webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Is Facebook borked for anyone else?
Is Facebook borked for anyone else?
Like Tree3Likes

Old 03/21/2011, 12:35 AM   #41 (permalink)

No pics and lots of Facebook lag. I'm having the same problem for a couple of days.

Yep, unchecking that box fixed my app. Hope they resolve this issue soon.
Old 03/21/2011, 05:07 PM   #42 (permalink)

So that is the answer. Oy.... I really don't want to turn off the https settings. I'm kind of freaky when it comes to that.
Glenuendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2011, 08:55 PM   #43 (permalink)
kcw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
mind you, this wasn't part of my issue anyways.. and i already checked the box and it wasn't checked to begin with.
same here...it b broke
kcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/2011, 12:46 PM   #44 (permalink)

Same issue with my facebook account, seems only the main feed works which the others are giving the communication error on both WAN and LAN connections. Happening on both 1.4.5 and 2.1.0 devices so has to be issue with facebook changing something and our app needs to be updated. To note the unchecking HTTPS push is referring to photos issues, not referring to MP issue. I never had that option enabled on my facebook account.

**Update** Just tried put my wife's facebook account in and it works fine. Not not using HTTPs push so this is gonna be fun doing a compare/contrast for which changed setting is borking my facebook app.

**Update 2** I believe I have found a fix for the communication error for the Facebook application:

1. Remove your facebook account in the facebook app first.
2. On your computer, log into your facebook account and go into the Privacy settings, top right section.
3. Click on Edit you Settings for Apps and Websites section at the bottom-left.
4. Click on Edit Settings button for the Apps you use section.
5. Remove Facebook for HP webOS entry in there.
6. Back on your device, readd your facebook account back in.

Doing this has SO FAR stopped the bloddy communication error with most feeds I was getting. Removing the facebook for webos entry in the facebook account will not brick you access forever but by removing it and on your phone resigning back in is recreating a new auth script for your acct to palm's facebook app. Hope this helps everyone else too.

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....

Last edited by addiarmadar; 03/29/2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: posting fix
addiarmadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/2011, 09:36 PM   #45 (permalink)

Their update to the stupid Theatre Photo view is causing my issues. I found a script to disable it (and make it work like it used to) on Windows...I suppose we need to get the WebOS team to update their app?
copasetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/2011, 10:38 PM   #46 (permalink)

My wife's Pre was having this issue. Compared it to mine which was not. Apparently having "Status Updates" selected throws the error. Whereas "News Feed" does not. Kinda strange.
philbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/30/2011, 10:20 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
My wife's Pre was having this issue. Compared it to mine which was not. Apparently having "Status Updates" selected throws the error. Whereas "News Feed" does not. Kinda strange.
Same thing was happening to me. Try my posted fix above and should resolve this issue. Appears that it also resolves the photos issue too. Think of it as a repairing process.

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
addiarmadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/30/2011, 04:16 PM   #48 (permalink)

my facebook app stays at the loading screen. After a closer look though I have also noticed that the accounts app has also gone a little weird

EDIT: fixed by a device restart

Last edited by 7 fissurez; 03/30/2011 at 05:06 PM.
7 fissurez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2012, 07:52 PM   #49 (permalink)

I am experiencing a similar problem with the Facebook App... My device is a Palm Pre with webOS 1.4.5 and Facebook v1.5.62... Starting this morning, when opening the Facebook App I received a message stating "Communications error. An error occurred communicating with the server." and it gave me the option to "Retry" (which repeatedly generated the same Communications Error message) or "Dismiss" which would initially open the App, but without functionality & with a news feed that wouldn't refresh.

I then came to this forum and found this thread... The first suggestion that I attempted was to go into my Facebook App account preferences and sign out & back into my account. I was unable to successfully sign out of my account from my Pre - when I tried to sign out of the account I received a message saying "AcctMgr_Authentication_Bad_Request".

I then got on my desktop computer to sign in to my Facebook account and take a better look at my account from a computer. I went to my Account Settings/Apps page and noticed that the Facebook for HP webOS App has mysteriously disappeared and is no longer showing in my list of authorized apps. I also noticed that mobile uploads of 2 photos that I posted to Facebook from my Pre last Friday were no longer showing on my timeline (Actually all of my Mobile Uploads are missing - when I go to my Photos section it shows a Mobile Uploads folder with 9 photos, but when I open the folder there are no pictures there).

So the disappearance of the Facebook for HP webOS authorization has obviously created the issue with the App's integration between my Facebook account and my Pre.

I next went back to my Pre and uninstalled and reinstalled the Facebook App, thinking that the new installation & sign on would create a new authorization script for my account. Unfortunately that was not the case. The App did reinstall successfully, however when I open the App and get the initial Sign In page I am unable to sign in to my account and am back to getting the "AcctMgr_Authentication_Bad_Request" message that I had received earlier.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how this issue can be resolved?
jg_zona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 01:21 AM   #50 (permalink)

Bump - anyone have this issue? Thinking about starting a new thread.

Had communication Error, so removed app from phone. then removed facebook account from phone (accounts section). reinstalled facebook app from the marketplace.

logging in while trying to add facebook to Accounts from phone accounts now says signon information incorrect.

logging in from facebook app says
Error: 401_UNAUTHORIZED - Facebook login failed 1: [400]: When in development mode, only application owners can use this method

Any ideas?
TeamK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 08:55 AM   #51 (permalink)

There is another topic about this issue in the Pre and Pre+ section here: Facebook for HP webOS

I hope Facebook will solve this soon. It would be a shame if we couldn't use Facebook for WebOS anymore.
Jozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 09:28 AM   #52 (permalink)
Banned

I'm not so sure that Facebook is going to patch this; they're always making security changes to close off potential attack vectors, and the chances of seeing an updated Facebook app are about nil since 1) Facebook didn't make the app, and 2) the people from Palm/HP that did are long gone. This app is/was bound to die sooner or later, if we just haven't witnessed it doing so in this thread.

Plus it uses private APIs, so patching it isn't a realistic solution either unless you want a gaggle of Facebook's legal team looking for you.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 10:16 AM   #53 (permalink)
hux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozz View Post
There is another topic about this issue in the Pre and Pre+ section here: Facebook for HP webOS

I hope Facebook will solve this soon. It would be a shame if we couldn't use Facebook for WebOS anymore.
it had bugs and missing features since it was released. get over it and use the mobile website, that is working better, just a bit less comfy.
hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 02:01 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hux View Post
it had bugs and missing features since it was released. get over it and use the mobile website, that is working better, just a bit less comfy.
what the same mobile website that does not allow web os devices to upload a photo? when clicking on file nothing happens,

Yeah great input buddy, really helpful post to the users who actually use facebook for anything other than reading status updates
Ascottuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Jozz, Vistaus and jg_zona like this.
Old 11/27/2012, 02:08 PM   #55 (permalink)

yeah same problem here with my Fb app on my Pre 3, just yesterday started getting the same error. And while it says photo upload is successful, it doesn't actually upload anything. Decided to run my TouchPad's Fb app and I get no error, however uploaded a photo and the same scenario, upload successful but it really didn't work.
Rookie4sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 02:38 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascottuk View Post
what the same mobile website that does not allow web os devices to upload a photo? when clicking on file nothing happens,

Yeah great input buddy, really helpful post to the users who actually use facebook for anything other than reading status updates
That is actually a limitation (which totally sucks) of the browser, not the site. Unfortunately, it means without a working app, we can no longer upload images to Facebook from our phones/tablets. (Though if I remember right, there is a way to use email to upload pics to Facebook..)
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 03:45 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
That is actually a limitation (which totally sucks) of the browser, not the site. Unfortunately, it means without a working app, we can no longer upload images to Facebook from our phones/tablets. (Though if I remember right, there is a way to use email to upload pics to Facebook..)
It has also been pointed out in the other thread that loss of all past webOS submitted data is an issue.

The problem: Someone at Palm/HP deleted the app listing "Facebook for HP webOS" on Facebook.

Result #1: webOS app has problems communicating with Facebook.
Result #2: All content posted through webOS app is no longer visible due to privacy settings. Facebook privacy settings controls what each app can do on your profile. Since "Facebook for HP webOS" no longer exists, it doesn't have permission to do anything, therefore all photos and statuses posted through the webOS disappears.

*this seems to be the most likely cause
Charence is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Jozz
Old 11/27/2012, 04:00 PM   #58 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Or Facebook removed it and not HP/PALM. Facebook did do it before when they removed all pictures uploaded via Kipi (which is the framework KDE on Linux uses to upload pictures). A bunch of KDE people threw rocks at Facebook and eventually Facebook restored all the pictures (although not in the right folder but hey).

So don't blame HP/PALM in the first place; it could've been Facebook. If they'd do it before with Kipi I don't see why they wouldn't do such a thing again, this time with webOS...
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 04:05 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Or Facebook removed it and not HP/PALM. Facebook did do it before when they removed all pictures uploaded via Kipi (which is the framework KDE on Linux uses to upload pictures). A bunch of KDE people threw rocks at Facebook and eventually Facebook restored all the pictures (although not in the right folder but hey).

So don't blame HP/PALM in the first place; it could've been Facebook. If they'd do it before with Kipi I don't see why they wouldn't do such a thing again, this time with webOS...
Yes, of course that's also possible.
Charence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 04:24 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charence View Post
It has also been pointed out in the other thread that loss of all past webOS submitted data is an issue.

The problem: Someone at Palm/HP deleted the app listing "Facebook for HP webOS" on Facebook.

Result #1: webOS app has problems communicating with Facebook.
Result #2: All content posted through webOS app is no longer visible due to privacy settings. Facebook privacy settings controls what each app can do on your profile. Since "Facebook for HP webOS" no longer exists, it doesn't have permission to do anything, therefore all photos and statuses posted through the webOS disappears.

*this seems to be the most likely cause
In that case, it makes me sad that photos taken from my old Palm Treo Pro are still available on Facebook because they are identified as Windows Phone and my Pre2/Pixi Plus photos disappeared
guilledil is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0