1.    #1  
    Is there any way to get album art out of the Photos app and keep it from being put there to begin with?

I found a couple more-than-a-year-old threads on this, but the solutions involved dumping all the music off my Pre and putting it back on with a third-party app. Ugh. Surely there is an easier way to do this.
    you have your album art in your photos app?

i just use AAC music files from itunes and mediamonkey to sync. gets me album art fine
    O2 UK Pre Plus, Official (German) ROW webOS 2.1
  3. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    Is there any way to get album art out of the Photos app and keep it from being put there to begin with?

I found a couple more-than-a-year-old threads on this, but the solutions involved dumping all the music off my Pre and putting it back on with a third-party app. Ugh. Surely there is an easier way to do this.
    Album art won't show up in the photo app if it's embedded into id3 tags, so one way would be just to embed your album art, rather than having separate album art files. That being said, if you do want/choose/need to have album art separate, you can hide those files from the photo app by renaming the folders containing those files with a "." in front (i.e. ".album art" rather than "album art"). The "." in front in the folder name should hide those files from showing up in the photo app.
    While ay's recommendation for embedding album art is correct, there actually is a bug in webOS 2.x that causes album art images (located in the music folders) to appear in the Photos app (or any other app that displays the list of images).

I have seen the same issue on my device. In webOS 1.4.5, none of my album art images appear in the Photos app, but on my webOS 2.1 device, it shows up. I also encountered this webOS 2.x bug when developing the "randomize wallpaper" feature in Music Player (Remix). I found that it was pulling in album art images when generating a random wallpaper image. I had to develop my own workaround to make sure the wallpaper was not set to an album art image.

Palm is aware of the issue and hopefully will get it fixed in a future webOS update.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I have seen the same issue on my device. In webOS 1.4.5, none of my album art images appear in the Photos app, but on my webOS 2.1 device, it shows up. ...
    Strange, my album art showed up in the Photos app in 1.4.5 for me...

Any recommendations for applications to fetch and embed album art?
  6. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    While ay's recommendation for embedding album art is correct, there actually is a bug in webOS 2.x that causes album art images (located in the music folders) to appear in the Photos app (or any other app that displays the list of images).

I have seen the same issue on my device. In webOS 1.4.5, none of my album art images appear in the Photos app, but on my webOS 2.1 device, it shows up. I also encountered this webOS 2.x bug when developing the "randomize wallpaper" feature in Music Player (Remix). I found that it was pulling in album art images when generating a random wallpaper image. I had to develop my own workaround to make sure the wallpaper was not set to an album art image.

Palm is aware of the issue and hopefully will get it fixed in a future webOS update.
    I'm still stuck on 1.4.5 and am hesitant to play around with the Pre "minus" upgrade options that exist right now. Therefore, I wouldn't know about any 2.x issues. Thanks for providing the additional 2.x details.

Here's hoping something comes out regarding a next Sprint option sooner than later ;-)
  7. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Strange, my album art showed up in the Photos app in 1.4.5 for me...

Any recommendations for applications to fetch and embed album art?
    I already use MediaMonkey (MediaMonkey Free Media Jukebox, Music Manager, CD Ripper & Converter) for my music collection, so that does the job for me (plus many other features). For purely id3 tag needs, I've read in many places, including these forums, that mp3Tag (Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)) works very well for many people.