Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Well, did somebody tried imo.im? They used to have flash based online skype calling (videochat too).
    Quote Originally Posted by tr47 View Post
    Well, did somebody tried imo.im? They used to have flash based online skype calling (videochat too).
    Just tried it and it is not working on my Pre- with flash installed.
    You can login and initiate as well as receive calls,
    but that is as far as it gets.
    There is no audio or video being received on both ends.
    I dont know what I was thinking Camera and mic isnt probably accessible in webOS flash. And it doesnt even matter if even audio from other side isnt played
    meh, we just recieved OCS on 2.1 and there is skype IM alias option in contacs, so in another year we should have skype synergized chat working don't you think
    I guess skype will work in coming months
    I haven't done any serious sw-developing for about 10 years now and I don't want to tell you that I still understand alot of it (10yrs are a hell of a time in sw-engineering), but one question still bugs me:
    There is a linux-version of skype, isn't there? It has some software reqs though.
    I would see two possible ways to get Skype natively to WebOS.
    1) Adapt the Linux executable to work with the WebOS-Linux or
    2) Adapt/create the prereq software for WebOS,so that the existing Linux executable can be used.

Am I too naive in my approach?
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    sorry, somehow double posted this
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    I haven't done any serious sw-developing for about 10 years now and I don't want to tell you that I still understand alot of it (10yrs are a hell of a time in sw-engineering), but one question still bugs me:
    There is a linux-version of skype, isn't there? It has some software reqs though.
    I would see two possible ways to get Skype natively to WebOS.
    1) Adapt the Linux executable to work with the WebOS-Linux or
    2) Adapt/create the prereq software for WebOS,so that the existing Linux executable can be used.

Am I too naive in my approach?
    Different architecture, Skype is for linux on i386, we have ARM. If somehow you could emulate an intel processor on your Pre (Qemu anyone?), and install X, and the gtk libraries (I think), you "could" run skype.. Hehehe... But I don't see that happening soon.
    Oh! So there is no possbility to take Skype for Linux and compile it for another Linux? Darn, that's bad ...
    I still dont get policy of that company. Why skype is closed? To not get more users?
    Quote Originally Posted by nigallin View Post
    ****Disclaimer: I'm not a webos developer, this is guesswork****

Looks like skyped (/usr/bin/skyped) is a pre-compiled binary that we can't touch and the so called skype app (/usr/palm/applications/com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory) is mostly just an assistant. In this directory there is a .jsjsjs $file$ (./$app$/$assistants$/$account$-$signin$-$assistant$.$js$) $that$ $calls$ $a$ &$quot$;$validate$&$quot$; $function$ $on$ $line$ $41$, $but$ $I$ $haven$'$t$ $been$ $able$ $to$ $find$ $this$ $anywhere$. $I$ $think$ $it$ $is$ $either$ $part$ $of$ $skyped$, $or$ $part$ $of$ $the$ $parent$ &$quot$;$Accounts$&$quot$; $application$ $new$ $in$ $2$.$x$. $It$ $might$ $be$ $possible$ $to$ $hard$-$code$ $a$ $return$ $value$ $if$ $we$ $know$ $what$ $it$ $is$ $supposed$ $to$ $return$. $Anyone$ $with$ $more$ $knowledge$ $regarding$ $the$ $underpinnings$ $of$ $webos$ $have$ $any$ $insight$?
    You are correct. In my case it won't allow me to login saying that it can't while the Phone is roaming. Looking further into this I found the assistant (GUI) tries to login in and waits for a response from skyped in my case it gets sent:

LOGIN_FAILED_NETWORK_ERROR_ROAMING:

For which the assistant then displays the roaming error. Look into the binary I can see where it has something to do with skypelib. Being Skype is not open source that's the furthest I can get. It seems there's something network Specific and that the binary was built just for Verizon. If someone can find what it's looking for maybe a work around can be done, or maybe if skype would just release a generic build all would be well. (for that matter open their application)
    just wanted to check whether anyone has found a way to install skype on gsm pre2, i really need it
    yeah, anyone manage to install the skype app from App Catalog on a Pre2?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123