Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    Pricing:

This is a really complicated question.

Your app can "just" read a .ged-file. So your potentional customers are limited to people, who are already using a genealogy programm on his/her computer. In combination with webOS and the app-catalog-country-restriction your customers are reduced even more. With such a small userbase for your app, you should choose a higher price (5.99 or 6.99), to make some profit, but this could also lead to least sells. I would recommend a price between 2.99 and 3.99.
    If you could somehow build an editor into the app you could raise the number of potentional consumers, because genealogy newbies could use your app to start from zero.
    I have paid more money for "bad apps" , so i believe your app is worth more than 99 cent.
  2.    #62  
    Good comments, thanks!
  3.    #63  
    I've decided to offer my app in the beta feed first. That way I can make it available to a wider audience to catch more issues if they exist. I'll post the link here when it is up on the feed.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  4.    #64  
    It's up on the beta feed. Here's the link: https://developer.palm.com/appredire...bgapps.gentree.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I can't thank you enough for finally bringing WebOS users a genealogy application. A couple of questions. I have been working with it. I have two trees and was going back and forth between the trees with no problems. Closed up the application for the night. When I tried to open it this morning, I am stuck on the title menu. It says GenTree v0.1.4 Loading.... and stays there. I deleted the application and re-downloaded it. It loaded my trees just fine. Closed the application, re-opened it and now I am stuck on the title screen again. What am I doing wrong?
  6.    #66  
    Hmmm...I'm sure it's my fault, not yours! If you can send me an email at support@jbgapps.com, we can do some troubleshooting. It would be helpful if you could send me your ged files to that address.
    I had always to delete/uninstall the old before using a new version
    Quote Originally Posted by remmysmom View Post
    I can't thank you enough for finally bringing WebOS users a genealogy application. A couple of questions. I have been working with it. I have two trees and was going back and forth between the trees with no problems. Closed up the application for the night. When I tried to open it this morning, I am stuck on the title menu. It says GenTree v0.1.4 Loading.... and stays there. I deleted the application and re-downloaded it. It loaded my trees just fine. Closed the application, re-opened it and now I am stuck on the title screen again. What am I doing wrong?
    Perhaps the file got corrupted, or locked? Or something is cached/not cleaned up?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
  9.    #69  
    I'm working with remmysmom on the issue, and I've been able to see some issues when switching between the two files (after a few times, it causes the emulator to reboot, which is pretty cool). I will say that part of the issue may be the file sizes involved. I think this issue is unlikely to show up for users with file sizes smaller than about 1MB. But that's just my gut instinct from interaction with testers thus far.

A word about my current strategy: when GenTree loads a file and displays a list, it holds all the data in memory. Nothing is written off to a database. This has its good points and its bad points. On the good side, it's pretty fast to search through data already in memory to display lists and find all members of a particular family. If you can do it, this is the way to go. When I started GenTree, I didn't think I'd be able to get away with it, but actually it has worked pretty well so far, and I really haven't seen any memory issues to speak of, even on the original Pre/Pixi.

However, on the bad side, it means that there is a practical limit to the size of the file you can handle. I may be approaching that limit with the file sizes in use by remmysmom.

Or it could be something else entirely. I haven't had a chance to spend much time with it yet.

Anyone out there using file sizes in the 3MB or greater range?
  10.    #70  
    Alright, well, I haven't gotten the problem fixed yet, but I'm narrowing in on the cause. It appears that something external to my app is timing out after about 10 seconds, causing the processing on the file load to stop. I suspect something in webOS is silently killing the process because it thinks it is hung (even though it isn't). On smaller files, it's not a problem because the load takes less time.

I'm still working on figuring out what exactly is causing the kill to be issued, but in the mean time I'm going to add some code to detect that this situation has occurred and allow the user to get out of it (ie by choosing a different file) without uninstalling and reinstalling.
    I've just downloaded the beta. This is just the app I needed. However, my GEDCOM file is about 3 megs in size. Upon attempting to open, it has seemingly frozen (although I can switch to other apps). It could be the file format. Ancestry.com is known to export GEDCOM files a bit on the funky side. I'll reboot and try it again.

This is on a Sprint FrankenPre+ running UberKernal @ 1 Ghz.
    Ahhh! A reboot worked. Opened the 3+ meg GEDCOM file from Ancestry.com just fine!
  13.    #73  
    My guess is sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't. I'm glad you were able to load it. I'm working on getting past the issue that remmysmom describes above.
  14.    #74  
    I've made a little progress in understanding what's happening to remmysmom. webOS has a hard limit that no javascript can run for more than 10 seconds. I suppose that's a good thing. Since the processing of a file in GenTree happens all at once without any breaks, it can bump into this limit when opening large files. There is a way around this, but it involves restructuring a few things. So there's hope, but I haven't got it fixed yet.

Overclocking will definitely help, since the processing will happen faster.

This should only be an issue on quite large files. The "oliver" file referred to on page 1 of this thread is not usually an issue on a stock original Pre, and it is 1.86 MB. I believe 1MB is a safer limit, since sometimes other things are going on that may slow things down a bit (an email comes in, or a text message, or whatever).
  15.    #75  
    Alrighty, I got it. GenTree can now reliably open large files without getting stuck, even on a stock Pre. I just uploaded a new beta to the feed. It should be available to download in the next day or so.

Note: you'll notice that loading the file is slower. I can make it faster (not quite as fast as before) by adjusting a parameter, but it causes the spinner to become jerky. With the current setting, it takes on the order of 15 seconds to load a 3MB file on a stock Pre. In my opinion, that's okay, but it's on the border of acceptability. It should be faster on an overclocked Pre or on a Pre2, but it won't be quite twice as fast. Appreciate any comments you may have about this.

I've also changed the dividers in the details scene to say "Marriage" instead of "Marriage 1". There was never any chronological sorting of marriages, I was just populating them by occurrence in the file. For at least one user, an earlier marriage was listed as marriage 2, with a later one listed as marriage 1. So I decided to remove the numbering to avoid the implication that there is a chronological sorting going on.

If you have comments about any of these changes, or anything isn't working, please post in here or send an email.

Thanks for testing!!
  16.    #76  
    It seems that some users with the Pre 2 are having difficulty updating. One user with a Pre 2 reports that deleting the app and then downloading made it work. If you're having difficulty, give that a shot. Apparently this is happening to more than just GenTree.
  17.    #77  
    Just pushed a new update to the beta feed. You should see it shortly. It's a relatively minor update, but if you've wanted to filter your list by using a question mark, you can now do that. The splash screen should also now display the image immediately rather than waiting until the very last moment.
  18.    #78  
    Folks, you're in luck! Due to a misunderstanding on my part regarding how app submission in the beta feeds works in association with paid apps, I have decided to offer GenTree as a free app in the app catalog. Will post again when it is approved and goes live.

I'll begin work on a Pro version that will incorporate the ability to edit genealogy data.
  19.    #79  
    And it's now live in the App Catalog! It's a new version (0.2.2) that has a few minor bug fixes. https://developer.palm.com/appredire...bgapps.gentree
  20.    #80  
    Not sure anyone is watching this thread anymore, but there are now over 700 users of GenTree! I think that's pretty awesome for a niche app.

I've been thinking about how to implement editing. There is one crucial piece that can't be done on webOS 1.4.5: exporting a file with your edits. There is at least one way around this, but it involves doing the processing somewhere other than your phone.

However, webOS 2.0 can write to files, and that means that this can be done in webOS 2.0. How annoyed would you all be if I offered GenTree Pro for webOS 2.x users only? Keep in mind this is not going to be until June or July at the earliest, so some of you may be in next generation webOS hardware by then.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast