Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    In trying to convince my brother webos is the way to go instead of iPad. He emphatically stated no Netflix viewing app no Touchpad. Is anything in the works for Netflix? Maybe Richard Kerris should send his "SWAT team" over there.
    yes
    the touchpad needs netflix and their 20 million members (Netflix : Overview). op, your brother is right - no netflix no touchpad.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I think HP will have it together for launch. But I think you are hitting on a good point. When all of these devices are finally launched, it won't really be about the hardware or specs...it will be about the apps. If Touchpad doesn't have a good core of recognizable apps on day 1, it will be very difficult even for webOS lovers to purchase.
    Just show him the attached picture.
    They DO HAVE SOMETHING IN THE WORKS because HP would could have been sued for claiming that Netflix supports them. They didn't talk about it separately but they did show this while Bradley said something to the lines of "look at all the services that WebOS can do" while incorporating senergy into it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rennat; 03/20/2011 at 03:08 PM.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    It makes sense for Netflix to support HP - unlike apple/google, HP doesn't compete with Netflix.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    There should be a netflix app by the time it comes out.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ------------------------------------------------------
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    Just show him the attached picture.
    They DO HAVE SOMETHING IN THE WORKS because HP would could have been sued for claiming that Netflix supports them. They didn't talk about it separately but they did show this while Bradley said something to the lines of "look at all the services that WebOS can do" while incorporating senergy into it.
    No, that slide was while Todd was talking about all of the devices and web based services that people use. It had nothing to do with HP saying they would or even could connect them with Synergy. That being said, I still think that they would be fools to not get Netflix on the TouchPad by the time it ships, regardless of the costs.
    I think the first question to answer is whether or not the Touchpad's processor handles the DRM that netflix uses.

If there is no hardware limitation, then it's really about market share. Netflix isn't going to develop an app for a small platform. But if HP develops an app that is compatible with Netflix, that could work too.
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    It makes sense for Netflix to support HP - unlike apple/google, HP doesn't compete with Netflix.
    what about this? HP MovieStore powered by RoxioNow Application HP Pavilion dv6-3330el Entertainment Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

Also, Netflix supported slated for launch I do believe.
    go with the ipad2. The price is right, it is available now, getting good reviews, and they were smart enough to actually include a camera on the back of it. This is 2011 and HP decides to release a product when trying to enter the market without components required by most consumers. Perhaps, in a year or so the HP product may be ready. For now, think of it as the launch day Pre- on Sprint. I still have mine right next to me and use it everyday, but couldn't encourage anyone to even get a Pre3, given the lack of 4g, low storage, no-dual cores, and small app catalog. I might get one, but do you really want your brother to think of you everytime his Touchpad sucks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave.m.elliott View Post
    and they were smart enough to actually include a camera on the back of it.
    Oh yeah, because people look really smart holding up a tablet to take photos, especially next to someone using their iPhone to take photos and use AR apps.

13.    #13  
    I might get one, but do you really want your brother to think of you everytime his Touchpad sucks?
    I guess that's a big question will it suck in comparison to the iPad. Considering the differences in the OS's. I was speaking to someone on Friday who has a Pixi Plus, who stated he was switching to DROID because of apps, specifically TV viewing type apps. So if netflix is available and there is a real push to get apps does this take care of the basic problem?

The following article points out some of the HP advantages with the interconnected devices etc. Thought it was interesting.

HP Poised To Capitalize On Apple, Amazon Lessons -- HP -- InformationWeek
  14.    #14  
    but do you really want your brother to think of you everytime his Touchpad sucks?
    I guess that's really the question will the touchpad suck, (if Netflix is available and they are really making a push to get more apps), in comparison to the iPad, considering the differences in OS's. The reason that I never went with iPhone is that their business side never had me convinced. So I still use a Centro, but am considering a veer with a touchpad.

In the following link I thought they made some interesting points about some of the advantages of HP's interconnectedness.

i havent really kept up with webos between the current versions available and the new one that will be here with the new phones and touchpad...

but is there a major difference in developing apps for the new OS that is keeping developers from starting to make the netflix app now for current webos phones and then tweaking them for the new os when it launches? all the old apps will work on the new os right?

i'm thinking they announce in february and no product until possibly june... so they should be making a hard push to the developers... pay them if necessary to develop for webos... to be releasing apps for the current version of webos right now so that their will be a ton of apps available. imo, they should have pushed netflix and at the feb meeting be able to say the app was available to current webos owners now and cause a major excitment with current owners.

paying banks to make bank apps for webos, paying med companies like epocrates to make a webos version, pay netflix to make it ready now, etc. sure... it's not desireable now because there are probably only a few webos owners out there now... but that's why you pay them... or if next gen is really that attractive to them... they should releasing apps now themselves.

if people like netflix say they will but are still going to wait after initial launch to see how hp/webos will really do... then the platform is dead because customers will not want a product with a decent selection of apps and they will be playing the watch and wait game too or just go straight to ipad2... because their is an app for anything they want.
    Sorry you were having trouble with your post.
    Should be fixed now.

Quote Originally Posted by riw View Post
    I guess that's a big question will it suck in comparison to the iPad. Considering the differences in the OS's. I was speaking to someone on Friday who has a Pixi Plus, who stated he was switching to DROID because of apps, specifically TV viewing type apps. So if netflix is available and there is a real push to get apps does this take care of the basic problem?

The following article points out some of the HP advantages with the interconnected devices etc. Thought it was interesting.

Just call me Berd.
    Netflix is a big deal in the states sure, but elsewhere? Not as much, it is still very immature up here in Canada and I'm not sure if its available in Europe yet. There are bigger more important apps that I require. A good office suit is one of my top, cloud services are another big one. Netflix, hulu dont care about at the moment
    go with the ipad2. The price is right, it is available now, getting good reviews, and they were smart enough to actually include a camera on the back of it. This is 2011 and HP decides to release a product when trying to enter the market without components required by most consumers. Perhaps, in a year or so the HP product may be ready. For now, think of it as the launch day Pre- on Sprint. I still have mine right next to me and use it everyday, but couldn't encourage anyone to even get a Pre3, given the lack of 4g, low storage, no-dual cores, and small app catalog. I might get one, but do you really want your brother to think of you everytime his Touchpad sucks?
    I wouldn't hold out for a touchpad, but only because ipad2 is available now and apple products hold their resale value for a while. If the touchpad2 comes out and its good, he can sell his ipad and come on over to webOS.

Dont fart around with these guys who claim the touchpad will be outclassed on arrival. The touchpad hardware is comparable/better than the ipad2 in many regards. And the lack of rear camera doesn't matter! People will never use it. Even apple knows this (which is why they included such a crappy camera)... I mean really, anyone who would own a tablet already has a smartphone that can take better shots than that crap on the ipad2.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I learned a long time ago that you DO NOT want to be "that guy" that convinced your friend to get a particular device. Just stay out of it. Show him why you like your device and make sure he gets what he wants to get, so he can't throw the blame around when he doesn't like it.

There is nothing worse than listening to years of "Thanks for making me get this piece of crap that can't do <insert popular nerd feature of the month>!"

Also, I read somewhere that HP was actively approaching key app developers and offering to do all the dev work for them. Netflix would likely be one of those, if this is true. Given HP's position so late to this party, they really have no choice but to offer to build apps for free for the popular apps - just to keep up with the jonses.
    I can't imagine why Netflix wouldn't get on board, at least eventually. If WebOS is going to notebooks/desktops, how do you not jump on that ship to create a propietary app for it? The only thing I could see is if HP wants to utilize Amazon Prime as their source instead.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast