Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 100
Like Tree7Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    Netflix is a big deal in the states sure, but elsewhere? Not as much, it is still very immature up here in Canada and I'm not sure if its available in Europe yet. There are bigger more important apps that I require. A good office suit is one of my top, cloud services are another big one. Netflix, hulu dont care about at the moment
    I'll agree with this post. I tried out Netflix the day it premiered in Canada and sorry to say....was not impressed. Excellent quality of videos but, I felt like I was in a VHS rental store by the choices I was offered. The odd movie here and there that I found that I wanted to watch, but I found myself searching for movies, more often than watching them. It's ok ( a marginally ok) for the price, but I'd rather go to a site such as alluc.org....it's free, although the quality isn't quite as good to watch, it's definitely watchable and the selection difference is horse & buggy to Ferrari difference.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave.m.elliott View Post
    go with the ipad2. The price is right, it is available now, getting good reviews, and they were smart enough to actually include a camera on the back of it. This is 2011 and HP decides to release a product when trying to enter the market without components required by most consumers. Perhaps, in a year or so the HP product may be ready. For now, think of it as the launch day Pre- on Sprint. I still have mine right next to me and use it everyday, but couldn't encourage anyone to even get a Pre3, given the lack of 4g, low storage, no-dual cores, and small app catalog. I might get one, but do you really want your brother to think of you everytime his Touchpad sucks?
    Interesting. Components required by consumers on a product that isn't required by consumers.

    On a positive note.... It's great to see everybody's out of the recession and spending mad money on things they don't need again
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I'll agree with this post. I tried out Netflix the day it premiered in Canada and sorry to say....was not impressed. Excellent quality of videos but, I felt like I was in a VHS rental store by the choices I was offered. The odd movie here and there that I found that I wanted to watch, but I found myself searching for movies, more often than watching them. It's ok ( a marginally ok) for the price, but I'd rather go to a site such as alluc.org....it's free, although the quality isn't quite as good to watch, it's definitely watchable and the selection difference is horse & buggy to Ferrari difference.
    The beautiful thing about Netflix is that it sort of forces you to watch stuff you'd never heard of - which is a good thing.

    I never understand the negative comments about Netflix just because they aren't stock full of all the heavily marketed movies everyone has heard of.

    There are a surprisingly large array of great movies out there (many foreign) that I'd never have seen if it were not for netflix.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    The beautiful thing about Netflix is that it sort of forces you to watch stuff you'd never heard of - which is a good thing.

    I never understand the negative comments about Netflix just because they aren't stock full of all the heavily marketed movies everyone has heard of.

    There are a surprisingly large array of great movies out there (many foreign) that I'd never have seen if it were not for netflix.
    And there's nothing wrong with that. However, when you see the ads on the internet or the tv etc, that's not what they would have you believe.

    My digital cable has better television shows than Netflix, and it's included free and on-demand.

    But to each their own... You can't beat the price, really.
  5. #25  
    Hopefully this doesn't start a trend;

    Data Caps Claim a Victim: Netflix Cuts Streaming Video Quality | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

    Data Caps Claim a Victim: Netflix Cuts Streaming Video QualityBy Ars Technica March 29, 2011 | 7:08 pm | Categories: Media Players

    By Nate Anderson, Ars Technica

    Netflix announced last night that Canadian users will, by default, receive lower-quality—and lower-bandwidth—streaming video. The change was made to protect users, “because many Canadian Internet service providers unfortunately enforce monthly caps on the total amount of data consumed.”

    Fast Internet connections could previously chew through 30-70GB of data while streaming 30 hours of Netflix video in a month. Data caps for the Rogers cable operator and for Bell Canada start at 2GB per month; cable operator Shaw starts at 15GB.

    Faced with the prospect of users thinking twice before streaming anything on Netflix, the company has decided to put Canadians into a default “Good” streaming tier that will transfer only 625Kbps (which works out to 0.3GB per hour), using up 9GB a month if someone watches 30 hours of Netflix. The move is designed to keep users from exceeding their caps by accident.

    The company admits that “there is some lessening of picture quality with these new settings” but insists that “the experience continues to be great.” Customers can manually switch their accounts to two higher levels of service, “Better” (0.7GB per hour) and “Best” (1GB per hour with standard definition content, 2.3GB per hour for HD content).



    Netflix will continue to use adaptive streaming, which reduces the stream bit-rate in cases of congestion or low-speed connections, but this is the first time Netflix is purposely dialing back video quality and size for connections perfectly capable of handling the larger streams.

    The major Canadian ISPs—Shaw, Rogers, and Bell Canada—all offer separate pay-TV services of their own. Netflix has offered its own streaming service in Canada for only eight months, and ISPs like Rogers welcomed Netflix to the country by lowering the data caps on some tiers. (One lower-priced tier dropped from 25GB to 15GB.)
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  6. #26  
    Netflix' policy is to avidly listen to their subscribers. We all need to get together and call customer support to ask when the Touch Pad app will be ready. The more people call and ask, the sooner it will happen!

    Call this number:

    1-866-716-0414

    It wont kill you, most of the time you get to someone within 3 minutes!

    Go to your Netlix account to get a 6 digit number to speedup the phone process.

    If you are not a member and are a Touch Pad owner, give them a buzz and tell them you would consider subscribing if the app were available.
  7. #27  
    I thought there already was TP Netflix app. When they unveiled it way back in February, I'm fairly certain everyone was abuzz over seeing a Neflix app on it. I know that not everyone uses tablets for content like this, but enough do that it's shameful to not have the app yet.
  8. #28  
    Nope. No app yet. Its very disappointing. Especially for the fact how easy it would be for Netflix to port it over. I actually find it lame and unacceptable. I would also suggest HP develop a way to utilize MS Silverlight software but I'm sure it would be a cold day in hell if MS let them do that without massive licensing fees.
  9. hawgs911's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by remmy View Post
    Netflix' policy is to avidly listen to their subscribers.
    If this was the case I dont think they would be raising their prices by $6 a month.
  10. #30  
    Just called and it really was a waste of time. Called twice actually. They couldn't tell me anything apart from they are working on all providing apps for all kinds of different platforms!!! Couldn't even get an answer as to whether or not a WebOS app was even in the mix.
  11. #31  
    People need to stop talking about netflix. That's all that's showing up in the page advertisements anymore!
  12. doctj's Avatar
    Posts
    298 Posts
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by remmy View Post
    Nope. No app yet. Its very disappointing. Especially for the fact how easy it would be for Netflix to port it over. I actually find it lame and unacceptable. I would also suggest HP develop a way to utilize MS Silverlight software but I'm sure it would be a cold day in hell if MS let them do that without massive licensing fees.
    Netflix is overrated, in fact I'll be cancelling my subscription. Doesn't have half the movies you want to watch. Typically part 1 of a movie will be dvd only then part 2 available online.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    sorli likes this.
  13. #33  
    I'm kind of ****ed with Netflix. Not only did they double the price in a year, but they don't support my EVO Shift nor Touchpad. I will probably cancel it in the near future.Wii and Xbox support are nice, but the service doesn't match my lifestyle anymore.
  14. #34  
    With the size of the webOS/Touchpad user base massively expanding this week, is it time to create a serious petition to netflix?

    This would be a (netflix) members only petition, and probably would require you to pledge to cancel your netflix account by X date if they refuse to support webOS/the Touchpad.

    Previously, this wouldn't make sense. 10-100 users, who cares. 1000 users, might get something done.

    Thoughts?
    mala88 and jael like this.
  15. nehendricks's Avatar
    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    #35  
    I would love to have Netflix on my touch pad!!
  16. mosdl's Avatar
    Posts
    781 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh4Sh0 View Post
    With the size of the webOS/Touchpad user base massively expanding this week, is it time to create a serious petition to netflix?

    This would be a (netflix) members only petition, and probably would require you to pledge to cancel your netflix account by X date if they refuse to support webOS/the Touchpad.

    Previously, this wouldn't make sense. 10-100 users, who cares. 1000 users, might get something done.

    Thoughts?
    Thanks for the laugh. Unless they have the work done already, no big company is going to support webOS now.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    nyuepik and Trekker like this.
  17. #37  
    I was thinking the same thing... I really want Netflix. :P
  18. #38  
    Please do not start yet another Netflix app request thread. We would all love it, but it's not gonna happen at this point. Even with an expanded user base, there are still security and encryption issues.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by nehendricks View Post
    I would love to have Netflix on my touch pad!!
    Will the site work with the browser?
  20. #40  
    It doesn't work with the browser.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions