Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Just picked up the app and I'm liking it a lot. Great job!

So far I've found two issues that are keeping me from using this browser all the time.

The lack of a meta-tap context menu for opening a link in a new window is a problem for me but it looks like you're already working on addressing that in a future release.

The biggest issue I've found that I haven't seen mentioned in this forum is that when using feed reader applications it opens the link in the standard browser even after I've set Universe as my default browser in WebOS. If I click a text link in the RSS feed it opens in Universe but if I click the button to open the current page it opens in the original browser. I've tried it in Feeds and in Feeder and they both act the same way.

Is there a way around this that I'm not seeing? Is this something that needs to be fixed on the feed reader apps or is it something that needs to happen on the Universe side? 90% of my browser usage occurs from RSS feeds so, unfortunately, this issue is very problematic for me.

Thanks for all your hard work on this app!
    Quote Originally Posted by cme333 View Post

So far I've found two issues that are keeping me from using this browser all the time.

The lack of a meta-tap context menu for opening a link in a new window is a problem for me but it looks like you're already working on addressing that in a future release.

The biggest issue I've found that I haven't seen mentioned in this forum is that when using feed reader applications it opens the link in the standard browser even after I've set Universe as my default browser in WebOS. If I click a text link in the RSS feed it opens in Universe but if I click the button to open the current page it opens in the original browser. I've tried it in Feeds and in Feeder and they both act the same way.

Is there a way around this that I'm not seeing? Is this something that needs to be fixed on the feed reader apps or is it something that needs to happen on the Universe side? 90% of my browser usage occurs from RSS feeds so, unfortunately, this issue is very problematic for me.

i imagine the default browser setting only works for links and links only, whereas what is happening when the original browser is opened is it is being opened then the link is pasted in automatically... or something like that.

it also happens with the go to site option in just type. i don't think this is anything dkirker can fix.

(p.s. gratz on release, its been fun to contribute and test this app - i will get it as soon as i work out how to get money on my palm account without using a credit card XD)

oh, and does the lock orientation still only work for the card you are using? (was a bug in the beta)
    Last edited by 7 fissurez; 04/24/2011 at 03:03 PM.
    O2 UK Pre Plus, Official (German) ROW webOS 2.1
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by cme333 View Post

Tap and hold to bring up the context menu. Meta tap to show/hide the navigation icons when the "Hide Icons" preference is set.

Quote Originally Posted by cme33 View Post

Please read this article: Setting Universe as Default Browser : OpenMobl Systems

It should answer your question. Basically, some app developers directly launch the stock web browser instead of using the proper mechanism for launching the default web browser.

Quote Originally Posted by cme33 View Post
    Thanks!
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Tap and hold to bring up the context menu. Meta tap to show/hide the navigation icons when the "Hide Icons" preference is set.
    Awesome, that's really handy!!

Please read this article: Setting Universe as Default Browser : OpenMobl Systems

It should answer your question. Basically, some app developers directly launch the stock web browser instead of using the proper mechanism for launching the default web browser.
    I've emailed the developers for Feeds and Feeder to see if they can make that change in their next releases. Hopefully one of them will change things soon.

Thanks for the quick response.
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by 7 fissurez View Post
    i imagine the default browser setting only works for links and links only, whereas what is happening when the original browser is opened is it is being opened then the link is pasted in automatically... or something like that.

it also happens with the go to site option in just type. i don't think this is anything dkirker can fix.
    Yeah. The Just Type stuff is kind of special... What I did was create a Just Type extension for Universe. If you go into the Just Type preferences you can add an option to launch Universe and go to a website.

(p.s. gratz on release, its been fun to contribute and test this app - i will get it as soon as i work out how to get money on my palm account without using a credit card XD)
    Thanks!

oh, and does the lock orientation still only work for the card you are using? (was a bug in the beta)
    Yeah... >.< I need to fix that in the 1.1 release. I submitted to the app catalog and realized that this was missing.
    Did you know:

is there a video of this in action? Especially want to see it side by side with teh stock browser.
    I normally use google ig full view as my homepage. But for some reason google ig doesn't properly display in Universe browser. its shows all cut off.. Anyone else having this problem?
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    after learning the universe way of doing things, I actually really enjoy this browser.
    it's my new default!

my 2 however: one feature I really miss with the stock web browser (that I added with a patch) was for a full screen view once I navigated away from the top of the page.

is this possible to implement as an option in a future release? Or at least have the icons disappear?
    as nifty as meta-tapping is, it's one extra step and less fluid than simply scrolling down a bit.

speaking of scrolling, a two finger power scroll would be pretty great - thanks for adding scroll and progress bars too!

last feature I'd like: the way bookmarks are handled right now is a wee bit ugly.
    my folders don't stay opened when I re-access the bookmarks screen.
    I actually like the card view the stock browser uses. Any chance of a mesh between the two?
    also, is it possible to set my bookmarks screen as my homepage?

thanks for the hard work - though universe is still somewhat immature, I always like to support devs with a purchase!
    +1 for the bookmarks homepage, visual bookmarks, and open folder of bookmarks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayln View Post
    my 2 however: one feature I really miss with the stock web browser (that I added with a patch) was for a full screen view once I navigated away from the top of the page.
    +1 First thing I noticed on this browser that I really wish were incorporated. Hopefully on the next update!
    So I bought the app. the front page of precentral said the browser had flash support...yet flash doesnt work for me :/
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    So I bought the app. the front page of precentral said the browser had flash support...yet flash doesnt work for me :/
    you need to have webOS 2.x for flash support.
    you need to have webOS 2.x for flash support.
    I do have 2.1 on a pre 2...
  14.    #74  
    Go into the stock browser and make sure that flash is enabled. When Universe loads a page, ignore what the icon shows (it seems to show a "play" button in the default browser only, and a question mark in other apps), tap it. Flash works for me. For some reason it has been hit or miss for others. But you NEED to have it enabled in the stock browser.

This preference option needs to be added to Universe (it did not make the 1.0 cut, but maybe should have).
    Did you know:

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Hi, WebOs noob here. Is there any way to buy the app from a country with no paid app access?
    Go into the stock browser and make sure that flash is enabled. When Universe loads a page, ignore what the icon shows (it seems to show a "play" button in the default browser only, and a question mark in other apps), tap it. Flash works for me. For some reason it has been hit or miss for others. But you NEED to have it enabled in the stock browser.

This preference option needs to be added to Universe (it did not make the 1.0 cut, but maybe should have).
    yeah flash is enabled in the stock, all I get is a lego piece with a question mark
    Quote Originally Posted by Estrelo View Post
    Hi, WebOs noob here. Is there any way to buy the app from a country with no paid app access?
    Unfortunately not at the present time. Blame HPalm, your carrier ect.
  18.    #78  
    yeah flash is enabled in the stock, all I get is a lego piece with a question mark
    Tap it!
  19.    #79  
    after learning the universe way of doing things, I actually really enjoy this browser.
    it's my new default!

is this possible to implement as an option in a future release? Or at least have the icons disappear?
    as nifty as meta-tapping is, it's one extra step and less fluid than simply scrolling down a bit.

speaking of scrolling, a two finger power scroll would be pretty great - thanks for adding scroll and progress bars too!

last feature I'd like: the way bookmarks are handled right now is a wee bit ugly.
    my folders don't stay opened when I re-access the bookmarks screen.
    I actually like the card view the stock browser uses. Any chance of a mesh between the two?
    also, is it possible to set my bookmarks screen as my homepage?

thanks for the hard work - though universe is still somewhat immature, I always like to support devs with a purchase!
    I'll think about other ways to handle the navigation icons. I'm not sure I like meta tapping, but right now I think it is the best solution.
    Tap it!
    I did, either nothing happens or the page crashes (tried lots of different sites, vimeo, full youtube, miniclip)