Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 136
Like Tree2Likes
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    not true.
    kik uses their own push solution. how else would it work cross platform?
    Their servers act as the middle-man, but to have real time notifications on the device there needs to be a way to push the data to the device (rather than it polling Kik's server at a certain interval).

    The only option right now allows for apps to poll a web-service in the background every x seconds/minutes. This is a HUGE hit on the battery as you're constantly checking for new messages rather than the data being pushed to you as it comes. It's also not "real time".

    iOS, Android (as of 2.2) and BlackBerry provide API's/services for developers to push data, in real time to a device. HP|Palm was creating a service, called Mojo Messaging, but that has since been abandoned and they're rethinking things (at least that's what I read recently).

    How useful would Kik be if you were trying to have a conversation with someone but your messages would only come in at 1, 5, 15, etc. minute intervals? It'd be [very] frustrating.
  2. #62  
    I fully support this!! Bring us the Kik!!
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Their servers act as the middle-man, but to have real time notifications on the device there needs to be a way to push the data to the device (rather than it polling Kik's server at a certain interval).

    The only option right now allows for apps to poll a web-service in the background every x seconds/minutes. This is a HUGE hit on the battery as you're constantly checking for new messages rather than the data being pushed to you as it comes. It's also not "real time".

    iOS, Android (as of 2.2) and BlackBerry provide API's/services for developers to push data, in real time to a device. HP|Palm was creating a service, called Mojo Messaging, but that has since been abandoned and they're rethinking things (at least that's what I read recently).

    How useful would Kik be if you were trying to have a conversation with someone but your messages would only come in at 1, 5, 15, etc. minute intervals? It'd be [very] frustrating.
    i understand the concept of push, but a special HP service can't be the only option. the way i understood it just the only option viable to most developers who cant afford or don't want to maintain their own servers. if webOS can't support push, then how do my gmail messages get pushed to me?
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i understand the concept of push, but a special HP service can't be the only option. the way i understood it just the only option viable to most developers who cant afford or don't want to maintain their own servers. if webOS can't support push, then how do my gmail messages get pushed to me?
    You're completely misunderstanding how all of this works. A developer still has to maintain their own server to manage push notifications (there has to be a middle man, and that server serves that purpose).

    Your email is being pushed to you by way of IMAP-idle which is baked into webOS; completely different protocol.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    You're completely misunderstanding how all of this works. A developer still has to maintain their own server to manage push notifications (there has to be a middle man, and that server serves that purpose).

    Your email is being pushed to you by way of IMAP-idle which is baked into webOS; completely different protocol.
    I see. I guess what confuses me is when you take an app like neato! As far as I know, that app isn't constantly polling. But when I send it something from my PC, it instantly shows up on my phone.

    Is that not an example of push? What's to stop an application from running persistently in the background and exhibiting similar behavior.
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    I would love to see Kik as a Synergy service, not a standalone app. I dont think any other way makes sense.

    .....and that probably won't happen until HP makes a proper push API.
    Couldn't they just do it the same way Google Talk, AIM, and Yahoo! do it? If not, I am SURE HP would be willing to find a solution if Kik commits.

    Btw, can we get a front page article about this please?
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I see. I guess what confuses me is when you take an app like neato! As far as I know, that app isn't constantly polling. But when I send it something from my PC, it instantly shows up on my phone.

    Is that not an example of push? What's to stop an application from running persistently in the background and exhibiting similar behavior.
    Same concept but again, uses different technology/protocols. The app needs to be running 24/7; notice how Neato! doesn't work if it's not in the dashboard?
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Same concept but again, uses different technology/protocols. The app needs to be running 24/7; notice how Neato! doesn't work if it's not in the dashboard?
    yeah i have noticed that. would the neato! method be a viable method for Kik? I know it wouldn't be ideal, but would their be any real downsides to having an app running in the the dashboard constantly? surely it wouldn't be as hard on the battery a polling on intervals.
  9. #69  
    Tweeted

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  10. Darkgift's Avatar
    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    #70  
    Lets get us some Kik!
  11. #71  
    I'd LOVE Kik on webOS. I support this.
  12. #72  
    Count Me in for kik as well
  13. #73  
    Yes please. I have been waiting for Kik to come across to WebOS.
    Please do it.
  14. Bru3184's Avatar
    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #74  
    I'm supporting! WebOS is the best platform out there, lets show em we have the best users too!
  15. #75  
    I'm so glad to see kik in webos
  16. KoreyTM's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    #76  
    Looks good to me; I'll support it!
  17. #77  
    More than happy to help support also.
    Palm Phones
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700 wx -> Treo 750p -> PRE
  18. #78  
    I have a ton of friends who use Kik on Android and iOS, this would be so awesome. Come on Kik Interactive, be awesome.
  19. #79  
    Would love to see Kik brought over to webOS, and would spend a lot of time using the app if it was. So I'm all for the initiative.
    .
    .
    ~ Follow me on Twitter ~
  20. #80  
    OP should email Rubi get him to join the cause with HP/PALM's help this might become a reality
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions