1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI.

Take care of yourselves,

Jay

HP launches new telehealth pushFebruary 28, 2011 — 7:04pm ET | By Sara Jackson - Contributing Editor

http://www.fiercemobilehealthcare.co...ush/2011-02-28

Read more: HP launches new telehealth push - FierceMobileHealthcare HP launches new telehealth push - FierceMobileHealthcare
    Subscribe: Mobile Healthcare Newsletter - FierceMobileHealthcare
    After Hewlett-Packard bought Palm and it's WebOS, for $1 billion last year, we knew the company was serious about mobile health. This year, HP is following up with a cadre of four new mHealth product partnerships--which it debuted at HIMSS11 in Orlando last week--plus some new hardware for mobile applications. It doesn't exactly catch HP up to the blazing fast development going on at Apple or Google, but may signal growing momentum.

The products run the gamut from emergency-related telehealth systems to monitoring systems for seniors. Here's a quick peek:

•Canvys: HP's first stab at a mobile imaging and picture archiving and communication system (PACS), Canvys can display bio-medical data, plus ultrasound, cardiac and other images. It's augmented with Medweb's cloud-hosted imaging and data repository, HP officials say.
    •LifeBot: Designed for emergency responders, it's powered by LifeBot's Disaster Relief and Emergency Medical Services (DREAMS), and allows EMTs and others to transmit critical patient data in real time, from the site of the emergency. It runs on HP's Slate 500.
    •Medical Information Systems To You (MISTY): Created by Parental Health, the software application has been bundled into HP TouchSmart 9100 PC, and allows users to read, track and send alerts about an aging loved one's daily health indicators, medication status and other values.
    The vendor also debuted three new mobile hardware options last week, the Pre 3 and Veer smartphones, as well as the TouchPad tablet. Reviewers at iMedicalApps indicate the hardware is sturdy and responsive, but may only earn fans in the medical community if HP boosts its app development. No word yet if the new telehealth offerings will be enabled for use on the smartphones or tablet, but we'll keep an eye out.

Read more: HP launches new telehealth push - FierceMobileHealthcare HP launches new telehealth push - FierceMobileHealthcare
    Subscribe: Mobile Healthcare Newsletter - FierceMobileHealthcare
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Thanks Jay!
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    HP has a huge presence in the healthcare field on the hardware side... would be interesting if they pushed medical software companies to create webOS apps and loaded TouchPads with them for the medical field.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/01/2011 at 01:20 AM.
    <<thread moved from Off-Topic to webOS Medical Apps Forum>>
    I don't see any mention of webOS in that article.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    I don't see any mention of webOS in that article.
    first sentence?
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Telehealth sounds interesting. But as long as I have been in medicine, about 25 years now, telehealth has been touted as a cure-all. However, other than home monitoring and rural psychiatry, I have not seen it pan out in sustained practice. The lack of meeting billing criteria is a huge impediment.

More affordable digital imaging, similar to PACS would be incredibly useful. Right now, GE's PACS system is absurdly overpriced, so at our rural clinic, we print our digital xrays to be driven to the hospital and read. Furthermore, we have no access to the digital images in the system because the PACS licenses are so expensive. If HP introduces major competition to GE, then healthcare and costs should benefit.

But I doubt WebOS will be a player in major imaging. Bigger screens are needed.

Point of care ultrasound or spirometry or similar small-scale testing using a tablet or laptop for the processing and display, could be a WebOS niche.

On the large scale, the system I work in replaced IBM, Lenovo, and Dells boxes and laptops with HP everything in 2009 in prep for an electronic system, and it has worked very well overall. So I am stoked to see HP doing more in medicine, especially if it makes my phone (and soon TouchPad) ever more useful, too.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by BBooDoc; 03/01/2011 at 09:10 PM. Reason: minor edits
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    first sentence?
    Apart from that I meant webOS specific telehealth apps.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Lifesize also provide telehealth and telemedicine resources through their video conferencing equipment which can be viewed here - Telemedicine Technology and Solutions

Hope this helps.