Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Wow... this looks great. As a Skywarn storm spotter, I was wishing for an app like this the whole year I had my Pre. This actually looks like it might be better than anything I've found on Android. I might even consider picking up a used Pre/Pre Plus on the cheap just to use this app. I don't see it in the screen shots, but I assume this puts some kind of marker on the map that shows your location?

I have no idea how difficult this would be, but a great feature would be integration with Spotter Network like you can do with Radarscope on the iPhone.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk
    hummm I live in pensacola so you must be close by from the locations showing up on Ur maps ? Am I wrong ??
    I'm on the paid app.
    Questions:
    How did you get the GPS to lock on so quickly? I'm on Verizon and none of the other GPS based apps on my phone do it as quickly as this.
    Which radar view most approximates what is used on wunderground or weather channel?
    I'm seeing blue "stuff" around my location but there's no precipitation. Do I just ignore this?
    Thanks and keep up the good work!
  4. c4r
    Quote Originally Posted by fahzz View Post
    I'm on the paid app.
    Questions:
    How did you get the GPS to lock on so quickly? I'm on Verizon and none of the other GPS based apps on my phone do it as quickly as this.
    Fahzz...I'm not 100% why your other GPS apps lock on so slowly. I have read about Verizon being slow to lock on GPS signals. I'm using, what I believe, is the standard method to access the GPS for use in WeatherMaps - Radar. I'm really glad it's locking on quick and working well for you!

I'm seeing blue "stuff" around my location but there's no precipitation. Do I just ignore this?
    When there's no precipitation in the area of the radar site, the radar operates in 'Clear Air Mode'. This is a special setting of the radar that gives it enhanced sensitivity that often picks up things in the atmosphere you wouldn't normally be able to spot on radar, like dust clouds, flocks of birds, temperature inversions, and also "ground clutter" from reflections off terrain and buildings in the area. So, in most circumstances, that 'blue stuff' you're seeing is ground clutter and can basically be ignored. When there is precip in the area, the radar will operate in 'Precipitation Mode'. In this mode, the radar's sensitivity is reduced, so that ground clutter and other objects don't interfere with the imaging of the precipitation.

Which radar view most approximates what is used on wunderground or weather channel?
    We get our radar feed directly from the National Weather Service. I process it differently than they do, but that's where it comes from. Wunderground and the weather channel use a slightly different NWS data feed and process it a bit differently.

Thanks and keep up the good work!
    Thank you for your questions and comments! I'm committed to releasing updates and keeping this one of the best radar apps in the App Catalog.
    I have been following this app and offered a few suggestions earlier. Is there a trial version available or any special deals for the PreCentral community?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I was waiting for this to pop up in the app catalog. Somehow I missed it. Oh well. Downloading now.
    I am not able to find this app in preware or the app cat - what is it listed as? I looked under "GPS Weather".

I had a version installed and it was giving me problems it would open to a blank screen labled "Reload", "50%", "75%" most of the time. When it did work it was great - but it was inconsistent.
    Radar Imagery - Environment Canada
    Satellite Imagery - Environment Canada
    Lightning Detection - Environment Canada
    Satellite and Radar: Interactive Weather Maps - The Weather Network

Here are some links for Canadian weather content. This looks like an awesome app, hope you can implement some of this so those of us up north can use this too
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  9. c4r
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    I am not able to find this app in preware or the app cat - what is it listed as? I looked under "GPS Weather".
    The full version is called WeatherMaps Radar. It should show up in the catalog. Here's the direct link, if you need it:
    https://developer.palm.com/appredire...athermapsradar

Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I have been following this app and offered a few suggestions earlier. Is there a trial version available or any special deals for the PreCentral community?
    I do have a 'Beta Catalog' version of this app. It's pretty basic and can be a bit buggy. It's here:
    https://developer.palm.com/appredire...cratchradarmap

Thanks to everyone for their interest...I'm working on updates (favorites list and warning boxes will probably be 1st...followed by others). You can always email me at dave (at) jancoapps.com if you need any help with the app.

For those of you with the app....it was really nice to be able to track those severe storms that rolled thru recently (we had hail at my house). We're obviously getting into the meat of the severe weather season....

Dave.
    Janco Apps
    WeatherMaps - Radar
    Quote Originally Posted by c4r View Post
    The full version is called WeatherMaps Radar. It should show up in the catalog. Here's the direct link, if you need it:
    https://developer.palm.com/appredire...athermapsradar
    Thank you!

I do have a 'Beta Catalog' version of this app. It's pretty basic and can be a bit buggy. It's here:
    https://developer.palm.com/appredire...cratchradarmap
    That's the one I was trying. It really is not working for me at all reliably. What makes that buggy and the main one not? I hate to sound picky about this but I don't want to spend money on an app that has been really unreliable in my testing - meaning it doesn't run many times when I needed it.

Thanks to everyone for their interest...I'm working on updates (favorites list and warning boxes will probably be 1st...followed by others). You can always email me at dave (at) jancoapps.com if you need any help with the app.
    Thank you!

For those of you with the app....it was really nice to be able to track those severe storms that rolled thru recently (we had hail at my house). We're obviously getting into the meat of the severe weather season....
    I really missed that ability myself. I couldn't get it to load and had to use some inferior maps to watch my area. Luckily most of the bad weather lifted north of me.
    just got the app. looks cool

is there any where i can find out specifically what the different displays are telling you? or should i just start googling
  12. c4r
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    That's the one I was trying. It really is not working for me at all reliably. What makes that buggy and the main one not? I hate to sound picky about this but I don't want to spend money on an app that has been really unreliable in my testing - meaning it doesn't run many times when I needed it.
    In all my tests on a Pre Plus and a Pre2, the full version of the app loads quickly and without any problems. And I have 4.5 star rating in the App Catalog. To be honest, it's been a while since I looked at the old beta catalog/ free version programming. That was more of a 'see if this is even possible' scenario than anything. The full version was almost completely programmed from scratch.
  13. c4r
    Quote Originally Posted by tshile View Post
    just got the app. looks cool

is there any where i can find out specifically what the different displays are telling you? or should i just start googling
    I"m working on a nice FAQ for my app regarding this...but in lieu of that..
    MNSU has a good concise overview.
    Radar Imagery Basics

And google will give you tons of good info regarding the different radar imagery types, as well.

Thanks!!
    In all my tests on a Pre Plus and a Pre2, the full version of the app loads quickly and without any problems. And I have 4.5 star rating in the App Catalog. To be honest, it's been a while since I looked at the old beta catalog/ free version programming. That was more of a 'see if this is even possible' scenario than anything. The full version was almost completely programmed from scratch.
    Tell you what - if you tell me that if I buy it and it doesn't work correctly you'll try to fix it and if you can't do so in a reasonable amount of time you'll refund the money - I'll buy it. You probably should jettison the beta if it's not representative of the stability of the app also as you might lose potential customers otherwise.
  15. c4r
    Thanks.

I'm finally getting some time to upload a couple new updates today or tomorrow. Plus I'm starting to look into integrating my app with the Spotter Network data. It make take some time...but I think it'd be a very usefully update...and a lot of fun! I'll contact the SN people in the coming week and see what we can work out.

Any questions or suggestions, just let me know.

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by kd0axs View Post
    Wow... this looks great. As a Skywarn storm spotter, I was wishing for an app like this the whole year I had my Pre. This actually looks like it might be better than anything I've found on Android. I might even consider picking up a used Pre/Pre Plus on the cheap just to use this app. I don't see it in the screen shots, but I assume this puts some kind of marker on the map that shows your location?

I have no idea how difficult this would be, but a great feature would be integration with Spotter Network like you can do with Radarscope on the iPhone.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Great App. Its spring thunderstorm season, so its really useful. Two requests, 1) to be able to set hi-contrast as default and exhibition, it would be nice to be able to leave a radar screen up while charging on the touchstone.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
  17. c4r
    I've been working on the updates...and in doing so, I've decided to rewrite most of the code to improve functionality and make implementing updates easier. Therefore, it's taking a bit longer to push my updates through. (Plus I've been real busy in my other jobs - the ones that pay my bills. =)

@jaltman: I've been trying to get the hi-contrast map mode to be the default map...but Google Maps has been giving me problems with it. No matter what I try, it's not letting me do it on the Pre. It works fine in the emulator, but not the actual phone. - Makes me think the phone is loading the code too slow....I'll keep working on it, tho.

The next update will be remembering your last location and loading that radar location and nexrad image on startup. Then there will be a 'gps button' that will move the map and load the current radar image for your current location. Re-pressing the button will reload image and gps location.

I like the idea of running it in exhibition mode! I hadn't really thought about that. I'll definitely put that on the list. Great Idea....thanks! Keep the suggestions coming!

Quote Originally Posted by jaltman View Post
    Great App. Its spring thunderstorm season, so its really useful. Two requests, 1) to be able to set hi-contrast as default and exhibition, it would be nice to be able to leave a radar screen up while charging on the touchstone.
    Again, this really has potential. I use it when there is a storm present and to see exactly where the heavy stuff is. Could we get the radar image to auto-update say every 5 or ten minutes? Great idea about Exhibition.
  19. c4r
    I have been looking at the systemTime protocol in webos to see how an auto-update would work. It will have to wait until my app re-write is done.

FYI, you can 'touch' the current map time in the top left part of the screen (i.e. 1824Z) to refresh the current radar image. If there's a newer radar image, it will then be displayed.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Again, this really has potential. I use it when there is a storm present and to see exactly where the heavy stuff is. Could we get the radar image to auto-update say every 5 or ten minutes? Great idea about Exhibition.
    Anything new on this? i.e. animated radar...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast