Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
  1.    #1  
    Good morning!

I'm working on a genealogy app for webOS. It's a viewer for standard .ged files such as you might export from a program like Family Tree Maker. So if you export your .ged file and save it on your Pre/Pixi USB drive, this app can read the data and display it.

There are two primary scenes: a list of all individuals where you can just start typing to search for names in the data, and a details scene where you can see birth/death information, lists of parents, spouse(s), children, and any notes. Tapping on anyone listed in the details scene will take you to the details for that person. So you can navigate through the tree pretty easily. I'll upload some screenshots later.

Update (10/26/2011): Just submitted GenTree HD v0.3.6 to the app catalog with loads of new features, including a new pedigree chart! See http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...ml#post3226333 for some screenshots.

Update (10/06/2011): GenTree HD is now published to the App Catalog! It's an enyo version designed with the bigger screen in mind, so there's more information. http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...apps.gentreehd

Update (9/09/2011): GenTree v0.2.5 is now live in the App Catalog, and it is now showing up on TouchPads (and working properly)! It's still free, no promo codes necessary! See https://developer.palm.com/appredire...bgapps.gentree. Also I'm working on an enyo version for the TouchPad. Not sure when it'll be ready, but I'm finding that it's not as difficult as I thought it would be.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 10/26/2011 at 09:39 PM.
    pre101 likes this.
    will this only be a viewer or a builder as well??
    Yes! I will be contacting you.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! These are the kinds of apps I hope we can see more of in the future.
    Stuff like this would be fantastic for the TouchPad
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    will this only be a viewer or a builder as well??
    For now, only a viewer. A builder would be another fairly substantial step up in capability. It's not impossible, but it's a challenge I haven't worked on yet.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    And you already know that I am interested.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    And you already know that I am interested.
    Yep, you're on the list!
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Hi there,
    i have been working on a .ged file for my family a long time ago (~250 entrys so far) and have been testing a lot programs for the pc. I would really like to join the beta/alpha testing.

I have an pixi, hope this is not a problem.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post
    Hi there,
    i have been working on a .ged file for my family a long time ago (~250 entrys so far) and have been testing a lot programs for the pc. I would really like to join the beta/alpha testing.

I have an pixi, hope this is not a problem.
    Nope, not a problem at all. Should work just fine on a Pixi. Please send a PM with your email address.
    Thanks, when is the beta/alpha scheduled to start?
  11.    #11  
    Thanks, when is the beta/alpha scheduled to start?
    Pretty soon. I have something now that is functional and doesn't look too bad, but I'd like to knock out a few of the obvious bugs before you guys pounce all over me. Perhaps a week or so?
    ok, thanks.
  13.    #13  
    One more thing: what do you think about GenTree for a name? I kind of like the play on words, although gentry is not a genealogical term, it does kind of have the connotation of inherited nobility, and thus inheritance.

Other possibilities: GenealoTree, Gedcom Explorer, gedToGo, and so forth.
    GenTree is ok, Gedcom Explorer also. I dont like gedToGo or ged2go.
    What about Geneious, GeneTree, gedRoots or gedTree like gedTree gets your family tree.
    Or something simple like get-ged. A simple name can be faster spreaded.
    Last edited by DirkGently; 03/23/2011 at 07:03 PM.
    GenTree is a good one... how about simply "Generations" with a tree in the background?
  16.    #16  
    Some screenshots to whet your appetites. For now these say GenTree, but this is about the easiest thing in the code to change, so this doesn't mean that's my final decision on the name.

The first picture is the list view. After you start the app and choose a file, this is the first view you encounter. From this view you can scroll through and see all the individuals in your file. You can also just start typing to filter the list--it works pretty much the same way as typing to search in contacts.

Tapping on the person you want will take you to the details view. Here you can see birth and death information at the top, parents, spouses, and children, and any notes. You can then tap on any of those people to go to their details. In this way you can traverse the tree structure that is in your file.

I'm working on an update that will group spouses and their children separately for individuals that have multiple spouses (this was bevcraw's idea). It would then also make sense to display marriage information if it is present. That will change the details view a bit.

Stay tuned.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Looks nice.
    Will the app support a quick and dry overview?
    Something like this
    Attached Images Attached Images
    pre101 likes this.
  18.    #18  
    Looks nice.
    Will the app support a quick and dry overview?
    Something like this
    I've thought about doing some kind of tree view, but haven't come up with a way to do it cleanly. I like your suggestion. I'll have to put some thought into how to implement it. It won't be in this test, but I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    GenTree is a good one... how about simply "Generations" with a tree in the background?
    I think that there used to be a windows software app named Generations. There have been many genealogy apps over the years. Most of the obvious names have been used already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    what up lloot
    Hey, Shane. Are you researching your family history?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast