Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree7Likes
    I would totally pay for a netflix app
    this should be a sticky and have 50k replies by now.....
    Me Too! In Touchpad & Palm PrPrPr $2$ $or$ $HP$ $Pr$!!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    This would be awesome. I'd kill (or atleast maim) for Netflix support on my TouchPad.
    Long live webOS!
    Yeah, this would rock. Doubt it happens though. Look how long it took them to get it on Android and a lot of Android tablets aren't even supported yet...
    Bring Netflix Watch Instantly to WebOSBring Netflix Watch Instantly to Webos! | The Point
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Season View Post
    Bring Netflix Watch Instantly to WebOSBring Netflix Watch Instantly to Webos! | The Point
    Joined!
    *******s need to enable captioning before i even think of joining them....
    Every single reply on that website is spam.
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    Every single reply on that website is spam.
    The spam is annoying but unfortunately I can't delete the spam reply entries (yet). I've contacted the Point folks about it and hopefully I'll be able to get rid of it. But the spam in the individual campaign message boards doesn't interfere in anyway with the campaign functionality itself. So please ignore them.
    A Netflix App with support for Apple AirPlay would be awesome. Does anyone know if AirPlay can be implemented in any video streaming app since AirPlay is supposed to be open standard and everything?
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    They recently said that they lost more customers, because of the price increase, than they had expected.
    They had been working on a WebOS app.
    Wouldn't finishing the app, or at least a beta, help bolster their numbers some.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by black19 View Post
    if you want netflix you have to install android on you tab just got install the dual boot mod from CyanogenMod ! Then the google app store and just install! It works great and the whole process takes less than 10 min and uses an auto installer! I hacked jun right after I put preware on ! I've had my pad 2 days and I'm streaming
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomeink View Post
    if you want netflix you have to install android on you tab just got install the dual boot mod from CyanogenMod ! Then the google app store and just install! It works great and the whole process takes less than 10 min and uses an auto installer! I hacked jun right after I put preware on ! I've had my pad 2 days and I'm streaming
    have you ran CM7 alpha on your touchpad yet? its pretty buggy and isn't worth it just for netfilx
    Quote Originally Posted by aw9d View Post
    have you ran CM7 alpha on your touchpad yet? its pretty buggy and isn't worth it just for netfilx
    Alpha2 is out. Its not bad. Never crashed on me. The only real issue so far is weak wifi. And its not hard to do.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk
    It's so sad we can't get simple things like netflix... I've given up on trying to get apps unfortunately, it's never going to happen.

Seeing webOS from the outside, it's literally a blip on the radar, you can barely see it.
    Sprint Love
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    It doesn't work with the browser.

Correct. Netflix requires Microsoft Silverlight to be installed on the local device, similar to how some websites require Adobe Flash to be installed. Unless Netflix changes their technology to something the TouchPad supports (e.g., Flash Video, HTML5 Video), or Microsoft ports Silverlight to webOS, it's just not possible.

Update: Of course you can always get Netflix if some other device streams it to you, like via Splashtop or PlayOn.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    Correct. Netflix requires Microsoft Silverlight to be installed on the local device, similar to how some websites require Adobe Flash to be installed. Unless Netflix changes their technology to something the TouchPad supports (e.g., Flash Video, HTML5 Video), or Microsoft ports Silverlight to webOS, it's just not possible.

Update: Of course you can always get Netflix if some other device streams it to you, like via Splashtop or PlayOn.
    One thing that probably came up already ( I haven't read the entire thread ) is that Netflix has to have strong Digital Rights Management (DRM) on the systems it permits to use the service. This is a contractual obligation with the suppliers of content - and webOS lacks this - at least that's what I was led to think. It's possible the DRM isn't bad but that the OS market is too small to implement testing and validation on for Netflix to bother with.
    OK, I've been tracking this down since August and we finally have a path to Netflix!

POSITIVES:
    1) Doesn't trash my WEBOS - I can now choose at bootup to go to WEBOS or to ANDROID.
    2) Easier than setting up a dedicated partition for UBUNTU LINUX - which didn't get me to Netflix streaming videos but was still rather cool to learn.
    3) Doesn't take up much room on my Touchpad - way less than LINUX.

NEGATIVES:
    1) Its still ALPHA and has some bugs (clock is goofy, earphones don't shut off speakers, etc, etc). Not ready to run a lot of apps in this, but it works just fine to boot over to Android and run the Netflix application.
    2) now need to understand android touchscreen gestures as well as Webos' (a bit confusing) - the home button is the "go back" or "minimize" in both, so that's helpful.

HOW???
    1) Go here and do this: How to install Android / CyanogenMod on HP TouchPad | Review Horizon
    2) As directed above, load up Android and then the Android Marketplace application
    3) Go to the marketplace and search for NETFLIX - install the free application
    4) Click on your new Netflix App, log in and go run any video in your queue

This is very cool but you must be willing to play with Alpha level android. Took about an hour to read through and get it all loaded. If you are nervous, watch the websites for when a Beta version comes out - but stick with this CyanogenMod version since it has an install/uninstall tool (ACMEInstaller) which gives you the same safety net as Preware's installer for WEBOS homebrew stuff.

IN ANY CASE: if you do something terrible, you can always use WEBOS doctor to get back to factory standard and reload your webos profile - that task is less than an hour and was what I did first to prove that I could recover if I totally trashed my Touchpad. Go forth and good luck.

In summary: My 16GB webos Touchpad has F15C overclocking (1.7mhz) and a 2gb UBUNTU LINUX partition and now has a boot screen that can choose between webos and CyanogenMod 7's Android OS. All three environments have full access to wireless and the internet but LINUX and Android still are not close to the complete device support and useability we have in WEBOS. Where else can you have that much fun on a $99/00 device???
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345