Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 133
Like Tree5Likes
  1. #81  
    you guys saw the new netflix pricing beginning in sept, right? The mail service will be a separate subscription from the streaming.
  2. LinT's Avatar
    Posts
    303 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    #82  
    I saw that. I'll be canceling my netflix. (I hardly ever watch movies anyway)
  3. #83  
    Netflix's licensing costs are estimated to increase at least 10x over the next year. That's why the increase.

    Content providers are wising up.
  4. Ulairi's Avatar
    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    That's not the reason at all.

    Sent from my HTC Evo.
    It's part of the reason but the real reason is that Android is a janky fragmented mess of an operating system.
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Netflix's licensing costs are estimated to increase at least 10x over the next year. That's why the increase.

    Content providers are wising up.
    Yeah, but Netflix isn't increasing the cost of streaming, they're jacking up the DVD rate. This whole situation is a dance between the studios and online streaming content providers.

    As it stands right now, Netflix's streaming content is terrible. Trying to find a new or popular movie to "watch instantly" is pretty difficult. If studios want more money for online streaming, they're going to need to give up the content, IMHO.

    As it is right now, I think I'm going to cancel my Netflix.
  6. #86  
    I will probably go to the on line streaming option and see how that works out for a while. Wife and I seem fine with watching older titles, series, etc.
  7. ksom's Avatar
    Posts
    355 Posts
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    but windows 7 phone has a netflix app, why oh why oh why
    I agree. HP should just go to Netflix and say, 'we are writing a Netflix App, and we only require whatever permission from you. We will do all the work'. That's it. Make the resistant very low and do whatever it takes to get these key services onto TP.

    In my opinion, if TP dies, Pre 3 would be a much harder sell.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
  8. #88  
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  9. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #89  
    That's because google spent $150 million buying a DRM technology firm. Once you have a DRM solution certified by the Hollywood studios --- you can put netflix anywhere, in a Xoom or in a Chromebook.

    Google Buys Widevine - Eric Savitz - The Tech Trade - Forbes
  10. #90  
    Netflix instant streaming + Redbox is the way to go.
  11. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    I agree. HP should just go to Netflix and say, 'we are writing a Netflix App, and we only require whatever permission from you. We will do all the work'. That's it. Make the resistant very low and do whatever it takes to get these key services onto TP.

    In my opinion, if TP dies, Pre 3 would be a much harder sell.
    You do understand how hard it is to get the HD content from the hollywood studios.

    Texas Instruments just wrote their own Netflix HD app for the Android OS for the OMAP4 platform that was certified by Netflix. First TI has to license an operating system from Trusted Logic (a "secure kernel") that uses ARM Trustzone. Then TI has to PlayReady DRM from Microsft. Then TI wrote the netflix app by themselves. Then TI takes it to Netflix for certification.

    It works similar to the mobile payment setup in this video (just watch the first couple of minutes).



    (1) The phone was in Android OS first.
    (2) Press the authorize payment button, and the phone uses ARM's Trustzone hardware virtualization to switch to a second OS that is a "secure kernel".
    (3) In the "secure" world, everything is locked up (i.e. even if you install a keyboard sniffer in Android, the sniffer can't get any data from the keyboard).
    (4) You enter the PIN number in the "secure" world.
    (5) Payment is authorized.
    (6) The "secure kernel" uses ARM Trustzone to exit the hardware virtualization and you get back to the unsecure Android OS.

    Texas Instruments' Android Netflix App on the OMAP4 platform works like that.
  12. #92  
    Sign up for zediva.com... It's a buck per rental to stream and it's new movies. They get them before netflix even.
  13. #93  
    Netflix is in for a serious reality check.. IMO
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    That's because google spent $150 million buying a DRM technology firm. Once you have a DRM solution certified by the Hollywood studios --- you can put netflix anywhere, in a Xoom or in a Chromebook.

    Google Buys Widevine - Eric Savitz - The Tech Trade - Forbes
    Once it's html 5 tho, will it matter whether or not there is an app for it? I don't have a touchpad, but I thought it was html 5 compatible.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  15. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #95  
    Hollywood studios require DRM --- doesn't matter what OS, what technology, what device, what form factor.
  16. #96  
    This is why I am taking a wait a long time and see with anything webos at this point. I've been burned with "in the coming weeks/months" too many times. Hopefully HP will get a netflix app out soon.
  17. #97  
    No Netflix on TouchPad is disappointing
    I hope soon this will not be the case.
  18. #98  
    How many times can the same things be stated in one thread?

    The TouhcPad does not have Netflix; there are issues with DRM (which Android and iOS have been able to overcome) and you can't watch it in the browser because it uses Microsoft Silverlight which is not baked into any mobile platform except Windows Phone 7 (no surprise there).

    Hopefully HP will get the DRM problem worked out or someone can develop a silverlight plug-in for the browser. Until then, there is no direct access to Netflix. But there are other streaming services available through the web or through apps which allow you to stream video content (both paid and free).
    Last edited by clayclay350; 08/09/2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: typo
    I am, therefore I think
  19. #99  
    Meanwhile in Europe, absolutely not a single yawn is given over a movie-streaming platform only available in one country on the other side of the ocean.
  20. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    How many times can the same things be stated in one thread?

    The TouhcPad does not have Netflix; there are issues with DRM (which Android and iOS have been able to overcome) and you can't watch it in the browser because it uses Microsoft Silverlight which is not baked into any mobile platform except Windows Phone 7 (no surprise there).

    Hopefully HP will get the DRM problem worked out or someone can develop a silverlight plug-in for the browser. Until then, there is no direct access to Netflix. But there are other streaming services available through the web or through apps which allow you to stream video content (both paid and free).
    Yet, you attempting to restate it also give incorrect restatement.

    It is not the silverlight plug-in that is important, it is the Microsoft PlayReady DRM built inside silverlight that is important. A third party building a silverlight plug-in without Microsoft's PlayReady DRM would not do much anyway.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions