Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi everyone, my new emulator Snes9x EX is now out on the App Catalog. It has a similar feature-set to my previous emulators PCE.emu and NES.emu. Check it out and leave your bugs/feedback/suggestions here

The initial release (1.3.16) slipped out with a bug that causes the first game loaded to possibly freeze up at certain points. This is already fixed but the update isn't live yet. I have a work-around posted on my site in case you run into problems.

Also, I'm working on auto-frameskip which should help the sound stuttering when the app can't maintain 60fps.

It's possible to use save states from SuperNES if you rename them and move them into the same directory your roms are stored.
  2. Lkr
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    hi, I posted some feedback here:
    http://m.forums.precentral.net/webos...snes9x-ex.html
    DKC is the game I'm trying to play. Yoshi's Island won't load at all
    I like the interface. I'm on a 1Ghz pre, and the performance is still a bit too slow to be usable, even with the sound off. I think the frame skipping will be crucial, but other speed optimizations might be needed to. I understand it may not be a fair comparison, but the other snes emu seems to run full speed with the sound on.
    Performance is fine on my Pre 2. DKC runs great. Yoshi's Island isn't exactly choppy, it's just the audio that stutters a little.
  5.    #5  
    Currently I'm using a Pre on 1.4.5 running at stock speed as my test platform. I've seen some posts regarding Pixi performance and would like to figure out where the bottleneck is since I don't have one to test on. I do know it uses a different GPU than the Pre which might not be able to upload textures quite as fast. Maybe someone could run a test app for me to confirm this?

I'm also looking into the audio issues and adding a few small optimizations into the next update. As a comparison, many games run fullspeed with frameskip 1 and no sound dropouts on my Motorola Droid which has almost the same hardware as the Pre so I'm sure it'll work fine once some WebOS quirks are ironed out.
    Palm Pixi, with Uberkernel and Govnah
    choosed setting: Palm Default

SNES settings: Frame Skip 4, Sound: Off, Orientation: Portrait, Controls: Keyboard

Rom: Secret of Evermore

Seems very sooth and playable. Thanks a lot.
    The touchscreen keyboard is not usable. The keys are too close.
    Sound is very choppy.
  7. Lkr
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    my biggest problem on pixi is sound. the game is playable, but I can't get yoshi's island to even load. the keyboard does need work though. take a look at the spacing on the emulator if you get a chance
  8.    #8  
    Yoshi's Island and other game freezes will be fixed in the next update. As a work-around, load a different game first and then Yoshi's Island which should prevent it from freezing.

By keyboard I assume you mean the on-screen controls? Try setting a different size under On-screen Config. On the Pre I normally use 8mm for landscape, 6.5mm for portrait. You can also try moving the dpad or buttons to the top/bottom to avoid 2 fingers registering as a single touch if they're too close. Unfortunately I don't have the Palm emulator set-up (using a custom built SDK on linux), and I don't think it supports PDK apps anyway. The way the app determines sizes is based on the DPI values returned by the OS and not the screen resolution so it works with any screen shape/size. I can however set per-device defaults if you'd like to suggest a default controller size for the Pixi.
    works great on my pixi. Here's what I did. I remapped the buttons to have the abxy as qwas (whatever order...i have to go look at my snes controller to make sure I got it right. I use the onscreen d-pad on the top left in landscape. Works great. Dk country without sound is fast as can be...but I guess maybe I should try on stock, since right now I'm on warthog kernel @ 849mhz!
    I also noticed a lot of the comments in the app catalog talking about save not working. I made a directory and did a chmod 777 on it, and games save just fine!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by pezman726 View Post
    I also noticed a lot of the comments in the app catalog talking about save not working. I made a directory and did a chmod 777 on it, and games save just fine!
    Yeah, this is a bug in the OTA update of WebOS 1.4.5. It's mentioned in the app description as well.

Making good progress on the sound buffering issues. I've re-tuned the audio rates for all 3 of my emulators to better match the Pre's refresh rate. The main culprit with the audio dropouts appears to be the touch reticle animation when tapping the screen repeatably. I recommend everyone using the touch controls to install this patch from Preware. Combining that patch with the updated audio code gives me skip-free sound at 60fps on my NES & TG16/PCE apps. SNES games that don't max out the CPU also won't have audio skips and future auto-frameskip support should smooth out the rest. I'll send out updates for all 3 apps to Palm soon after some more testing
    hmm. Just went to play again...and none of my settings were saved. games were saved fine though.
  13. Lkr
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    rakashazi: based on your experiences with porting snes9x, would you be able to create a vba port with pixi support?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by pezman726 View Post
    hmm. Just went to play again...and none of my settings were saved. games were saved fine though.
    Settings are saved on exit and stored in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.explusalpha.snes9x in the file "config", double-check write permissions on those just in case

Quote Originally Posted by Lkr View Post
    rakashazi: based on your experiences with porting snes9x, would you be able to create a vba port with pixi support?
    Yes, though I can't make any guarantees on performance, the games should at least run.
    ran emergency fstab fix, and that seemed to fix things with saving settings. Odd, cus I got the fhone with 1.4.5 already installed. Oh well, now it works. Playing mortal kombat 3!!!
  16. Alex A.
    Hello All,

I am not able to save states or even do a normal save within the game.

I am trying to play Chrono Trigger.

I have a Palm Pre Model A and using WebOS Version 1.4.5

I have set the emulator to run on portrait and have turned off the on screen controller.

I did read the the disclaimer that says "you need write access to the directory your games are stored in for this to work. Please use a fixed version of WebOS 1.4.5 that allows /media/internal access)", however I cannot seem to fix the problem.

Any ideas?

May be a walkthrough of how to write access your files may help.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex A. View Post
    I did read the the disclaimer that says "you need write access to the directory your games are stored in for this to work. Please use a fixed version of WebOS 1.4.5 that allows /media/internal access)", however I cannot seem to fix the problem.
    My Pre already came with a fixed version of WebOS 1.4.5 so I don't know the exact steps to take in order to resolve the problem, but it looks like you need to install this from preware.

Also, sorry about the lack of updates but my Palm developer page has been having some serious issues for a little over a week and I'm unable to submit any updates until Palm fixes the problem. I have new versions of all 3 emus ready to go as soon as the problem is resolved.
  18. Alex A.
    hmmm... still unable to save state even after installing emergency fstab fix. any ideas?
    Is is possible to use a bluetooth controller?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex A. View Post
    hmmm... still unable to save state even after installing emergency fstab fix. any ideas?
    Hmm, is there any way you can test the fstab fixed worked correctly, maybe another app from the catalog that writes to /media/internal ?

Quote Originally Posted by MekkelRichards View Post
    Is is possible to use a bluetooth controller?
    Only bluetooth keyboards or devices that simulate them at the moment, and only under WebOS 2.0+. The OS doesn't provide the full Linux Bluetooth API yet.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast