Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I plain and simply can not use Pandora to work out. The delay between song switches paired with poor service in buildings always sends me back to media on my device.

Problems with streaming music

1.Initialization Time
    When all hoped up getting ready to work out the delay is almost unbarable while music buffers.

2. Song Switching
    Same thing as 1.

3. Cell Coverage
    No coverage no music. Spoty coverage spoty music.

4. Sound Quality
    Pretty sure the music is compressed so it does not sound as good. Not that big of a deal with wired headphones, but when you pair it with bluetooth head phones it starts to add up.

The only solution I can think of is local media paired with streaming.

1. Favorites list
    Have a revolving selection of favorites that have the first 20 second of their song stored locally on your device in a propitiatory file type for security. When fist opening the app a favorite song will play so that you can go straight into the song while it buffers. Same goes with switching songs. Pandora can throw some curve balls to you that just need to be skipped. When one skips they go to a favorite song instantly instead of having to buffer.

Favorites can either be chosen through an online web portal, the app, or defaulted to a top 20 list chosen by generic genre. If you chose the top 20 option your locally stored songs will be updated at an interval that you determine (like dr podder).

2. No Connection
    Sometimes you plain and simply do not have service. For these times the app can default to the music that you have stored locally in a predefined folder or to 3 or so songs(I am sure this number would be decided in negotiations with content providers) stored locally in the propitiatory format. These songs could be updated the same way as the favorites list.

Thats what I got. Streaming is just not mature enough right now for me. The bandwidth is just not great enough to provide my desired results. I believe that a combination between streaming and local media is the answer for now. As bandwidth is increased this may not be the case, but for today I really wish someone would implement this solution.
    I have to agree with you on a lot of this. I think bandwith is a big problem. Here's to hoping someone out there is working on the breakthrough of all this. Cloud-based media streaming?

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    I listen to Pandora all the time in the gym and don't have delays.
    Even if I manually change a song, it starts playing within 3 seconds.
    Strange.
  4.    #4  
    my gym is in a monster building so reception is not the greatest, and on top of that I am usually all hopped up and even 5 to 10 seconds seems unbareable. (I have never had pandora switch in 3 seconds)
    I use Pandora a lot when I drive and the start up delay is only a few seconds and the same when I change songs. Where I live (SoCal) my cell reception is not an issue. My only issue with it is the compressed music, while it is not high fidelity, it is fine for driving and exercising.
    With Grooveshark for Android you can save songs for offline play. Hopefully Webos's version will get an update to that soon.

In atlanta I never has issues streaming, almost everywhere else I do...

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I use Pandora a lot when I drive and the start up delay is only a few seconds and the same when I change songs. Where I live (SoCal) my cell reception is not an issue. My only issue with it is the compressed music, while it is not high fidelity, it is fine for driving and exercising.
    Only thing that can fix the quality is bandwidth I think and that is sad. With headphones and the aux jack in my car its fine, but I picked up a pair of s10's a while ago and the sound is just about miserable.(I am pretty sure its mostly the s10's fault, but their range is way better than the s9 and s9 hds. I hate cords. I am hoping the s10 hds come out soon!!!). As to the argument "its only a few seconds thats fine" if that worked we would still be riding horses and watching vhs tapes. I live in Fort Lauderdale so reception is not really an issue for me I am just picky.
    Yeah, OCD people should stay clear of Pandora, for most everyone else a few seconds is not an issue.
  9.    #9  
    My wife wishes I had OCD, but if you feel like labeling me with a mental illness you should prob pick the right one. ADD fits the symptoms much better.
    Most of those issues rest on the developers to improve, but for some there are technical problems that prevent implementation. For example, your favorites suggestion is difficult to implement currently because each audio object can buffer only one file at a time. You can have two audio objects, but you most likely won't have seamless playback between the first 20 seconds and the rest of the song.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    . You can have two audio objects, but you most likely won't have seamless playback between the first 20 seconds and the rest of the song.

So your saying that they would not match up. The only thing I can think of to fix that is to overestimate the file size on the device and have a set point.

Example

If you think that a file will be buffered in 15 seconds (guess) have 30 seconds of file stored locally, and have a set transition point (even if the file is completely buffered in 15 seconds the songs will not transition until the 30 second mark). Something tells me this is exponentially harder to accomplish than it is for me to describe but its fun to make stuff up!
    Last edited by Titan078; 02/21/2011 at 06:02 PM.
    I've had zero issues in the ~4 months of service I've had with Rdio [http://www.rdio.com].
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I've had zero issues in the ~4 months of service I've had with Rdio [Rdio].
    Ill give it a go if they jump on the HP train or if I jump off.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I just wish Slacker would update to 2.X so we could get caching. They have that for Android and it updated its cache overnight on wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    I listen to Pandora all the time in the gym and don't have delays.
    Even if I manually change a song, it starts playing within 3 seconds.
    Strange.
    This ^^. I hit the gym 2x a week and use Pandora twice a day for 1hr+ 5 days a week and have never experienced any issues unless I drive through a SDZ* and the playback stalls. Then just close and reopen to resolve.

*Sprint dead zone
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    This ^^. I hit the gym 2x a week and use Pandora twice a day for 1hr+ 5 days a week and have never experienced any issues unless I drive through a SDZ* and the playback stalls. Then just close and reopen to resolve.

*Sprint dead zone
    When i use Pandora i just find my self looking at the phone to often. Especially when I would get two weird songs in a row. Music remix is pretty slick so I do not know if I will move back to streaming for working out, but if I were a developer, and had a clue of how to accomplish these goals this is how I would attack it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    So your saying that they would not match up. The only thing I can think of to fix that is to overestimate the file size on the device and have a set point.
    Actually I don't think it would be too difficult. The hardest part would be keeping track of which audio object to play at any given time. The problem is that if you want seamless transitions between the cached version and the streaming version, you would need to check the time of the song very often, using javascript timeouts/intervals. To have shorter intervals, you need to use more CPU.

At least that's how I see it. I did remember reading about one of the new audio apps in the homebrew forum that would allow for truly gapless playback (albeit for your mp3s and not for streams). I wonder how they do it.

I tried Pandora, but I found it a bit restricted in music choices. Now I use Spotify, and it works really well - good choice of music, reasonable price, reliable streaming. Hopefully it will be available overseas soon, as I think it's just UK/Europe at present.
    The thing about Spotify is that they need to get their app working on the Pre 2, and it looks like that is not happening anytime soon.

20.    #20  
    "According to that slide, the TouchPad will come with a music syncing solution built-in that utilizes cloud servers to sync and remotely store your music. More than that, it will leverage a “smart algorithm” to ensure that the music the user is most likely to listen to is cached locally on the device."

Thanks for listening HP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast