Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I have been working on a new web browser for the HP webOS platform, Universe. It is currently in alpha stage, but progressing rather rapidly. I hope to release it soon.

In the mean time, I am looking for testers for this web browser. It is currently in alpha, but I hope to get it to beta shortly, and then release. If you are interested, please email beta@openmobl.com and I will get you signed up!

Here is a screen shot (there are a few others in the Universe set on Flickr): Smart Search in Universe | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks!
    Donald
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    +1
    Screenshot seems promising.
    WebOS FTW!!
    Franklin eBookMan >> Palm Zire71 >> Lifedrive with flash mod >> Palm Pre Plus
    Sweet, I'll try it out.

Is it actually a whole new browser, or is it built on top of what webOS already offers? What I mean is, is it like PreFox, a browser with a separate, compiled rendering engine, or does it use webOS's rendering engine?
    Quote Originally Posted by kamazepine View Post
    +1
    Screenshot seems promising.
    WebOS FTW!!
    +1
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Sweet, I'll try it out.

Is it actually a whole new browser, or is it built on top of what webOS already offers? What I mean is, is it like PreFox, a browser with a separate, compiled rendering engine, or does it use webOS's rendering engine?
    It uses the webOS rendering engine. I have contemplated doing a PDK style app with its own rendering engine, but I am not sure that would make for an efficient user experience (things would likely be sloooow).
    Did you know:

dkirker, I remember Universe was a PalmOS project initially, wasn't it?
    I was excited with it that time, but guess the days of pos are over, so best of luck on this project! will be waiting for the release!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsirg View Post
    dkirker, I remember Universe was a PalmOS project initially, wasn't it?
    I was excited with it that time, but guess the days of pos are over, so best of luck on this project! will be waiting for the release!
    That is correct. The thread is still somewhere archived in these forums.

Thanks!
    Did you know:

xandros9 likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Also, feature requests are greatly appreciated. I want to make this the best web browser.
    Did you know:

feature requests are greatly appreciated.
    Here is one: disable images loading, for those with expensive data connections
    Any plans on having tabs?
    I am already a tester. I emaiked you last night about some bugs. What I want to see is landscape which is coming, and tabs!
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Also, feature requests are greatly appreciated. I want to make this the best web browser.
    Smart search looks useful. If you could add 'find on page', that would be great.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    wapedia (wikipedia cleint) has a very fast and useful arrow to go to the top of page. Is this possible in the browser?
    -take a hint from internalz - two fingered swipe up/down to go to the top/bottom of page

-fullscreen mode/ two fingered tap to make icons disappear

-goes without saying - support just type/other necessary 2.x.x features

-frankly i don't want tabs - the webOS browser way of having multiple windows works REALLY well as it allows the use of the advanced quick gestures, and tabs use up space in the window (or at least a way to disable tabs)

-support for multiple search engines (could you have a way of adding search engines like webos 2.x.x?)

-exhibition mode feed (when on wifi) of a view of your favourite website that updates (times changeable) / RSS feed?

-FIND ON PAGE

a word of advice - keep the "tiled bookmarks startup view (or make it most visited)

and love the idea and the look of it
    webOS needs more browsers
    O2 UK Pre Plus, Official (German) ROW webOS 2.1
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I will also sign up.

Requested Features:
    - Find In Page
    - Browser Scrollbar
    - Font Size Decrease/Increase
    - Offline Page saving/reading
    - No new tab implementation; yes, this is a feature
    - fullscreen mode
    - two fingered tap for page top/page bottom
    - An inbuilt RSS reader.

Thanks again for your efforts!!!
    veerar.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    are you still accepting beta testers?
    It needs to let me specify the starting page, and to share bookmarks with the webOS default browser. Landscape, lock orientation in landscape, and 2-finger swipe for jumping to top and bottom.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    are you still accepting beta testers?
    Drop and email to beta@openmobl.com.
    Did you know:

19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by 7 fissurez View Post
    keep the "tiled bookmarks startup view (or make it most visited)
    I am looking into a similar thing for webOS 2.0+ devices.
    Did you know:

I really like it so far. Very nice when the icons have been removed
    could really do with something such as meta tap to hide/bring up icons
    and meta tap + swipe / two fingered swipe to go to top or bottom of page

needs just type support that rivals the default browser, and the ability to become the default application for web addresses

I love how it feels faster than the default browser, but hate the homescreen. (sorry)

oh, and scrollbar!!!!
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast