Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Just curious to see what others are thinking for medical app development on WebOS, especially Palmdoc of course!

I am just trying (again) to learn development on WebOS to do some medical app stuff, and RVing/photography app(s) perhaps. From what I have read, it seems that Enyo will be mostly JavaScript, if I understand right. On the other hand, WebOS 2.x and 3.x should run "legacy" WebOS 1.4.5 code, too (hopefully without the dreaded specter of Classic and being obsolesced with next major version change).

To me it seems like Ares code should run pretty well in all the environments, and for relatively independent apps such as medical calculators or lists, not being integrated with Synergy is not too big a loss, yet.

Furthermore, since the old PalmOS, there has not been a Desktop version of medical apps like PregTrak and PatientKeeper. With WebOS going to desktops, too, there is the potential for 1 app, 3 platforms, same dataset sync'd to all.

Looking forward to the future, therefore I am pretty excited with WebOS 2.x and 3.x, for medical development. HP is developing with a focus on being Enterprise-security ready. Hopefully that means on-device encryption, which then meets HIPAA patient privacy standards.

I can envision using OB TrackerPlus (c'mon SiratoXero, you know you'd love to be famous and rich from the halls of medicine, not just working on MetaDoctor scripts and soldering... I hope!) and tapping my Pre3 to my Touchpad and/or NEW WebOS Touch-to-Share laptop to Sync my OB list, or hospice/Nursing home/complex patient list, etc. All encrypted, HIPAA compliant, and without putting the lists out to the Internet. This kind of ability is light years away from what iOS or AndrOS or RIM can do, and probably within a year of being doable for WebOS.

Is anybody else out there getting excited, yet?!
    I hope Citrix kinda hops in... Can do my hospital rounds on a touchpad...

sad that the only company that is making headway into medical apps on a tablet is... The iPad...

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    iOS has the most medical apps and Androids is a close 2nd. The sad thing, HP has multiple equipment in hospitals and medical field. Apps such as Epocrates dropping support of webOS has most medical professionals jumping ship to iOS and Android. Sadly, as much I love webOS UI, I will have to jump ship and due to the plethora medical related software on iOS phones and tablet...I will most likely have to go to iOS. For the past year, I have been trying to get by using a webOS phone and an iPad. Hopefully, HP will get Enyo, webOS 2.x and 3.x, Touchpad all worked out and by next year, I would to love to embrace webOS fully as my work and personal devices.
    Citrix receiver is coming to webOS 3.0 from what I gather.
    Enyo is coming from Ares and eventually Ares will be updated to support Enyo, so I think anyone thinking of starting medical app development can get his or her feet wet using Ares first as it is easier.
    If one is proficient in coding then you could join the developer private forums to get a taste of Enyo.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I hope Citrix kinda hops in... Can do my hospital rounds on a touchpad...

sad that the only company that is making headway into medical apps on a tablet is... The iPad...

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Citrix would be huge. Then I could be checking lab results, phone calls, etc, with a nice light tablet on my lap at noc on the couch with my wife, not a hot laptop.

Our system uses Epic, with Citrix for the off-site access. There is already an iPhone app for pts to access MyChart, so it seems that more could be built in, if a Citrix server would get up and running. I know at one time Citrix was rumored to have mentioned WebOS in 2009, but that rumor seems to have quietly died out...

It might not run on phones, but a dual-core tablet could probably run it. As always, HP seems to have been looking to the future and big business, and thanks to Palmdoc for the scoop.

How about others here? What are you on? Would you use a tablet to access your EMR via Citrix?
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewl 700p View Post
    iOS has the most medical apps and Androids is a close 2nd. The sad thing, HP has multiple equipment in hospitals and medical field. Apps such as Epocrates dropping support of webOS has most medical professionals jumping ship to iOS and Android. Sadly, as much I love webOS UI, I will have to jump ship and due to the plethora medical related software on iOS phones and tablet...I will most likely have to go to iOS. For the past year, I have been trying to get by using a webOS phone and an iPad. Hopefully, HP will get Enyo, webOS 2.x and 3.x, Touchpad all worked out and by next year, I would to love to embrace webOS fully as my work and personal devices.
    To Kewl, and others looking at the Epocrate-less WebOS,

Having been in Android land for the last 4 months, quantity is definitely not quality!

That being said, having Epocrates and Skyscape and other major reference companies there was nice. Fortunately, I am beginning to appreciate the depth of LexiComp more, though not the longer searching for nuggets in the drug monographs, lol! (and I sure wish I had noticed that 5MCC was in Lexi, as now I have wasted money with Skyscape on Android) Also, Epocrate's formulary information ain't what it used to be! I hate doing prior auths when Epocrates says it is a covered med, and that was happening up to half the time, lately. (To be fair, the accuracy of the formulary coverage in Epic is laughable, too).

While iOS apps are probably more mature, I found that Android had decent medical calculator apps, but you had to be wary of ones that produced wrong results.

The OB tracker on Android was capable of keeping a list only, and more recently, a free-text field. However, it did not seem built to be a list for doctors, but started out as a EDD calculator that had a list added on to it. So the default view was still the calculator, not the list of women with their dates. Minor but annoying, and not anything like PregTrak on PalmOS or even the alpha of OB Tracker on WebOS.

In general, most of the Android medical apps use black field with light text for the interface. Ah the good old days of TRS-80 computing! Of course, that is also the Android system (Prefs, etc) interface, so should be expected.

I don't know much about iOS medical apps except that our clinic PA who is a CDE/RD, too, uses some pretty slick apps with pts for carb-calculation and insulin dose calculation. Nothing like that at all on Android, just some basic blood glucose and carb-counting apps, but lots of them!

I think the potential for higher-quality apps in the WebOS, and iOS, platforms separates them from the 95000 Android girly-pic apps, and relatively sparse solid medically-designed apps other than references in ANdroid, so that their is a better chance that the app you find is one you want to use, and works well for physicians or NP/PA, etc.

Basically the difference between a microbrew beer and a Bud Light... you get what you pay for! (That, and my Samsung Epic worked worse than the Pre ever did for Bluetooth and GPS, which is common to the Galaxy S phones, apparently. A few pitchers of Bud, anyone?)
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    So Citrix has their WebOS on...! Great news for those of us using Epic via Citrix.
    I have a HTC Desire Android 2.2 phone. I kinda agree with BBooDoc. there are plenty of Andoird apps but quality ones are truly lacking. If one wants good medical apps in the interim period, iOS has more, and seriously, investing in a cheap iPod Touch is not a bad idea if an iPhone is not appealing.
    I think Enyo will catch on. It will take time but the potential is huge for developers.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    We might be interested in making such an app if there's someone here who knows the business side of it.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Http://www.digikatsoftware.com
    I think its a great place to go in with a medical app. The medical field is pretty sparse on webOS which opens up great possibilities. My biggest regret is not making time to finish my ideas like the OB Tracker app (You're doing a great job BBooDoc!). I also had two or three more ideas that have since withered away into unknown folders on my computer. I REALLY like the potential that webOS has. I've been trying to keep my Gray's Anatomy app (MediPedia) alive. Hopefully its Touchpad version will work better than the current one, and it'll make some heads turn.

I really think there's a lot of potential here, and would LOVE to be part of it, if I only had the time. I'm VERY impressed and humbled by PalmDoc's efforts, as well as yours BBooDoc.

You guys are a constant source of inspiration!
    I really am going to have a go and the motivation will cone when my Touchpad arrives
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    I really am going to have a go and the motivation will cone when my Touchpad arrives
    I think I have spent too much time on my Touchpad since I got it, not enough coding!
    Quote Originally Posted by BBooDoc View Post
    I think I have spent too much time on my Touchpad since I got it, not enough coding!
    Haha, I suspect the same thing will happen to me initially but I really want a real device to see how my current apps perform on the Touchpad, and also to learn Enyo coding.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Haha, I suspect the same thing will happen to me initially but I really want a real device to see how my current apps perform on the Touchpad, and also to learn Enyo coding.
    Still interested in Enyo coding?! I think I will give up on further webOS development, unfortunately. Time to look at iPads/phones, although I would really like a 7" tab that could fit in my white coat pocket at the hospital and clinic.
    We will still do some webOS stuff but we are moving to Android
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Http://www.digikatsoftware.com
    phonegap looks interesting - I got it running in the mojo emulator already. HTML and javascript is what we do best. Who knows I might resurrect "medformula", a calculator I wrote for palm os, which I never got around to porting for webOS. I want/need a multiplatform soln anyway.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    I'd look forward to seeing it. But I have serious questions about the viability of webOS now that HP has dropped out of consumer hardware.
    While phonegap is interesting I still prefer a drag and drop UI developing tool. Nsbapp studio fits my bill and apps created can be ported to phone gap. Only drawback is it is not free but $99 - worth it IMO
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    I have to admit I am holding out for Ares 2, as it doesn't involve learning another OS. Will do the ABG app, and if I don't end up doing the hospitalist job, then finish the OB app. If nothing else, I will learn enough to be able to do a better job porting to another platform when app-envy overcomes me. (Unless the iPhone5 is so killer I get it instead...)