1.    #1  
    Does anybody know what is going to happen to this app when the paywall for the paper is rolled out on 3/28? The NYT website makes no mention of HP or WebOS.
    Last edited by drawman; 03/29/2011 at 09:13 AM.
    It will probably stop working. It's been in beta forever.

I suspect we'll be directed to use their mobile website

A while back the nytimes was hiring for webos development...not sure where that stands but I think if it's still being developed for webos it will be for the tablets
    Almost 2 years in beta is depressing.
    Today I connected my NYT registred profile to my Home delivery account, so now I have full digital access.

The confirmation email said I can get free apps for iPhone, Blackberry and android.

There was no mention of WebOS :-(
    i like this app. wish it wasn't in beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    Almost 2 years in beta is depressing.
    Most of Google's products stay in beta for that long, so I don't see why something being in beta for two years is depressing.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Most of Google's products stay in beta for that long, so I don't see why something being in beta for two years is depressing.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Google's products that are in beta are constantly updated and features are added. The Times app as far as I can tell is the same app that was released in 2009. I'm not sure how many updates there were, but it is clear that there isn't much work being done for it.

I enjoy the app and don't find many problems with it but it seems as if it were made and forgotten.
    I just downloaded the app. It's nicer than the homebrew BBC app.

There's no facility to log in so if it is not completely shut off after March 28th then I would suspect it to be subject to the same limitations of non-subscriber web access...20 articles per month.
    I am receiving an error that I have no internet connection when using the app now, but I do have internet connection.

did NYT institute the paywall and not update the app?

update: it may be a device problem. I can access webpages but the app catalog and software manager give me the no network problem. I am restarting now.

update 2: app is working.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Yep, looks like it's still working..

But for how long?
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
    It works, but i think its just the articles from yesterday. Should have had new articles by now. So i guess we're SOL. sucks.
  12.    #12  
    Well it looks like the application only partially works now. Articles on the front page seem to load. Others (likely behind the paywall) don't seem to be loading on my very much failing launch day Pre- phone. I tried emailing palmpre at the nytimes.com, and the message bounced back. Whoever was developing WebOS products seems to be no longer working at the NYT.

Perhaps HP needs to devote some programming resources/or engage in some form of outreach to the NYT to make some minor changes to the WebOS application so that it can be linked to a subscriber account. Or perhaps I need to figure out another phone where I can read the NYT.
    Quote Originally Posted by drawman View Post
    Perhaps HP needs to devote some programming resources/or engage in some form of outreach to the NYT to make some minor changes to the WebOS application so that it can be linked to a subscriber account. Or perhaps I need to figure out another phone where I can read the NYT.
    I'm right there with you.

Meanwhile, HP/Palm continues showing off the Times app/icon right on the main palm.com homepage. When you click it, it shows the Times app as, ironically, an "essential app." I e-mailed HP/Palm asking about the status of the Times app and whether they'd continue promoting a nonworking app, and all I got was a form letter telling me the company doesn't discuss future products. As it gears up for the buzz surrounding the Veer, TouchPad and Pre3, HP/Palm should probably stop misleading future customers into thinking the platform has a Times app.

I e-mailed the Times asking about the webOS app at the address they set up for readers to submit their questions about the paywall. That was over a week ago, and they never replied.
  14.    #14  
    Interesting. Articles that wouldn't load this morning appear to be loading this afternoon. Maybe the NYT was having technical issues and my theory of certain articles being protected by a paywall was incorrect.
    Quote Originally Posted by drawman View Post
    Interesting. Articles that wouldn't load this morning appear to be loading this afternoon. Maybe the NYT was having technical issues and my theory of certain articles being protected by a paywall was incorrect.
    What's unfortunate is that without being sure either way it reduces reliability. Everyday I'll wonder if it's the most recent articles, or if compatibility is gone.
    maybe nyt just forgot about webos.
    I haven't had any issues or restrictions using the app since the paywall went up.

I'm way past the 20 article limit, but it seems to keep going so far...