Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    download webOS Quick Install (version 4.0, I think. Search for it in the forums). Use webOS Quick Install Preware and one you have preware, you can search for other free apps, patches and themes to customize your phone.
    <RANT> My point, (which I made earlier as well) is that if the Pre is going to be a successful device, it needs to be easy to use by the majority of people, the kind of people who use iPhones and never jailbreak them.

If I have to go searching forums for something to install on my computer to then search the net for other apps to install through my computer, that's a lot of convoluted steps. Now for those of us savvy enough (yes, I could do it) it's not a problem. I would argue people who hang out in these forums would have no trouble doing it. You have to think about the kind of users who won't come to the forums, who won't know about or care about installing HB apps, and who want to be able to just easily tap about in the app catalogue to get everything without having to follow the steps above.

As I said in my previous post, I might be willing/able to do this, but my wife isn't, and she's the sort person/reason I asked my original question about the lack of quality FREE apps for pre compared to Android.

Now, I've had this argument with people in the Android forums regarding official OS updates vs Rooting and installing ROMs, and the inevitable responses are "Dude, it's easy. I did it, and it was easy."

So, in anticipation of those responses, I want to emphasize, again... those of us here would find it easy, we are gadget/tech people/geeks. That's why we're in this forum. we have to think about the larger market of people who won't find it easy, assuming they even know about the possibility. The majority of people want the easiest path to the end possible, and the easiest path is, in fact, the app catalogue already on the device.

if the argument is "Well, we don't want those people using the Pre, if they want something that easy they can get an iPhone", then what you're really saying is "I'm okay with the Pre being a niche market that never gains more than a small market-share, thus probably dooming it to fail since it does not get enough adoption in the market to make it worth HP's time and investment." </RANT>

Now, back to the topic more specifically, I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a FREE file management app so I can see the files on my device?
    Quote Originally Posted by mjschmidt View Post
    Now, back to the topic more specifically, I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a FREE file management app so I can see the files on my device?
    On device file management isn't possible from an official app through 1.4.5. It's possible in 2.0+, but I don't think anyone made such an app available just yet.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    On device file management isn't possible from an official app through 1.4.5. It's possible in 2.0+, but I don't think anyone made such an app available just yet.
    So... how do we manage files on the 16gb of memory included?
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    and even if they had, everyone's aware of the 2.x NDA on developers preventing many releases

So... how do we manage files on the 16gb of memory included?
    Use my homebrew app, Internalz, or plug into USB Mode
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Use my homebrew app, Internalz, or plug into USB Mode
    So, it can't (yet) be done on the phone, unless you go through the steps of installing HB apps.

I might personally do this, but again, I don't see my wife, or most casual users doing it. I suppose those same users, it might also be said, won't really need to manipulate files on the device, but I am frustrated by the lack of app catalogue options. :-(

Internalz is a great file manager for webOS.
    I am frustrated by the lack of app catalogue options. :-(
    +1
  8.    #48  
    So, here are some of the great FREE games I've found so far for Pre:

- Angry Birds (amusing)
    - Dead Runner (not much to this, but I love Halloween, so it can be enjoyable for a little while)
    - Glow Hockey Free (I LOVE air hockey!)
    - Cosmic Nitro (Sheer awesome)
    - Acient Pon (Not really a game, but kind of soothing)

So, here's a questions... on Android before you install an app, the marketplace shows you which "permissions" the app wants you to allow. This tells you want parts of the phone it will access, for example, whether the app will be able to read/write from the microSD card, or whether it will have permission to access the phone dialer, or SMS, etc.

In the App Catalogue I don't see that. So, how do you know Devs aren't slipping in code to access info on your phone and send it back to them, like your contacts, or usage, or phone info, GPS info, etc? Obviously I'm not saying "all devs are bad", what I am saying is, there are bad people, and some of them are devs.

How is security achieved on the Pre?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123