Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    I have played a little bit with Internalz folder structure as a tree for your app and ended uo with this.

I have also checked a few of your names for the app:

GenealoTree: Family Tree
    Gedcom Explorer: Gedcom Explorer-Main Page
    gedToGo: unused?
    GenTree: Gentree Family History
    Geneious: Geneious - Bioinformatics Software for Sequence alignment, sequence analysis, BLAST, Mr Bayes, ClustalW
    GeneTree: Welcome to GeneTree - Revolutionizing Genealogy
    gedRoots: unused?
    gedTree: GedTree - Family Tree Website Generator
    get-ged: unused?
    Generations: unused?
    Attached Images Attached Images
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post
    I have played a little bit with Internalz folder structure as a tree for your app and ended uo with this.

I have also checked a few of your names for the app:

GenealoTree: Family Tree
    Gedcom Explorer: Gedcom Explorer-Main Page
    gedToGo: unused?
    GenTree: Gentree Family History
    Geneious: Geneious - Bioinformatics Software for Sequence alignment, sequence analysis, BLAST, Mr Bayes, ClustalW
    GeneTree: Welcome to GeneTree - Revolutionizing Genealogy
    gedRoots: unused?
    gedTree: GedTree - Family Tree Website Generator
    get-ged: unused?
    Generations: unused?
    Thanks for the research on names. I'll take it into advisement. I'm disappointed about GenTree, though I think technically since that seems to be just the name of their website and not a software package, I could still use it. But it's not as clean as I'd like. Makes gedToGo start to look attractive, though it doesn't have as nice a ring to it.

Regarding your tree structure, I think the way marriages are displayed would be a little problematic--sometimes a spouse opens up a rich and interesting tree and this way of displaying it would obstruct that. Of course, what I've got now doesn't show it at all.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Ok, but this tree is the genetic tree of John An Hammond. If you would like to see her tree you would have opened the tree

Marry Johnes
    married to John An Hammond
  4.    #24  
    Okay, good point. I'll consider it.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    How about Whosyourdaddy? Or some spelling variant?

One thing I just noticed while I was trying to export my GED from Geni - geni has an api available, so maybe you can start tapping into that?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    How about Whosyourdaddy? Or some spelling variant?

One thing I just noticed while I was trying to export my GED from Geni - geni has an api available, so maybe you can start tapping into that?
    Oooh, good to know. I know Ancestry.com is working on an API, but it's not clear whether it will be made public or not. I'll have to check out Geni. Thanks for the tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    How about Whosyourdaddy?
    ROFLOL!

Last edited by katefields; 03/24/2011 at 03:37 PM.
  8.    #28  
    Yep, WhosYourDaddy? Would be kind of a cool name.

Edit: but I think it's a little too commonly used.

How about My Monkey's Uncle? Or ViewMyTree?
    Last edited by jbg7474; 03/24/2011 at 05:45 PM.
    My Monkey's Uncle is funny. Like it!
  10.    #30  
    Okay, thanks, all! I've got plenty of testers for now. I'll post here when I need more for a bigger test.
    so far so good (i like your icon). what i have noticed so far:

- Individuals are not sorted alphabetical (is it not supposed to do?)
    - the entrys are to big, there is lot space wasted for each individual, i would make it smaller (like the mail app, there are also two collums, but it is only 2/3 the hight

Choose file:
    1.) if i load a .ged file and click again on "choose file", but backswipe this time, the app will tell me "no file selected", but still display the list of last loaded .ged (should it not unload the file again?)
    2) if i close the app with the info "no file selected", with the next start it will load the last .ged-path
    3) if the last .ged-path is not correct anymore (file renamed, deleted) the app will still display (and try to load) the last used path to a .ged (should it not check the path?)

Performance:
    Pixi with stock kernel, excellent! I can scroll very smooth between 250 individuals, loads up fast and displays information correct.
    I will try later a bigger file (1,86mb).

edit: i tried to load oliver_family_tree.ged (http://www.gedcoms.com/downloads/vie...oad/7/146.html), the app freezes, but the phone is still operating. Have waited for 5 minutes, but it cant load it.
    Last edited by DirkGently; 03/26/2011 at 08:14 AM.
  12.    #32  
    Okay, I'll check out that ged and see what's up.

You're right about the space the lists take up on the details. I'll see what I can do to get the formatting better.

Sorting: right now it's just displaying the entries as they're listed in your file. I'll have to see if I can provide some options for different sorts.

Thanks for the comments!
  13.    #33  
    Wow, that file is big. There are some tags in there that I haven't planned for. That shouldn't crash anything, but it might slow things down. But it's also just gigantic. Internalz brought my phone to crawl when trying to open it as a text file. If I weren't using UK, I suspect it would have thrown a TMC error. So it might be too big. But I'll add the tags and maybe we'll get there.
    yeah, a such big file wont be used by the average user, but i wanted to test the limit of phone/GenTree. I will try some others to see how many entry can be supported.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Hey, Shane. Are you researching your family history?
    yeah i was gonna try to do that but im not gettin this app lol i downloaded it but its saying to pick a ged file and frankly i dont have one lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    also i have only got one email so far and am not in the loop i guess as to how this app works ?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    also i have only got one email so far and am not in the loop i guess as to how this app works ?
    You should have gotten an email from me yesterday morning. I'll resend to you.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post
    yeah, a such big file wont be used by the average user, but i wanted to test the limit of phone/GenTree. I will try some others to see how many entry can be supported.
    That file is an awesome test. It's absolutely festooned with tags that no one else is using. I've added "support" for those tags, meaning the ability to ignore them for now, and set logging to the lowest level. It now opens the oliver file just fine. Sending out v0.1.2 via email...
    glad i could help

so the next step would be the

LIFE Gedcom*
    individuals: 2080787
    family records: 225673

size: around 500 mb

I believe this is the biggest .ged ever created (so far)

*The LIFE GEDCOM is the Catalogue of Life in GEDCOM format. The Catalogue of Life is a database produced by the Species2000 project. This is an ongoing project to document all 1 million known species by 2011. The database has about 1,1 million species right now, which worked out to about 2 million records in the GEDCOM database.
    Last edited by DirkGently; 03/26/2011 at 03:23 PM.
    I think I'll pass on trying to download the life GEDCOM. My less than 4000 records file is enough for me right now.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast