Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
  1.    #81  
    Attention users with special characters: your characters are probably not showing up, and are instead replaced with a box. There is a workaround for this situation. Save your .ged file with UTF-8 encoding. If you're on Windows, open Notepad, then select File, Open, and open your .ged file. Verify that your special characters are appearing properly in the text. Then select File, Save As, and hit the down arrow to select a different encoding, choose UTF-8, then save. This modified .ged file should work just fine.

If you have trouble with that or need more instructions, please PM me or send an email to support@jbgapps.com.

However, this is a short term solution because I just FINALLY figured out how to get webOS to read the file properly after much searching, thanks to advice from a helpful Palm employee in the Palm developer forums (Ben Combee, UnwiredBen). So a proper fix that reads the files correctly will be forthcoming.

Just this morning (when I had pretty much given up on reading the files properly in 1.4.5) I uploaded an updated version (0.2.3) to the app catalog. This update does NOT have the fix for the special characters yet! That will have to wait for 0.2.4.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  2.    #82  
    Version 0.2.3 is now live in the app catalog. This version fixes a spacing issue where some users had no space before the last names. This does not yet fix the special characters issue.
  3.    #83  
    Okay, just submitted v0.2.4 to the app catalog. This provides an additional preference that tries a different text encoding when reading the file. If your special characters are not showing up, this setting should fix it for most people. You'll no longer need to go to the extra step of saving your file as UTF-8.

In the Pro version, the proper text decoding should be figured out automatically, though I'll probably still provide an override for odd cases. This is, unfortunately, one area in which the GEDCOM standard is not very good.

I'll update again when 0.2.4 goes live.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  4.    #84  
    Version 0.2.4 is now live in the app catalog.
    Thanks for the great App jbg7474,

Any chance of updating it for the Touchpads larger screen?
  6.    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by pre101 View Post
    Thanks for the great App jbg7474,

Any chance of updating it for the Touchpads larger screen?
    I'm so glad you like it! Yes, in fact I'm working on an enyo version at this very moment. Here's an early screenshot. It's going to look different than this, but it kind of gives you an idea of the general layout concept I'm going for.

Screen shot 2011-09-06 at 9.22.40 PM.png

Boy, I haven't updated this thread in a while. I'll go back and update the first post to indicate current status.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 09/14/2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: added screenshot of enyo version
    pre101 and Crowza like this.
    Just ran across this thread as the proud owner of a new "firesale" touchpad. I have my family genealogy in family tree maker. Haven't looked at it in a while really, have to see what formats it supports.
  8.    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Just ran across this thread as the proud owner of a new "firesale" touchpad. I have my family genealogy in family tree maker. Haven't looked at it in a while really, have to see what formats it supports.
    You should be able to export a .ged file and use it with GenTree. I'm pretty sure there are other FTM users. And if it doesn't work, please let me know either in this thread, via PM, or send email through the Help in GenTree.
    Crowza likes this.
  9.    #89  
    Starting to look not too bad.

Screen shot 2011-09-15 at 11.03.50 PM.png
    Crowza and pre101 like this.
    It is looking great to me. Can't wait to see the finished product.
  11.    #91  
    Still trying to get to a good UI--I think this looks better.

Screen shot 2011-09-17 at 10.37.25 AM.png
    Crowza, pre101 and bevcraw like this.
  12.    #92  
    Now have filtering working, and I think I kind of like the dark headers better. Opinions?

Screen shot 2011-09-17 at 11.55.23 AM.png
    bevcraw, Crowza and pre101 like this.
  13.    #93  
    Now have a counter for the filter, sorting is working, populating family details, navigation via clicking on family members is working, details is now on a sliding pane (so it can fill the screen), and a button to allow the family details to fill the pane. I'm starting to get close.

Screen shot 2011-09-18 at 11.14.36 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-09-18 at 11.22.03 PM.png
    pre101, Crowza and antexity like this.
  14.    #94  
    Tada! GenTree HD is now submitted to the App Catalog. I'll post again when it's live. For now, here are some screenshots. A lot more information is now showing. All the people in the family details have birth date and place, spouses also have marriage info, and the individual details also include burial info. Oh, and you can also expand either the family details or the individual details (or show both).

gentreehd_2011-28-09_180303.png

gentreehd_2011-28-09_180717.png
    Last edited by jbg7474; 09/28/2011 at 09:07 PM.
    Crowza and pre101 like this.
    Question while waiting for Gentree HD to appear.

Does it work with Save/Restore from webos-internals?
  16.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by pre101 View Post
    Question while waiting for Gentree HD to appear.

Does it work with Save/Restore from webos-internals?
    That's a good question. The answer is no, not at the moment. The number of options are very few, it's really all based on the .ged file that you load. So I'm not sure there would be very much to save via Save/Restore, other than the file name and the few preferences.

However, on phones, I'm saving your preferences and the file location to a cookie, and app cookies tend to be saved by the webOS Profile. The TouchPad version uses the preferences database in Enyo, and I'm not sure whether that's backed up or not.

I'll look into what's involved with the Save/Restore scripts. If it's easy, I'll create scripts for GenTree and GenTree HD.

I'm not sure what the holdup is with the app catalog. I kinda expected it to be published by now.
  17.    #97  
    And GenTree HD is now published to the app catalog. http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...apps.gentreehd
    pre101 likes this.
  18.    #98  
    I'm working on a new feature for GenTree HD: a pedigree chart. It uses an HTML5 canvas to dynamically draw a person and all of their ancestors (but limited to a reasonable number for display and processing purposes, with indication of what has been limited). This method is cool because it doesn't depend on a set template: it's customized for each person in your file.

You can then tap on people in the pedigree chart to see their details. So this gives an additional method for navigation through your file. Speaking of navigation, I've also added a "Previous" button, so you can go back to whomever you were looking at previously. There is also a new Memory button and a MR button. This is like Memory and Memory Recall on a calculator. Hit memory to "store" a person you want to be able to go back to at any time. Then hit MR to go back to that person.

I'm getting ready to get a new update out with these features in it, but I'd like a few beta testers to take a look before I deploy it, specifically to look at the Pedigree feature.

If you're interested and have a TouchPad with Preware installed, please send me a PM with your email address.
    pre101 likes this.
  19.    #99  
    [sarcasm] Now, don't all jump at once, you'll flood my inbox. [/sarcasm]
  20.    #100  
    I've submitted GenTree HD v0.3.6 to the app catalog! Here are some screenshots. If you look closely, you might notice another new feature.
    gentreehd_2011-26-10_215213.png

gentreehd_2011-26-10_215234.png
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast