Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    Do we report issues on this thread, or via email?

I installed the app, and imported a ged file. All I see are hundreds of blank records, saying "Birth"... Clicking on one shows "Born" and "Died" but no data.

Perhaps my ged file is not the right version? When I created it with geni.com, they asked me which version of ged format to use, I picked the latest one, I think 4.5?

I think there are roughly 400 or so individuals in it.
    Just got a chance to download and I was able to open Oliver file.
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post

I installed the app, and imported a ged file. All I see are hundreds of blank records, saying "Birth"... Clicking on one shows "Born" and "Died" but no data.

Perhaps my ged file is not the right version? When I created it with geni.com, they asked me which version of ged format to use, I picked the latest one, I think 4.5?

You can open your file with a notepad or any texteditor, maybe GenTree can read your structure

Mine is build up this way:

0 @SUBM@ SUBM
    1 NAME unknown
    0 @I0@ INDI
    1 NAME Freeman /Norman/
    1 SEX M
    1 FAMS @F0@
    0 @I1@ INDI
    1 NAME Ripper /Jack/
    1 SEX M
    1 FAMC @F0@
    1 FAMS @F40@
    0 @I2@ INDI
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post

I think most people are using gedcom 5.5. That might be the problem. Or there could be some other issue. You can send me the file via email and I'll see what's up.

You can use the forum or email, but I'll be more responsive to email.
  5.    #45  
    But the forum might be better for things like new features, look and feel, etc.

By the way, the oliver file goes back to the 1300s. Wow.
  6.    #46  
    Public Service Announcement: one particular side effect of the way I've chosen to implement the "just type" searching in the list scene is that you can't search for ?. This is because I'm using something called a regular expression to do the search and the ? has special meaning. In a future version I'll handle that automatically by swapping out a ? with its escaped version so the regexp gets it right.

It's sort of possible to do this on your own, but it doesn't work for all situations. If you type \?, you can get some of your ? searches to work. It doesn't seem to work unless you type something before \?, so a search for "Alfred ?" would work if you type "A \?" but a search for "? Stevens" doesn't seem to work if you type "\? S". I haven't dug in to exactly why yet.

At any rate, I can see how you might want to search for a ?, so I'll put this on my list of things to do before an official release.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    one question: should brothers and sisters be displayed? Because i tried it and they are not displayed, but i think they should

partens
    brothers/sisters
    spouse
    children

what i would also like is the ability to close/hide one of the above mentioned categories (like you do in the mail app with different mail accounts)
  8.    #48  
    I did at one point have the details scene set up with collapsible dividers, but I had difficulty getting the heights right. Perhaps I'll try again at some point.

Regarding siblings, I definitely could show them, but I'd like to hear from others whether this is something they would like too. In cases where there are a lot of siblings, it could be a little much. Would you also want half siblings?
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post
    one question: should brothers and sisters be displayed? Because i tried it and they are not displayed, but i think they should

partens
    brothers/sisters
    spouse
    children

what i would also like is the ability to close/hide one of the above mentioned categories (like you do in the mail app with different mail accounts)
    I usually look to the parents' details to get the sibling information.
    well yeah for me the page should display the "core family", which in most cases are mother, father, brother, sister, spouse, children

The average family has 2-3 children, so brothers/siters would not be a problem. If you really have 887siblings, because you are one of Mulai Ismail childrens, it could be a problem.

Best thing would be a configuration, which allows to choose which persons should be displayed. (Dont know how hard that is to develop )
  11.    #51  
    I conceived of the core family as husband/wife and children, rather than siblings and parents. I have the link to the parents so you can get to the previous generation. Also, the way it currently works, everyone on the page is directly related to the individual either by blood or marriage. Siblings are not directly related in the same way.

I think, though, that you are correct that it would make sense to have a person and their siblings, parents, spouse(s), and children all in one view. I think this is probably best handled by a tree view with fewer details. Perhaps I'll change the details view to only textual information about a person, but put a link to a tree view that would allow you to navigate the tree. Unfortunately, the tree view is something I haven't even started yet. I'm having some difficulty conceiving of a way to do it in webOS that would look like webOS and fit within webOS style philosophies.

Regarding options, I think the fewer the better. I very much agree with the webOS philosophy on that. But there are some people who would like to see a "palm-default" look rather than the "palm-dark" look. That's a good candidate for an option. There may be others, but I would like to be able to provide a standard set of functionality that is useful to the most users first.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  12.    #52  
    Check your email, testers! New version with sorting and some other fixes just sent out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    tested it and i like it. Works without flaws for me.

Noticed: When i am in the window of induvidual x and i press on his name in the header, the app switches back to the list.
    Is it this a new feature?

If i want to backswipe to go back to that person the app just changes into cardview.

I am not sure if it is just my phone, but after a restart of the app it seems slower. I will have to test this a few more times to be sure.
  14.    #54  
    Yeah, that's not a new feature, it's been there since the beginning. Perhaps it's too hidden. But my thought was that you need a way to get back to the list without backswiping all the way--after three or four levels deep in the hierarchy it becomes a pain. Do you think I should have a separate button to go back to the list (and not the header)? That would be pretty easy to do. But you're right, after going back all the way to the list, you can't backswipe to get back to the person you were on--you've essentially backswiped all the way at that point.
  15.    #55  
    Oh, and please do let me know if you encounter unexpected slowness.
    ok, the latest version of the app works great with my geni-generated ged file. Very slick. Like it alot.

One suggestion - now that I am using it, I realize that alot of it is sensitive data (mother's maiden name and all that). Could you add a password feature?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
  17.    #57  
    Great! Glad you're liking it. Password feature, eh? That's something I hadn't considered. I could probably work something out, but it won't be very secure. The ged file you load into your phone is all clear text, and I'm not about to encrypt it. Of course, if someone just picked up your phone and started messing with it, the ged file would be a lot harder to figure out than my app. I'll take a look and see what I can do.

More than likely, when you first install the app, it would ask you to set a password. Then you would need to type in the password on every launch. I would probably need to have a preference for this, since some wouldn't want the password. So this will have to wait for the preferences, which is something I haven't gotten around to yet.

By the way, my app stores no data on your phone (well, other than the path to the chosen ged file)--I'm not converting the ged file to anything else. Just purely reading the ged file. And it reads it every time you launch the app.
    Oh, and no slowness, even with a tree with hundreds of relatives. This is on a Pre 2 (actually, a Frankenpre).

Yes, I probably need to put a password on the phone itself.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    I have doctored my phone back to default and now both versions are equally fast.
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post
    I have doctored my phone back to default and now both versions are equally fast.
    Glad to hear it!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast