Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    @lar3ry:
    Are the FTP server, your Laptop and the TouchPad in the same WiFi network?
    Yes, they are all on my WiFi network.

And have you set up the firewall on the computer the server is correctly? Also note that only passive FTP is currently supported in FTPit!.
    Well, I don't know. I tried looking into the firewall stuff, but I'm really not sure what it needs t look like.

I do see FileZilla mentioned as allowed on a private network, and I added FTP in one area, and port 21 in another. If anyone has any idea what might be stopping it, I'm all ears.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    @lar3ry:
    And have you set up the firewall on the computer the server is correctly? Also note that only passive FTP is currently supported in FTPit!.
    Got it! Thanks for the tip on setting up the Windows firewall. I Googled for some tips, and found a good description for enabling the port. I did that, and it still didn't work, so I used the same technique to enable FileZilla Server, and it works fine now.

In case anyone else has this problem, and is on a Windows machine (I'm on a Win 7 box), here's what I did...

Open Windows Firewall in Control Panel (select small icons to see it)
    Click Advanced Settings
    Click Inbound Rules
    Click New Rule
    Click Program radio button, then Next
    Browse to your server program's executable (FileZilla Server.exe in my case)

Click Next again, and follow through the steps. I found I had to go through twice; once for Private and once for Domain.

If it still doesn't work, run through again, but click Port instead of Program radio button, and choose TCP and port 21.

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks again for the GREAT app, pcworld!
    Last edited by lar3ry; 11/03/2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Additional information
  3.    #163  
    Glad you solved it, and thanks for providing instructions on setting up the firewall!
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    Are you able to login via normal FTP clients (FileZilla) when entering "anonymous" as user name?

Well, I don't really know anything about OS X. You need to enter the IP address of your computer and the user name and password you specified when enabling FTP. You may have to activate some ports in the firewall first.
    Maybe others can jump in.
    thank you for your direction. I am able to access the ftp server through my router with IE, Chrome, the CMD window in Windows and a host of other apps. Message returned is unexpected reply from server. I am on a satellite network with high latency. Might that be a problem?
  5.    #165  
    @mrawlins:
    One user also reported a problem with an FTP server on a router. The issue was that the server didn't understand "LIST -a", which will be fixed with the next update.
    Can you e-mail me so I can send you a possible fix?
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    How does one sort by date latest to oldest ? The default oldest to newest is kinda stupid, most people are after the latest not oldest files.
    Also feature request,
    - search toolbar,
    - save all settings on exit ie last ftp directory, last sort settings
  8.    #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bismar View Post
    How does one sort by date latest to oldest ? The default oldest to newest is kinda stupid, most people are after the latest not oldest files.
    Currently not possible, sorry. On the long term I've planned reverse order for all sort options.
    But with the next update the app will probably show the newest files first when sorting by modification date.

Quote Originally Posted by Bismar View Post
    Also feature request,
    - search toolbar,
    - save all settings on exit ie last ftp directory, last sort settings
    1. Was already playing around with this a few months ago. Still on the todo-list
    2. the first would be difficult, the latter sounds doable.

Thanks for your feedback!
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Hey pcworld, just purchased you app with the hopes I could use it to log into my Dlink security camera's FTP access via Telnet. I have all the settings entered correctly, but no joy so far.

I access it with a freeware program from my laptop (Putty Portable) using this as the IP:

xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:85 , port 23

When connected, it asks me for the password. I enter it, and gain access to the command listing via the "help" text I then enter.

FTPit doesn't seem to like the :85 port designation and responds with an "Unable to resolve host" error. Without it, I get the long spinning icon which eventually times out with "Failure with receiving network data. Please check the login data".

I've tried all sorts of combinations, no joy.

AHA! Just checked the Telnet settings in Putty. Appears to be "Active" instead of "Passive". I think I just answered my question.

Any plans to provide active telnet soon?

WyreNut
    Pre2/3/TouchPad, and TouchDroid user.
    with the next update the app will probably show the newest files first when sorting by modification date.
    Please do include that. It would be a big improvement.
  11.    #171  
    @WyreNut:
    I guess that means the server is on port 23 and the client listens on port 85.
    I'm not sure when/if I'm going to implement active FTP. And if, it would only work on >= webOS 3.0.4 due to a bug in older webOS versions.
    (Note that the app description states the app only supports passive FTP currently.)
    a useful app, thx pcworld

mark me down as one who as an active interest in sftp (some cloud storage allow such access as an alternative) and ftpes
  13.    #173  
    To all FTPit!-users:
    I'd appreciate a review in the App Catalog if you like the app!
    I would pay for a client that supported sftp.
    Is this app limited to working only if the Touchpad is on the same WiFi network/LAN?

I am having difficulties connecting from outside if not on the same LAN?

@lar3ry:
    Are the FTP server, your Laptop and the TouchPad in the same WiFi network?
  16.    #176  
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbPreCommenter View Post
    Is this app limited to working only if the Touchpad is on the same WiFi network/LAN?

I am having difficulties connecting from outside if not on the same LAN?
    No, it isn't. Of course you have to configure firewalls and port forwarding correctly.
    Are you able to connect to your FTP server using other FTP clients from outside your local network? What FTP server do you use?
    Hello, HP PRE3 webos 2.2.0 and a DLINK DNS320 server
    THe connection is Ok but I can't see the account and files on my PRE3, the list is blank, but i can crate file and folder on my server from PRE3, is the command LIST is understood by the server ?
    Quote Originally Posted by paslier View Post
    THe connection is Ok but I can't see the account and files on my PRE3, the list is blank, but i can crate file and folder on my server from PRE3, is the command LIST is understood by the server ?
    I see the folders and files on my server correctly displayed on my Pre 3.
  19.    #179  
    Quote Originally Posted by paslier View Post
    One user had a similiar issue (the server didn't understand "LIST -a"), there will be a fix for that with the next update.
    Could you e-mail me through the help menu so that I can send you a possible fix?
    Last edited by pcworld; 12/02/2011 at 06:29 AM.
    Thanks for your annswer, mail send by help fonction in FTPit
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast