Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
    Well, I just went to go look at one of the official apps, and I can't seem to locate one on any platform - iPod Touch, iPad 2, my CM7 or CM9 TouchPad - no results found. 'sup with that?

.. edit: Whatsapp is only available for phone devices, of which I only have Pres. So, that might be even more difficult considering I can't actually do anything with an official app to see if anything works ..
    Last edited by eblade; 06/11/2012 at 08:06 PM.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    @jdevora: So the code was open sourced for nothing, you basically say?

@eblade: You can install Whatsapp on you CM, but you need someone with an Android-phone for that. Install MyBackup on his phone, backup the WhatsApp settings, copy the backup file from MyBackup and place it on your CM. Install MyBackup there, install the WhatsApp APK and then transfer the settings via MyBackup. After that, WhatsApp works perfectly.
    Here is the source code for Wazapp, the Whats App client for Meego.

https://github.com/tgalal/wazapp

Since Meego is Linux, I am hoping this will help
    I am not sure we were so confident that when it can be ported to meego,it can be ported to webos as well.
    I know its dying but still its much better than others in market.
    I hope someone helps to develop it, because whatsapp is not interested to develop on webos platform in near future.
    I need to locate someone who has a whatsapp account and another messenger that I can talk to them on?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I need to locate someone who has a whatsapp account and another messenger that I can talk to them on?
    I could reactivate my old Nokia E51, that has official WhatsApp, I can set it up.

Let me know when you want to try...
    I can offer the Peter Bjorn's Java version in this PC.
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    F*** today i forgot my Samsung *ugly* android thing...
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    I can offer the Peter Bjorn's Java version in this PC.
    a java version that runs on PC? Link me? It is super difficult to develop a messenger if you have to ask someone to send you a message, or ask if they've received a message every few minutes.

I'm also working on getting it working on my CM7 install, so I can see how the official works ..
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil.insulted View Post
    I am not sure we were so confident that when it can be ported to meego,it can be ported to webos as well.
    I know its dying but still its much better than others in market.
    I hope someone helps to develop it, because whatsapp is not interested to develop on webos platform in near future.
    Im pretty confident it can.

Meego runs on the same linux core as webOS. Under the hood they are very similar.

They are so similar you can run webOS games on Meego. Bet you didnt know that!

WebOS Games Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Im pretty confident it can.

Meego runs on the same linux core as webOS. Under the hood they are very similar.

They are so similar you can run webOS games on Meego. Bet you didnt know that!

WebOS Games Manager

I will be shocked to know if I can install a webOS ipk file directly on Meego.
    If I have to extract the file, recode it and repackage the same, it will make sense, but without that I dint know that meego could run webOS Games.
    a java version that runs on PC? Link me?
    Well, I thought you needed people with WhatsApp clients, to help you in testing. That's why I offered myself, being my client that hacked Java version (which works, basically).
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Quote Originally Posted by devil.insulted View Post
    I will be shocked to know if I can install a webOS ipk file directly on Meego.
    If I have to extract the file, recode it and repackage the same, it will make sense, but without that I dint know that meego could run webOS Games.
    did you even look at the link??

Features

* Single click install/uninstall
    * Applies all needed hacks
    Originally Posted by filmor:

Regarding WhatsApp: I actually looked into this (in particular adding this to libpurple). I really dislike people breaking proper protocols like XMPP just for the sake of it, and I really dislike its non-existing security, but my girlfriend uses it so I sort-of have a reason to implement it. Though it will take a lot of time.

WhatsAPI is useless in this regard as it's not really reverse-engineered but instead they pretty much "recorded" connections and feed the corresponding phrases through the sockets. Wazapp is a lot better written and is a good starting point (I have some notes if someone wants to pursue this).

I'm currently quite occupied with writing up my maths thesis, so I'm focusing on the tasks on the way to 1.0, like the roaming problem and the kinda brokenness of the Mojo UI (you might have noticed that the input of text fields is not actually used ).

I'll try to keep you updated.
    Maybe we can start a Kickstarter for this and then take the money and the project done by an online freelancer like Vworker?

Kickstarter

vWorker.com: How work gets done. Guaranteed.
    https://www.elance.com/
    Guru.com

Would people be on board with this if I lead this development?

First ill get some quotes, and then report back here with prices
    Maybe we can start a Kickstarter for this and then take the money and the project done by an online freelancer like Vworker?

Kickstarter

Guru.com

Happy to join in for USD 50

Kickstarter

Guru.com

Like I said 2 times already: if Pre 3 is one of the initial targets for this, then I'll bump in $40 straight cash.
    alright well the next time I have some spare time I will first post the work request on those sites, get a quote and come back here.

Then we can look at how much it will cost and if its possible to start a Kickstarter for it.

My only worry is that if there is a refund option for Kickstarter.

I would not want to take peoples money and then have it not work out.

Maybe I will fund it myself and then ask for donations after I know it works, and only release it once ive gotten the money back in donations.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Another question is: Does the company behind "WhatsApp" tolerate this project?

How do they make their money, since the generated traffic does also cost them money? So if they find out about a port: Will they maybe change their protocol and break a future webOS-app? OK, that no one knows. The # of webOS-users compared to iOS/android users is too low to make a difference I guess.

Another even bigger concern, besides that all messages are being sent "plan text" afaikafaikafaik, $the$ $original$ android or ios app sends your whole list of contacts to WhatsApp. I don't like this behaviour and could the webos "port" work without transfering all the personal data? This data could be used by WhatsApp to make money (sell the address information i.e.)

WhatsApp is a great service, but NOT secure and also no one knows 1. How they make money and 2. what happens to the personal data of all my contacts? Since I have many friends with iOS and Android devices WhatsApp probably has my personal data already anyway That it is not secure is tolerable (since I wouldn't use it for sensitive information) , but I wouldn't like to send them all the data of my friends!

MgmFT
    Last edited by mgmft; 06/19/2012 at 07:56 AM.
    They make their money buy people who buy the iOS and BB app and pay yearly for the Android service.
    And why shouldn't they tolerate this? I never heard them *****ing about Wazzap, the Maemo client and the Java client.