Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    I have just found this thread in the XDA developers forum:
    WhatsApp for other platforms (API).

The developer is looking for help regarding the UI, maybe someone here is interested in building a webOS client.

The API is written in C# right now so it would take some work to port it to webOS.
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Signed. 2081
    Signed
    Signed...
    well, I suppose in the not too distant future, we'll be able to build what they need to make their app work...
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    You think it's a question of technical implications why there is no app? I think it's just their commercial evaluation. Too much effort for a niche OS.

Note that what's app is not open source nor have they open APIs. So you can't build a client yourself.
    Last edited by spud101; 12/14/2011 at 11:13 AM.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Well, part of it certainly is -- Part of the point of WhatsApp is that it automatically scans your contact information to locate everyone, which is not possible in webOS at the moment. It probably -shouldn't- be possible in any system, but it's too late to do much of anything about -that- now, and we are going to have to devise some sort of a way to allow things like that and still somehow be secure.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Signed

Can't it be potentially be done now that webOS is being open sourced?

Btw, the guys at the XDA forum who are working on an API seems to be making some progress
    Signed!

Hello from Russia
    Signed!
    Quote Originally Posted by akiraz08 View Post
    Signed. 2081

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Me too, please!

Signed.
    signed 2378 !
    signed
    Guy we need to convince those of WhatsApp to issue their's webOS app. Necessarily...

Write to support@whatsapp.com a kind of email as this my: "Today more than 4.2 million people who use webOS. And many of these (if not all) suffer from a lack of WhatsApp.
    I understand that the uncertainty about the future of webOS can lead to think that there are the right numbers to support this fine operating system, but if you look carefully you'll notice that the numbers are and how! Especially now that webOS was made ​​Open Source, You can do many things! Your slice of the market is already pretty extensive, don't think it's time to extend your great application to webOS users?......"

Come on!!! We can do it!
    webOS Italia Community Manager

User of webOS 2.2.4 on Pre-/ Pre3 & webOS 3.0.5 on HP TouchPad
    Rnp likes this.
    Putzgrila!

I sent a mail asking for webOS, and I recieved this message in same time:

Hi there,

*** This is an automated response, please reply to this email if the text below does not answer your question. Your reply will go to a human reader. ***

Sorry, your device Webos is currently not supported and we have no plans to support it at this time. We currently support iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, Symbian S60, Windows Phone 7 Mango and Nokia s40 devices.

I'm sorry that we have no further information to give out at this time. Thank you for feedback on this matter.
    Thank you for contacting WhatsApp.

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Me too, but I replyed it the same email again...
    webOS Italia Community Manager

User of webOS 2.2.4 on Pre-/ Pre3 & webOS 3.0.5 on HP TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Well, part of it certainly is -- Part of the point of WhatsApp is that it automatically scans your contact information to locate everyone, which is not possible in webOS at the moment. It probably -shouldn't- be possible in any system, but it's too late to do much of anything about -that- now, and we are going to have to devise some sort of a way to allow things like that and still somehow be secure.
    If that's not possible, then what's the whole point of Synergy?
    Well, NEVER replied me until today!

For other side, look that the SugarSync don't release a webOS version, but his team replied my e-mails.

I have others IM and Social to use; so, I don't gonna use same if release to webOS or to other devices.

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    If that's not possible, then what's the whole point of Synergy?
    Synergy is something that you DO. Once you link the two accounts, Synergy takes over and presents them to you as one (with the proper refinements to work separately where needed/makes sense).

From what I understand, whatsapp scans your phone list to add users (someone correct me if I am wrong). That is a no-no from a security point of view (think spamer worm). I WebOS there should be a way to supply a whatsapp app with the numbers it wants without compromising the security of WebOS. The way I see it, it should be a voluntary action by the user, not an automatic action by the App.
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast