1.    #1  
    like the youtube google maps and photos notes etc bring more fuctionality make them nicer like android and iphone have done with there native apps
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 02/07/2011 at 09:44 AM.
    I agree. There is a lot of room left to innovate in the built in apps. Especially the PIM apps. Hopefully the new Enyo framework will lead to some development in that area.
    I really hope that HP/Palm didnt want to waste time in updating apps build with the mojo framework, and will update most with the faster enyo framework. If this is not the case, WebOS will have trouble catching on even more. Apps need to open quickly and provide more functionality. Im hoping really bad
    IDK about much of the stock apps, but that Enyo preview mentioned that one email app would work on both the phones and tablets, so I'd say they are looking at upgrading at least 1 app to the Enyo framework.
    Photos, music, and YouTube are just a mess as is. I would hope these are a major part of redoing the OS for the tablets.
    Just one word....

PDF!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by slydog43 View Post
    I really hope that HP/Palm didnt want to waste time in updating apps build with the mojo framework, and will update most with the faster enyo framework. If this is not the case, WebOS will have trouble catching on even more. Apps need to open quickly and provide more functionality. Im hoping really bad
    Faster Enyo? Has that been confirmed anywhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Faster Enyo? Has that been confirmed anywhere?
    When demoing the Enyo framework at Dev Day, they said that apps built in Mojo that take 6-8 seconds to open, will take 1 second or less in Enyo.

Something like that, I can't open the video from Dev Day to double check my numbers at work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oversteer325 View Post
    When demoing the Enyo framework at Dev Day, they said that apps built in Mojo that take 6-8 seconds to open, will take 1 second or less in Enyo.

Something like that, I can't open the video from Dev Day to double check my numbers at work.
    In addition to faster opening times, Enyo has hardware acceleration. Using the new email app as an example, all 3 scenes are rendered at once in ~300ms.

Edit: for reference, here is a link to the video...
    Last edited by sinime; 02/07/2011 at 11:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    In addition to faster opening times, Enyo has hardware acceleration. Using the new email app as an example, all 3 scenes are rendered at once in ~300ms.
    Sounds great, but these native apps need functionality overhauls - something I suspect has been done to make them more tablet friendly, but let's see itf it translates to the phone immediately as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Sounds great, but these native apps need functionality overhauls - something I suspect has been done to make them more tablet friendly, but let's see itf it translates to the phone immediately as well.
    Again, all I know is what was shown in the video, but one app that operates on a phone or tablet...

Phone:
    The new email app has a single scene view similar to the existing email app. You open an email account and a new scene pops up over the first showing all the email headers of the selected account. You select a header and a third scene pops up showing the email you selected.

Tablet:
    When expanded on a tablet, all three scenes are visible at the same time in three columns, first column is your email accounts, second is the email headers of the selected account and the third column shows the email of the selected email header.

Hope that makes sense for those who have not watched the video.

Not sure how this translates to any other stock apps.
    I use youtube a lot n hope they update it so I can atleast sign in to my account and favorite, subscribe, view subscriptions, comments, etc
    Well, at the very least the app catalog was updated for the Pre 2, and I'm assuming the same will go to the Pre/Pixi when 2.0 comes.

Also, I'm not so sure I buy their arguments that apps that take 6-8 seconds to load would take 1 second to load with Enyo. First, the Palm guidelines state that your app should take less than 3 seconds to load, or show cached content/loading feedback if it takes longer than 3 seconds. It should only take longer if the app requires data from a service, and then it should show a loading screen. Apps don't take 6-8 seconds to load if they're setting up a UI, because if they did I would hope the app catalog team notices and advises the developer to follow guidelines. Second, my lightweight apps always take less than one second to load, and I can tune performance for heavier apps so they take between one and two seconds to load.

As for hardware acceleration, I thought that was something they were enabling for CSS transitions in general, not just for Enyo apps. They did this for the launcher in the Pre 2, and I thought they were gonna do this for all apps without requiring developers to modify their apps.
  14.    #14  
    I'm hoping they introduce this in a couple of days! So we can download them in the marketplace even if we don't have 2.0 yet... Or something like they do on andriod...
    Overhauling the native apps would go a long way in insuring that the next generation of Palm devices are a success....hopefully thats the kinda stuff they have been working on all this time...
    I agree. Palm should update it much more if they want to 'keep moving forward' Those apps are going to be two years old soon.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)