Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. c4r
    UPDATE:: The full version of the nexrad weather radar app is now in the app catalog! It's called
    WeatherMaps Radar. I did make a number of improvements from what I initially wrote below. The biggest difference is that when you 'touch and drag' the map, the app will detect the new map center and, if there's a closer radar site to the new map center, it will display that radar image. This makes it a lot easier and more intuitive to view the radar images. Hope you enjoy the app...let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

==========================================

I'm putting the final touches on a brand new dedicated GPS Weather Radar App and I'd like anyone's input as to what they most need/like/want in a radar app.

Currently it uses webOS's integrated Google Map so map dragging works fine. I created a 'High Contrast' map so viewing the radar images is a lot easier. Road and Terrain maps are there, as well. I am working on 'pinch to zoom'. '+' and '-' zooms work fine (and are quicker than pinch to zoom, actually). You have a choice of 8 different radar image types. All images are now timestamped. Adjacent radar site images are just a click away. The only thing is left looping (which isn't easy since the Google Map v3 API doesn't allow for it directly) - but I am working on it. Up to 20 images to be looped (if the Pre's memory/processor can handle it-we'll see)..which is around 2-3 hours of looping - more than any other site or app.
    Down the road I may add a 'current conditions' field, maybe a forecast button, and maybe the 'warnings boxes'.

So...any suggestions? Anything else you'd like to see in a radar app. I'd like to get the final revisions done this week and submit it to the App Catalog by the end of the week. Just in time for the severe weather season.

(a few more screenshots - these don't show the timestamp since I created these before I added timestamps. You can kinda see the timestamp in the 2nd image above. Under Dallas/Ft Worth, TX 1520 Z)
    Last edited by c4r; 04/18/2011 at 02:27 PM.
    Lightning information?
    The App looks great By the way.
  3. c4r
    Lightning...I hadn't thought of that one! Great idea. I'll see if I can source real-time data somewhere for it. That's definitely on the list! Thanks...

Any other suggestions or improvement ideas?
    Timelapse viewing with the ability to go back and forward in time to see how the weather pattern is moving.

Ability to add other locations besides "You are here"
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I'd agree, being able to center the image on another location (although having a GPS auto find button would be great too) would be key.

The app looks great though.
  6. c4r
    For now, it starts out at your current location. But you can move around and view any of the lower 48's 155 or so WSR-88D Nexrad radar sites' images. I may set it up where, when you restart the app, it remembers where you were last at and loads up that radar site 1st. Double clicking anywhere on the map will take you to the nearest radar site to that location. Timelapse/looping is definitely important and what I'm actually working on right now....and it's not easy programming. =)

Great input! And the more the better.

Thanks.
  7. c4r
    Also...those 3 letter buttons (i.e. DGW, GWX, POE, etc) will re-center the map and load that new, adjacent radar. Making it easy to quickly jump to a nearby radar to see if that small storm on the edge of your current radar is a really big storm in an adjacent radar and moving your way.
    Great work so far! I would echo the same suggestions here already. I was also about to say timestamps, but I looked at the description again and you've already got that covered.

Actually how about this for a suggestion...the ability to center over a particular airport, either from a list of nearby airports based on GPS or simply by inputting an airport's 3 letter code. I'm imagining a traveler in a departure terminal wondering if they should change their flight based on how the weather is shaping up at their current or destination airport. I know people have been in that position many times just this past winter when the snow storms were coming through here on the east coast, and wishing they could get a feel for whether a flight was likely to get cancelled.
    Last edited by sq5; 03/08/2011 at 09:52 AM.
    Will this be able to track tropical storms / hurricanes for the continental United States (Just curious). This app looks great.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    The ability to override the GPS and pick by zipcode or other input method. Keeping a list of favorites of places.

Wind direction and speed would be nice.

I would be very interested in helping to test this app when it is ready for outside testing.
    All good suggestions.

Ahem. Not to rush you, but golf season is rapidly approaching here in New England... ;.)
    I would second the wind speed and direction info. Those of us that sail love to have that info at our fingertips. Thanks for your work on this!
    What's the source of the radar images? It's pretty impressive.
  14. c4r
    Thanks for the suggestions and kudos.

I'm planning on making a suite of map based weather apps. So if I can't include your suggestion in this radar app...there's a good chance that you'll see in the coming weeks in a separate app. I like the idea of a dedicated hurricane tracking app. The radar imagery is primarily over land and pretty close to shore. For good hurricane tracking, we'd use enhanced satellite imagery. But that is definitely on the list.

I'm still trying to find real-time lightning data...

I will probably include searching by zip/city/airport code in an upcoming update. That shouldn't be too hard to do.

Now wind direction...that'd be a really good one from a storm chaser true weather enthusiast point of view....and is one I'm looking really hard at. I have some great ideas on it. Not sure if I'll be able to overlay it on the radar imagery or not. It will, at least, be a separate app.

BTW, I have B.S. in Meteorology, have been programming using the Google Map API's for years and have been a Palm fan since my Palm VIIx. So I thought what'd better than putting the three things I know best together.

I have a couple small things to work out regarding webOS 2.1 compatibility (in addition to getting animation working) before I release it to the App Catalog. I will release a 'Lite' version that will be free in addition to the full version.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    +1 for wind speed and direction.
    Also how about isobars?
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    You can get real time lightning data here.

The U.S. National Lightning Detection Network Database (NLDN)
  17. c4r
    Nethan,
    Thanks for that link. I'm actually familiar with the NLDN website. I believe they use a 3rd party for disseminating their data - namely Vaisala. It's a pay per report service. I'm still looking into it, tho.

Regarding windspeed and direction, webOS and HTML5 actually have a pretty cool way to possibly display this. Using the classic wind barb notation for speed and direction. More on this one as I get it worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by nethan View Post
    You can get real time lightning data here.

The U.S. National Lightning Detection Network Database (NLDN)
  18. c4r
    I've been working on adding windspeed and direction to my app (which is STILL waiting for approval).
    It will look something like this.
    WeatherMaps - Wind
    with radar imposed underneath the wind barbs and the custom hi contrast map.

I still have to work out speeding up the load time and finishing the implementation into webos...which should be pretty straight forward.

Oh...the new radar app is called.... WeatherMaps - Radar.

I'll let you know when the wind barbs addon is implemented.

Cheers.
    Last edited by c4r; 04/05/2011 at 11:51 AM.
    how long have you been waiting for approval? You should contact chuq or sue at PDC@.... That will speed things up.
  20. c4r
    Yeah....I do have a contact there (Adam), so I was trying to go thru him 1st. Next stop is chuq or pdc.

I've been waiting about a week. Adam said the release of the 3.0 SDK slowed things up a bit.

Thanks.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast