1.    #1  
    I'm mostly an Android user, but have a Pre 2 to test for 3 weeks.

In the Android Marketplace, before you install an app, you can see a list of the "permissions" the app wants. These permissions refer to the various parts of the phone the app will want/need to access to work. For example, apps that serve ads will want "internet access". Apps that have something to do with Text Messaging, will want access to "SMS", and apps like notebook apps ask for permission to read/write to the storage space (microSD card or internal storage). These are just a few examples.

In this way, a user knows what an app will have access to, and can judge accordingly if they want to install. For example, an app that gives you wallpapers, or an app that turns the screen into a flashlight, would have no legitimate need to access your SMS, or your contacts. Apps like that might be up to something nefarious.

In the Pre App Catalogue I see nothing like this. How do Pre users know what an app is accessing after it's installed? How do you know an app you installed isn't accessing your contacts list and sending it to a third party? How do you know an app isn't going to start sending or receiving "premium" text messages?

How does this sort of security work on the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by mjschmidt View Post
    In the Pre App Catalogue I see nothing like this. How do Pre users know what an app is accessing after it's installed? How do you know an app you installed isn't accessing your contacts list and sending it to a third party? How do you know an app isn't going to start sending or receiving "premium" text messages?

How does this sort of security work on the Pre?
    My understanding is that most of this access is blocked when you are using standard (javascript) apps. PDK apps are different and there is a new security model for them in 2.1.0 as I understand it.