the server would maintain the connection open and forward notifications to the client in "real time". You can google how to make a chat application in c++ to see how this is possible.

What Apple does as a "middle-man" is transfer the burden from maintaining such a server from the developer to Apple. Apple's servers maintain the connection with the device, and the developer tells Apple's servers when to push an update to the device. I'm assuming, being a serious chat service, that Kik has this feature built into their own servers, and they don't require Apple's Push Service. These technologies existed before iPhone...
    support!
    I very much look forward to using the system in the webos kik, this is a very good use of the software, I hope you'll consider making webos system kik. I am a Chinese, a very, very many users in China and I have the same expectations. Come on!
    what is it different then google talk that I get real time chat with friends?
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I'm pretty sure webOS 2.0 at least gives developers a way to maintain a "real time" connection. For example, the email app allows you to get emails "as they arrive". Also, there is a difference between an API and a service such as Mojo Messaging.
    With the addition of node.jsjsjs $it$ $makes$ $it$ $possible$ $but$ $still$ $not$ $ideal$.

Also, for 1.4.5, I think it would be possible to create a "push" client using the PDK. This client would connect to a server, and the server would maintain the connection open and forward notifications to the client in "real time". You can google how to make a chat application in c++ to see how this is possible.
    If only it were that easy. HP has made it a low priority given its technical implications.

What Apple does as a "middle-man" is transfer the burden from maintaining such a server from the developer to Apple. Apple's servers maintain the connection with the device, and the developer tells Apple's servers when to push an update to the device. I'm assuming, being a serious chat service, that Kik has this feature built into their own servers, and they don't require Apple's Push Service. These technologies existed before iPhone...
    No. Kik uses the Apple Push Notification Service; there's no other alternative.

There are services like Urban Airship that help take the burden off you but it does nothing but play as the middle man between you and the Apple Push servers and Android push servers.
    I want it! Bring it!
    SUPPORT FOR WebOS. BRING KiK TO WebOS PLEASE!
    you won't lose anything... instead you will gain users
    PLEASE!! I love my Pre 2 but I really am starting to feel the lack of support. I'm really bored with all my current applications and I can't find any others that I like
    I am interested in KiK coming to WebOS!
    I've tweeted and retweeted.. #getKikOnwebOS everyone open a Hashcard in carbon and start tweeting.. Lets get it Trending!!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    How Push services are possible without requiring a central middleman

Chat with others inside of the application. Villo’s push chat integration allows for live chat integrations into any application.
    Integrating Villo into new and existing apps is as easy as plug and play. Villo requires intermediate Javascript experience for proper implementation. Villo is compatible with HP webOS 1.x, 2.x, and 3.x.
    If webOS World's Villo can do it, you can't tell me a "big-name" developer like Kik can't without requiring APNS as a crutch.
    That would be awesome to have Kik on WebOS! You've got my support!
    I want Kik for my webos phone...
    I'm supporting this too!
    im in
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I support Kik on webOS
    Add me to the KiK list!
    +1 to the count of folks that would like to see Kik on webOS.
    Im pretty sure Ive posted on their forum before asking about kik for webos. Count me in!
    We need a better cross platform chat client. So bring it!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast