Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Eoliveira2 View Post
    Why is it taking too long?
    Well, programming computers is not that trivial! We should be specially grateful to the few webOS programmers we have, as they have to find time for this non-profiting hard work we need, taking ot out of other things such as real work, real life...

So thankyou CvvB for your efforts, and hope many donations come in if you succeed!
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Rnp and Vistaus like this.
    I keep on investigating efforts for this bloody app to come to webOS. If you fancy some monday torture, have a look a this Wordpress article by Bas Heetebrij which contains a detailed proposal about an hypothetical webOS version... full with mockup screenshots!

It seems projects related to this app just vanish in the air goven some time. For example, that guy on XDA developers that announced that had an almost complete working client on Windows (with a screenshot too), and was willing to port it to any open system, such as a plain web page. It also disappeared in three months, after showing signs that the projects was indeed on.

Is there a WhatsApp curse? I'm getting very tired of seeing this going nowhere in several places. Can I ask my friends to install yet another IM app, that works both in webOS and their ordinary Android phones?
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Unfortunately there are not many solutions right now. Only Skype maybe?
    I'm using TextOne with my iOS and Android friends, but they are not supporting webOS anymore and if I remove it I won't able to install it again.
    WhatsApp would be very helpful but I don't have high hopes for it as I don't have any for new Synergy Messaging plugins (I miss my good ol' MSN).
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    Unfortunately there are not many solutions right now.
    I'd say a big "me too" to everything you said. I've found the TextOne package somewhere in the internets, but don't think I will use it: Obtained non-legally, and already unsupported. Plus, I'd had to bother my friends to install an app just for me with my weirdo phone, they wouldn't understand it.

As for the lost Synergy plugins, it's a shame, but in the end we depend on developers, and now matter how politely you ask, they aren't obligued to work for no profit.

Actually, it's HP who should have sponsored these popular apps for webOS. It wouldn't even have been expensive, and it's the single thing driving sales. Makes me mad...

Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Well I don't know how "not legal" it is. TextOne was free, but the problem is I don't think it works anymore if you install it now. My friends were more sympathetic and I managed to convince them and we still use it everyday (although it is buggy).
    I haven't doctored my phone because it is not anymore available in the Catalog so it wouldn't restore back.
    As you said it's HP's fault mostly. I can't expect every dev around here to lose precious time over something that should come "out-of-the-box".
    There is WhatsApp, Viber (or something like that) and a couple of other apps for the other platforms and nothing around here which is a shame.

PS Is there a way to use Skype like a "text" service, without having to log in and be online through the Messaging App? Because it drains a lot of battery like that.
    As far as alternatives go, there's always Google Voice ... which as a bonus actually works via SMS, as well, can forward your messages to email or to an actual cell phone, and even provides a voicemail box for you to go with it.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    Well I don't know how "not legal" it is. TextOne was free, but the problem is I don't think it works anymore if you install it now. My friends were more sympathetic and I managed to convince them and we still use it everyday (although it is buggy).
    I haven't doctored my phone because it is not anymore available in the Catalog so it wouldn't restore back.
    As you said it's HP's fault mostly. I can't expect every dev around here to lose precious time over something that should come "out-of-the-box".
    There is WhatsApp, Viber (or something like that) and a couple of other apps for the other platforms and nothing around here which is a shame.

PS Is there a way to use Skype like a "text" service, without having to log in and be online through the Messaging App? Because it drains a lot of battery like that.
    check this ..may b this is helpful..

GroupMe: Apps
    pixi plus (webOS 2.1)>pre2>HP Veer>touchpad
    I've set up my MSN via Google Talk via a tutorial elsewhere on this forum (the tutorial is quite recent) and now MSN works perfectly that way via Messaging on both Pre 3 and TP!

But I want WhatsApp too.
    link pls
    I sent a private message to CvvB some days ago, still unanswered although he's had activity recently in this forum. I tried to contact him because he showed interest in both the two hottest topics about messaging in webOS: Updating the Synergy Messaging plugins (for MSN, etc), and WhatsApp.

About the later, there's progress in the Meego world: At least one guy called Tgalal talked about progress. From what I've learnt from that long thread in "talk.maemo.org", the project might have big dependencies such as "Telepathy", which happens to be a full messaging framework that we don't have. Of course, you can't ask those guys to make their version thinking in the rest of the world beforehand.

I bet that, when WhatsApp for webOS comes, it will be already outfashioned and abandoned in favour of something else.

It's like Whatsapp for N9 and N900 is coming

AllBoutN9 - Everything for your Nokia N9: There we go! WhatsApp soon on N9?
    maemo.org - Talk - View Single Post - [WIP] Porting Whatsapp to Meego/Maemo (N9, N900)
    [WIP] Porting Whatsapp to Meego/Maemo (N9, N900) - maemo.org - Talk

We can try to ask the dev to porting it to webOS and help the dev with donation, what do you think??
    If this is really coming and next week is here, it's really awesome!!
    Quote Originally Posted by wMarck90 View Post
    It's like Whatsapp for N9 and N900 is coming

Click to view quoted image

AllBoutN9 - Everything for your Nokia N9: There we go! WhatsApp soon on N9?
    maemo.org - Talk - View Single Post - [WIP] Porting Whatsapp to Meego/Maemo (N9, N900)
    [WIP] Porting Whatsapp to Meego/Maemo (N9, N900) - maemo.org - Talk

We can try to ask the dev to porting it to webOS and help the dev with donation, what do you think??
    If this is really coming and next week is here, it's really awesome!!

I have been following these forums for long time and had mailed CvvB for help.
    I havent heard back from CvvB also the people on the forum dont seem to have make much progress either.
    There have been an upgrade in Whatsapp in last month and since then there are a few changes which these guys are not able to get along.
    Lets see what comes up next...
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    I sent a private message to CvvB some days ago, still unanswered although he's had activity recently in this forum. I tried to contact him because he showed interest in both the two hottest topics about messaging in webOS: Updating the Synergy Messaging plugins (for MSN, etc), and WhatsApp.

About the later, there's progress in the Meego world: At least one guy called Tgalal talked about progress. From what I've learnt from that long thread in "talk.maemo.org", the project might have big dependencies such as "Telepathy", which happens to be a full messaging framework that we don't have. Of course, you can't ask those guys to make their version thinking in the rest of the world beforehand.

I bet that, when WhatsApp for webOS comes, it will be already outfashioned and abandoned in favour of something else.
    Hi,

Whatsapp for Meego doesn't need telepathy or any big dependencies.
    antonio2k, jcmarcos and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tgalal View Post
    Hi,

Really good too see you are join here
    Welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgalal View Post
    Oh, then I got it wrong from what I red over there at Meego's world... Perhaps there's more than one porting effort, and I got them mixed up.

I bet you see how much interest there is in this development: You signed up here in this little webOS land, just posted once (for which I'm very grateful) and immediately got thanked three times and liked twice. That's a record, in my book!

Could you name any webOS developer(s) that might have contected you for assistance? We don't have yet a proper "work in progress" thread here, it seems as if a couple of them started somehow, and we are left in the dark.

As you know, I keep an eye on the achievements from the Meego/Maemo people in this front. As of now, I'm concentrating in the efforts of "tgalal", which seems to be the only one that hasen't popped up about the subject, only to dissapear in a matter of days. He even bothered to register in this forum and posted once recently.

So, that brave Meego developer posted a juicy update just five days ago. No, there's no beta version yet. People at "talk.maemo.org" are jumping up'n'down nervously at this:

Quote Originally Posted by tgalal
    I understand many people are eagerly waiting for using whatsapp on their N9/N900 (including me), and I'm doing my best to deliver that project. But as many people realize here I'm only doing this in my free time; which unfortunately is not full time at the moment.

So, this is my aimed list of features for the first public release:

- Message delivery indicators
    - Chat logging
    - Editing Status
    - Only 1 to 1 Conversations
    - Contacts sync
    - Integration with Accounts manager
    - Integration with Meego's notifications
    - Running the app in background

As for whether the project is going to be opensource or not. It is going to be opensource when the first release goes out, except for registration code.
    That bit about registration code not being open source puzzles me a bit. Anyway, I'll keep you posted, if you don't mind. I guess the idea would be, once tgalal's work is public, is to ripa part its core parts, and make a Synergy plugin for webOS. In fact, that's easier than attempting a port of his app, as it would have tons of user interface dependencies.

But I guess we would need an ace webOS coder interested first. I'd say this can be quite profitable...

Rnp likes this.
    No news at all since. Actually, the aforementioned update is the last post from the author in the whole "talk.maemo.org" forum, and it's been ten days ago.

Meanwhile, the thread has begun to degenerate, with the usual useless comments about "I'm tired of waiting" and "I've made an icon" (alright, dude, want a medal?).

There's even a link to a "news article" elsewhere, titled "WhatsApp for Nocia N9 download", which just lists the links for existing WhatsApp versions donwloads, plus a last one for Nokia N9, which is not a link. Obviously, it's just a honeypot page. Shameful juornalism.

To add more frustration, I still have no answer to my meesage to CvvB, who I believed was interested.
    Last edited by jcmarcos; 03/29/2012 at 02:27 AM.
    Haha!
    Looks like WhatsApp is Automating us out!
    This is the answer to a question/request I sent to their support e-mail

----------------------------------------------------
    Hi there,

*** This is an automated response, please reply to this email if the text below does not answer your question. Your reply will go to a human reader. ***

Sorry, your device WebOS is currently not supported and we have no plans to support it at this time. We currently support iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, Symbian S60, Windows Phone 7 Mango and Nokia s40 devices. WhatsApp is not supported for computer or tablet use. Please read this Help Center article for more information:

https://whatsapp.zendesk.com/entries/20951556

I'm sorry that we have no further information to give out at this time. Thank you for feedback on this matter.
    Thank you for contacting WhatsApp.
    Quote Originally Posted by pepebuho View Post
    Looks like WhatsApp is Automating us out!
    What worries me is that perhaps they are hunting daily for initiatives like this, contact the developers, and send them a dead cat in a box to discourage them. I'm not jocking every single project I've seen for porting WhatsApp vanishes in the air, as soon as it's known about.

WAIT! There's an update! Tarek Galal is alive!

Quote Originally Posted by tgalal
    Hey guys, here is quick progress update:

Message delivery indicators - Almost
    Chat logging - Done
    Editing Status - Not yet
    Only 1 to 1 Conversations - Done
    Contacts sync - Done
    Integration with Accounts manager - Done
    Integration with Meego's notifications - Almost
    Running the app in background - Not yet

And adding to the done list too:
    Registration which is done too via native Accounts manager. It also automatically parses the received Whatsapp code so you wouldn't enter it manually.
    Contact is typing indicator
    Contact presence

I would greatly appreciate any advises concerning running the app in background. I'm looking for a behavior that would be pretty much similar to how original Whatsapp works (almost un-exitable). PS: I'm using python + PySide.
    Let's see if using that Meego Accounts manager doesn't make his project too platform dependant. Also, that "Python + PySide" is a toolset to write programs in Python for Qt, the native Meego GUI toolkit. About his worry for running in the background, there's nothing more natural for webOS!

Tarek has even made a name: WazApp
    Last edited by jcmarcos; 03/30/2012 at 09:54 AM.

Rnp likes this.
    As a side subject: I've installed Bluestacks in my work's PC, and it's true, WhatsApp works wonderfully.

Previously, I tried to use the official Android emulator from the SDK, which is of course much harder to use than Bluestacks (not to mention hugely slow, as it emulates an ARM CPU). I sucessfully installed WhatsApp, and bound the emulator to Fiddler, but when done so, network traffic didn't get right to the emulator, and even simple web browsing from it failed. Also, perhaps due to the unsourced WhatsApp version I installed, even without Fiddler I was unable to register.

Meanwhile, registering and using WhatsApp in Bluestacks was a breeze. This Android emulator is a great achievement.

Now, I'm trying yo get to grips with WireShark, a whole new beast compared to Fiddler, as it is a full network traffic analyzer. So far, I'm very scared and lost at the amount of information it spits, I can't even manage to filter it down to what I think I need...

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast