Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wMarck90 View Post
    The source is released
    Yes, and I've taken a quick look (I'm not a webOS developer, just the curious type) and they look clean and understandable. As Tarek promised, the code has the user interface clearly separated from the connectivity, which is great: Meego user interface is done in Qt, which is a huge thing that webOS has not (and I prefer that way).
    Also, the user interface is writen in Python, and communications (the one we could reuse) is in C++, but a translation to Pytjhon is in the works (?!), as the documentation says.
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    PLEASE. Make this happen. I NEED WhatsApp for webOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Who will be working on getting this onto webOS and/or Synergy?
    I think it was Filmor, the guy behind the new Synergy Messaging Plugins, who said in other thread that the source code for Wazapp is not easily adapted to webOS. Not impossible, of course, but not obvious either.

Our few genius developers have a lot of work... And them some real life!
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    I think it was Filmor, the guy behind the new Synergy Messaging Plugins, who said in other thread that the source code for Wazapp is not easily adapted to webOS. Not impossible, of course, but not obvious either.

Our few genius developers have a lot of work... And them some real life!
    Yeah... :S I hate having real-life work...

Just looked at the code (only a couple of files), seems pretty clean. Not sure what effort it will take. I'll look later tonight (hopefully).
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Any Progress Or Any Updates?
    Vistaus likes this.
    Hmm maybe someone should start that as a kickstarter Project So we could pay someone for doing that
    https://github.com/venomous0x/WhatsAPI, how about taking the kickstart from here?
    I don't understand it! For so many years we're waiting for WhatsApp for webOS, now we have the possibility and nothing is happened!? I know, it's not easy to make it useable, but our developers (f.e. webOS internals) had reached so much... It can't be more difficult as the other projects that's happened?! Why we need a kickstarter project for it?! ..I don't understand it, if I would be a developer, perhaps I understand it ;-)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Holliefant View Post
    Hmm maybe someone should start that as a kickstarter Project So we could pay someone for doing that
    I will kickstart $40 if someone's seriously gonna do it and he/she targets at least the Pre 3.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by malte123 View Post
    I don't understand it! For so many years we're waiting for WhatsApp for webOS, now we have the possibility and nothing is happened!? I know, it's not easy to make it useable, but our developers (f.e. webOS internals) had reached so much... It can't be more difficult as the other projects that's happened?! Why we need a kickstarter project for it?! ..I don't understand it, if I would be a developer, perhaps I understand it ;-)

The problem with free projects is that you need to have an developer that is interested to do the thing you like to have.
    Most of the developer that work on the projects that they are interested in. Webos internals is a place for all developers that work for webos where the can host there code and work together with others that are interested in the same problems.

The Whats App development has the same problem as the sip phone at the moment. The code/api that needs to be done is available, but it looks like there is no developer that is interested in implementing it has the free time to do it.

That is where the kickstarter idea came in. Perhaps a developer that is interested and do not have the free time can shift some projects if the interested users pay him for the development.
    You could do the same if you give some money to webos internals and tell them to use it only for whats app support for webos. Perhaps a developer of that community then has the possibility to free up some time to do it.

HaPe
    I remember morphzone's bounty system, also seen in some form or another in many places: Interested forum pals put some money into carefully explained projects (including expected functionality and release date), and them some developer applied for it. If the expected functionality was met in time, money got into the hands of developers.

It's plain economy: Put your money where your mouth is, you'll surely see somebody putting things to work. But remember, it's not that webOS has many good programmers with spare time. But when you see a couple thousand dollars just waiting for your skills...

So that "kickstarter" thing is the same, only more flashy?

I wouldn't have a problem with implementing something to do it, however, I don't currently understand any of the code that is in that repository, and they don't document it in the slightest. It looks like it may rely on external libraries that aren't even documented, but I'm not sure.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I wouldn't have a problem with implementing something to do it, however, I don't currently understand any of the code that is in that repository, and they don't document it in the slightest. It looks like it may rely on external libraries that aren't even documented, but I'm not sure.
    Yes, I remember you saying this some days ago. Isn't that very strange for a supposedly open source project such as Wazapp? Undocumented code, alright (I document almost nothing in my code also) but... Relying on external things that are not present? Either the programmer wants that nobody takes advantage of his job, or expects the next developer to be clever enough to sort that out (a kind of level-check, not extremely unusual, but very rude).

Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    The problem with free projects is that you need to have an developer that is interested to do the thing you like to have.
    Most of the developer that work on the projects that they are interested in. Webos internals is a place for all developers that work for webos where the can host there code and work together with others that are interested in the same problems.

The Whats App development has the same problem as the sip phone at the moment. The code/api that needs to be done is available, but it looks like there is no developer that is interested in implementing it has the free time to do it.

That is where the kickstarter idea came in. Perhaps a developer that is interested and do not have the free time can shift some projects if the interested users pay him for the development.
    You could do the same if you give some money to webos internals and tell them to use it only for whats app support for webos. Perhaps a developer of that community then has the possibility to free up some time to do it.

HaPe
    Indeed. That's why I said above your post that I'll kick in $40 if some developer steps up and is gonna make at least a Pre 3-version (idc if it's pdk or native, if it works then it works). $40 should be at least a nice fund to start with. And in the meantime others will surely donate their money too (maybe even more than $40).
    I will donate as follow
    $10 if it works on webos 2.1.x or 2.2.x
    $10 if it works in background as other messaging apps
    Vistaus likes this.
    I will donate $50
    Okay! Can someone in the USA start those kickstart-project?! ..what is needed?

We need to get the developers Filmor and NuttyBunny involved, they are our best bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    We need to get the developers Filmor and NuttyBunny involved, they are our best bet.
    Isn't NuttyBunny off-track? Thought I read he stopped developing that notewriting app 'cause he wanted to quit webOS dev?
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Yes, I remember you saying this some days ago. Isn't that very strange for a supposedly open source project such as Wazapp? Undocumented code, alright (I document almost nothing in my code also) but... Relying on external things that are not present? Either the programmer wants that nobody takes advantage of his job, or expects the next developer to be clever enough to sort that out (a kind of level-check, not extremely unusual, but very rude).
    IIRC Wazapp is just a wrapper around a decompiled version of the official Java ME client, most of the code is a black box
    Cheers