Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    @blue duck: thanks for the list. I'm going to look them up. :-)
    fors sure, there are others and I'll try to find the names of the ones I didn't know. I'll try to do it if I have time tonight.
    oh, the barcode thing is called QR deCODEr. There is also a wifi media sync app but I think it is $5. I highly recommend Mode Switcher. A quick search in the forums will give you some ideas on settings for it. I one profile on it that turns wifi on when I get home, lowers the ringtone volume and dims the screen when I put it on the touchstone and silences the ringer and changes the wallpaper when I get to work.
  4.    #24  
    @blue duck butter:

Okay, did a search in the app catalogue for Internalz, and all that came up was "Multiple App Launcher (MAL)" by Science Apps for $1.99.

Searched for "Mode Switcher" and couldn't find it.

Paintr Lite I found and installed.

Search for "Terminal" failed.

Search for "zCorder" returned no apps at all, not even incorrect ones.

I found and installed "QR deCODEr", but this only scans QR codes, it doesn't do product bar codes, so only a "half-success" there.

So, 2 out of 6.

With Android, we can scan a QR code to have the Android Marketplace open and display the app in question. Can we do that with WebOS? It makes it easier to find apps people suggest, in case you are typing them in wrong.

In each case above I searched "IN ALL CATEGORIES" in the category drop-down list, since I don't know which categories these apps should be in.

What about what seem to me to be basic apps like Twitter? Is there a free Twitter app?

Is it possible I can't see these apps because I'm in Canada? That would be pretty dumb if the apps available to Canadians are restricted even further than by OS version!
    Quote Originally Posted by mjschmidt View Post
    Okay, did a search in the app catalogue for Internalz, and all that came up was "Multiple App Launcher (MAL)" by Science Apps for $1.99.
    Internalz is a homebrew app. And currently doesn't work in webOS 2.x due to Palm's NDA preventing public homebrew release

Mode Switcher, Terminal, and zcorder are also homebrew apps, thus not on the App Catalog.

Oh, and yes, there is geofiltering on apps. Though Canada isn't as bad and other non-USA countries in terms of app selection.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    What about what seem to me to be basic apps like Twitter? Is there a free Twitter app?
    Spaz is a free Twitter app.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Internalz is a homebrew app. And currently doesn't work in webOS 2.x due to Palm's NDA preventing public homebrew release

Mode Switcher, Terminal, and zcorder are also homebrew apps, thus not on the App Catalog.
    Maybe someone could break that down just a little more. So if it's a homebrew app, you can get it only through Preware, which is an app/portal/something? downloaded from www.precentral.net, is that right?

Does the Preware catalog have all the same apps as the App Catalog in addition to the homebrew apps, or are they two separate catalogs?

I've been wondering this. Just never got around to asking it. Thanks for any info!
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    Maybe someone could break that down just a little more. So if it's a homebrew app, you can get it only through Preware, which is an app/portal/something? downloaded from www.precentral.net, is that right?

Does the Preware catalog have all the same apps as the App Catalog in addition to the homebrew apps, or are they two separate catalogs?

I've been wondering this. Just never got around to asking it. Thanks for any info!
    You've got the right concept, but you use webOS QI to install Preware, from webOS Internals.

And yes, it's pretty much an integrated catalog, as long as you turn on the catalog feeds.

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I was just running back to edit my post and you brought up exactly what I wanted to add.

Can you explain what the difference is between feeds and categories and why we need them? Why does everyone say "in such-and-such feed" when recommending an app instead of just saying "find this app in Preware"?
    I was just running back to edit my post and you brought up exactly what I wanted to add.

Can you explain what the difference is between feeds and categories and why we need them? Why does everyone say "in such-and-such feed" when recommending an app instead of just saying "find this app in Preware"?
    There are different feeds for different things. Like themes, testing kernels and etc. Some are already in Preware, but off by default.

For instance if you want themes, you have to turn on the feeds that have them.

Beta software and testing kernels are in custom feeds that you have to add manually.

Once you do, a general Preware search will find them, however it's usually good to say what feed something is in, in case someone doesn't have it on, so they aren't searching futilely.

And categories covers the various types of things in Preware, such as patches, themes and etc.

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    That is exactly it. Also note that many of the "free" apps are ad supported. Often you can pay 99 cents to upgrade to have the ads removed. Another typical "free" app on the other platforms is a reduced feature set version like TapaTalk with a TapaTalk Pro for 99 cents.
    2.99, not 0.99
    Newness Developments apps:

With Android, we can scan a QR code to have the Android Marketplace open and display the app in question. Can we do that with WebOS? It makes it easier to find apps people suggest, in case you are typing them in wrong.
    Try to tap this link directly from your webOS device, and try to do it from your desktop.
    Newness Developments apps:

not sure if it's been said before but to comment on the OP's comment that they don't see a point in recommending a device that has a higher cost of ownership:

The strength of webOS isn't in the quantity of apps but of overall implementation of the "whole experience." That's why you will find many of us are loyal to webOS; there's no other experience that comes close to touching it.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    not sure if it's been said before but to comment on the OP's comment that they don't see a point in recommending a device that has a higher cost of ownership:

The strength of webOS isn't in the quantity of apps but of overall implementation of the "whole experience." That's why you will find many of us are loyal to webOS; there's no other experience that comes close to touching it.
    @Neville: we're starting to get into "******" territory now. ;-) I don't want to have that sort of subjective argument, that wasn't the point of the thread. I hate when apple ******* do it, and I don't want to come across that way myself.

I've been using the Pre 2 for 4 days now, and i LOVE this phone. The hardware is amazing, and the webOS UI is excellent. I don't know what the new Android phone UI will look like (once they incorporate Honeycomb) but until then, WebOS puts the Android UI to shame.

However, for many people it _will_ be about the apps they can get to use on their phone, and as I mentioned with my long list back on page one, I'm not talking about lots of crappy apps, I'm talking about really important and useful stuff.

So, i don't disagree that the Pre 2 is a great phone, and i can understand why people are loyal to it, but if I have to recommend to someone whether to go Pre or Android right now, I can't honestly recommend the Pre because of that unfortunate lack of apps.

Even if the Pre market grew to rival the Android market, if the free/paid ratio remained the same Pre might still lose out because they are competing against quality apps that can be had at no cost. Again, I'm not slagging Pre, it is a reality in a free-market economy system.

Now as for the free apps I'm looking for on the pre, I spent some time last night going through all the categories in the App Catalogue and found the following (I haven't had a chance to really try all of them yet). These apps are all FREE for Pre 2.

QR deCODEr (Android Equiv = Barcode Scanner [and lots of others]) - Unfortunately this app only scans QR codes, it won't scan product bar codes. It was the only free QR code scanner I could find. I found a free barcode scanner app, but it only had 1 star.

Wapedia (Android Equiv = Wapedia) This is the same as the Android version. yay!

Stopwatch and Stop Watch (Android Equiv = Various) I found two of these. haven't had a chance to try them yet. They were both highly rated.

LCARS (Android Equiv = Tricorder) This app is a launcher for Pre that looks like the ST:TNG LCARS computer system. The Android App Tricorder is not an app launcher, but looks like a ST:TNG tricorder and takes actual readings. Not the same app, but both Star Trek themed.

Tasks (Android Equiv = Astrid + others) This is the default Task list app that comes preloaded (no pun intended). Yeah, makes task lists, but that's it. Astrid on Android has all sorts of functions including alarms, and it syncs both with your calendar and a free Remember The Milk account... for Free.

Memos, Jotter, Sorting Thoughts, Outline Tracker (Android Equiv = NoteEverything + others) None of these free note-taking apps seem to have the power of NoteEverything or some of the other free Android notetaking apps. I know Evernote is available for Pre, but Evernote doesn't have true offline note access, so I don't use it on Android either.

Convert (Android Equiv = Convertpad). Perfectly good app. No complaints.

pReader (Android Equiv = Aldiko) Free ebook reader. Haven't tried it yet.

Flixster (Android Equiv = Flixster) Same app.

Ted (Android Equiv = Ted) Same app.

Paintr Lite (Android Equiv = Sketcher) Haven't tried it yet.

Spaz (Android Equiv = Seesmic + MANY others) haven't tried it yet.

Facebook (Android Equiv = Facebook) Same app I think.

Mobile Hotspot (Android Equiv = part of OS in Android 2.2+) Haven't tried yet.

GoAruna + ZumoDrive(Android Equiv = DropBox) of course, since I already have a DropBox account, don't want to have to use another file syncing app/company.

So I was able to find _some_ of what I need for free, but the options were extremely limited.

I also see people talking about HomeBrew apps, and someone mentioned issues with some HB apps and WebOS 2.0. Regardless, if the Pre wants to compete, it will need to be used by people who won't want the hassle of trying to install HB apps. They will want to go into the App Catalogue and press a button to get it easily.

It's hard enough for my wife to get around any smartphone, I don't think she'd even consider side-loading HB apps.

Again, I'm not trying to convince anyone that the Pre is bad, I really really love this phone, I just think it's detrimental to the platform that the selection of FREE apps is so limited when competing against the other platforms.
    download webOS Quick Install (version 4.0, I think. Search for it in the forums). Use webOS Quick Install Preware and one you have preware, you can search for other free apps, patches and themes to customize your phone.
    wow, typos galore while I'm taking a dump, typing on my Pre. But, ya, install preware through webOS QI and enjoy!
    srsly, TMI dude. :P
    srsly, TMI dude. :P
    +1,745,237.76

Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    +1,745,237.76

+1
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast