Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ^I'm not clever enough to fully understand the implications of that (@webosinternals tweet) but it would still be great for those not on VZ (I'm in the UK) to get Skype contacts and IM working even without any voice.
    Can anyone who has a Pre2 from Verizon confirm the use of Skype for VoIP? How do you configure in your Skype account? How do you configure the skype addresses of your contacts?
    Just installed on my Pre2 (carrier: O2 UK) the two ipk files extracted from Verizon's doctor (skyped_1.0-27.5_armv7.ipk and com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory_1.0-12_armv7.ipk) and now in the Phone's preferences I can chose if I want to use Carrier or Skype Mobile or both for international calls. And there is another new option: Accounts. (the only account I can see here is Palm Profile). If I press 'Add Account' I am offered to add a Skype Mobile account or Sign into an existing account, but neither of these options work (it fails to login to an existing account and to create a new account).

Any ideas ?
    Last edited by kbywal; 02/18/2011 at 05:38 PM.
    can you put Ur phone in roam only? Ops that would only work for sprint. Sorry
    I've tried logging in with and without roaming enabled - no dice. Same story if you try logging in over wifi only - it complains there's no cellular signal in this case. So it does very much look like the Skype service being used is specifically checking for conditions before proceeding.

I'd be very curious to know if Verizon customers can use Skype while roaming as it very much looks like it's checking for a specific network before allowing anything through.
    I am sure the great folks at webos internals are working on this. Is there another thread to follow their progress on making skype work?
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Alright, I think I'll screw my 2.x installation. I've installed the packages but when I try to add an account I get a LunaSysMgr log:
    com.palm.app.phone: Failed watching skype account status, error:{"errorCode":-3970,"errorText":"kind not registered:'com.palm.imloginstate.skype:1","returnValue":false},palmInitFramework297:14

I'll start copying files over, but I think I have to somehow register the skype type somewhere or somehow

mmm.. nevermind, a complete reboot fixed it.
    Last edited by NuttyBunny; 02/18/2011 at 12:16 PM.
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Well, this isn't to end well...

2011-02-18T18:29:11.268707Z [1208] palm-webos user.notice LunaSysMgr: {LunaSysMgrJS}: com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory: Signing into account, palmInitFramework297:14
    2011-02-18T18:29:24.747100Z [1222] palm-webos user.err skyped: {skyped}: Time: 12:29:24.745 Received CHUNK_ERROR: 24 Invalid device PSTN number.
    2011-02-18T18:29:24.883483Z [1222] palm-webos user.crit LunaSysMgr: {LunaSysMgrJS}: com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory: !Error {"returnValue":false,"errorCode":"LOGIN_FAILED_UNKNOWN","errorText":"unknown error"}, palmInitFramework297:14

I think skyped is checking something in the PSTN number... I don't know if verizon assigns you a Skype-In number and this is it, or it's talking about the mobile phone number, which, by the way, is not reported correctly on GSM devices...

Bah, we'll have to look with more detail into it

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    yeah, i've run into the same problems. It seems it is checking what carrier you are using. But if there's a way to get it to not perform the roaming check, we may be able to get around it. I've been playing with this myself for a while, just found this thread. I had installed it via novaterm using ipkg. I had it installed on sprint 2.0.1 beta and on a non-verizon pre2 with the same results. the "app" runs, but won't allow signing in. Interestingly enough, all options for adding an account via messaging, and the contacts integration are all there.... but useless if we can't sign into the service.
    I don't think this will install on anything below 2.0 btw because it's using ls2 which 1.4.5 doesn't have.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    There's something going on here besides a simple roaming check. I am on a Verizon Pre Plus running 2.1.0 and I get the same "Can't signin while roaming" error. Clearly I am not roaming. I am activated and using data on the Verizon Wireless network. It must be checking the device type as well.
  12. nigallin
    Quote Originally Posted by tigrao View Post
    There's something going on here besides a simple roaming check. I am on a Verizon Pre Plus running 2.1.0 and I get the same "Can't signin while roaming" error. Clearly I am not roaming. I am activated and using data on the Verizon Wireless network. It must be checking the device type as well.
    Same for me. Verizon Pre Plus -> 2.1.0 -> "Can't signin while roaming." Is there a way to spoof the hardware id to be "Pre 2"? It will be ridiculous if verizon has crippled skype to not work through wifi.

Edit: Terms and Conditions: no skype on wifi.
    Hope this gets rectified.
    Last edited by nigallin; 02/26/2011 at 06:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nigallin View Post
    Edit: Terms and Conditions: no skype on wifi.
    Hope this gets rectified.
    No, it won't, nobody has done a Skype application for webOS, it runs over Verizon's voice network and the calls are done from there, not from your phone, that's the reason of no wifi support, because your phone doesn't make the calls directly.

Sorry to burst the bubble (again and again), but that's the way it is.

14. nigallin
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    No, it won't, nobody has done a Skype application for webOS, it runs over Verizon's voice network and the calls are done from there, not from your phone, that's the reason of no wifi support, because your phone doesn't make the calls directly.

Sorry to burst the bubble (again and again), but that's the way it is.
    Sorry, should have read the whole thread first. Anyone out there gotten Skype mobile working on a Pre Plus (2.1.0) yet?
  15. SashoDikov
    soooo, anybody legit (read pre2 on vzw) has gotten skype to a testdrive and can report how it can runs, calls, chats ?

since the official 2.1 doctah from ze germans has the option to add a skype name in the contacts application i have a feeling it isn't just a leftover and we'll be getting at least the IM option one way or the other ;]
    Quote Originally Posted by SashoDikov View Post
    since the official 2.1 doctah from ze germans has the option to add a skype name in the contacts application i have a feeling it isn't just a leftover and we'll be getting at least the IM option one way or the other ;]
    bear in mind that there are many other options in the messenger option, some of which almost definitely will never be on webos.

don't get your hopes up.

however, i guess it could be possible through the "Messaging HP synergy services" part of the app store (pretty much messaging apps plugins) which is looking unfortunately barren :/

but a VOIP app seems even more unlikely until webos picks up a bit more pace, and is likely to be using enyo - a way for HP to promote it, and probably leave out legacy devices (and the pre 2 if HP really wants to annoy you.)
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tigrao View Post
    I don't think that Skype integration is finished yet, since I read someone else saying that it gave this same exact error on a VZW Pre+ with the leaked Pre+ 2.0.1 Verizon doctor.....
    Sent from my Etch-a-Sketch.

#staycoolmybabies
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    I don't think that Skype integration is finished yet, since I read someone else saying that it gave this same exact error on a VZW Pre+ with the leaked Pre+ 2.0.1 Verizon doctor.....
    Skype is working fine (audio only). The thing to keep in mind is that the Skype application isn't the same as Skype service. Skype on VZW is part of the phone app. All it is really doing is routing normal calls to a Skype gateway on the network edge. The conversation is a standard voice call for as much of the distance as possible. It isn't a VoIP app. Hopefully someone will come up with a real Skype app, or an app that can interface with the Skype system.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Skype is working fine (audio only). The thing to keep in mind is that the Skype application isn't the same as Skype service. Skype on VZW is part of the phone app. All it is really doing is routing normal calls to a Skype gateway on the network edge. The conversation is a standard voice call for as much of the distance as possible.
    I posted this very same explanation here last month, after using the Skype feature on a VZW Droid-X.

If it is working on your Pre, can you share the secret of how you got it to work? My attempts on the Pre+ have all resulted in the same "Can't signin while roaming" error as others here have posted, and I'm curious how to make it work.....
    Sent from my Etch-a-Sketch.

#staycoolmybabies
  20. nigallin
    ****Disclaimer: I'm not a webos developer, this is guesswork****

Looks like skyped (/usr/bin/skyped) is a pre-compiled binary that we can't touch and the so called skype app (/usr/palm/applications/com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory) is mostly just an assistant. In this directory there is a .jsjsjs $file$ (./$app$/$assistants$/$account$-$signin$-$assistant$.$js$) $that$ $calls$ $a$ &$quot$;$validate$&$quot$; $function$ $on$ $line$ $41$, $but$ $I$ $haven$'$t$ $been$ $able$ $to$ $find$ $this$ $anywhere$. $I$ $think$ $it$ $is$ $either$ $part$ $of$ $skyped$, $or$ $part$ $of$ $the$ $parent$ &$quot$;$Accounts$&$quot$; $application$ $new$ $in$ $2$.$x$. $It$ $might$ $be$ $possible$ $to$ $hard$-$code$ $a$ $return$ $value$ $if$ $we$ $know$ $what$ $it$ $is$ $supposed$ $to$ $return$. $Anyone$ $with$ $more$ $knowledge$ $regarding$ $the$ $underpinnings$ $of$ $webos$ $have$ $any$ $insight$?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast