Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Apple rejects Sony e-reader app; Is Kindle next? - Computerworld

Seriously, though, if they did this would Apple customers suddenly wake up to find their Kindle apps gone? All the more reason I'm glad I'm with Palm!

I don't think HP would give Amazon such grief over this if there were a Kindle app for webOS. Kobo sends you to the website to complete your purchases.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    Apple rejects Sony e-reader app; Is Kindle next? - Computerworld

Seriously, though, if they did this would Apple customers suddenly wake up to find their Kindle apps gone? All the more reason I'm glad I'm with Palm!

I don't think HP would give Amazon such grief over this if there were a Kindle app for webOS. Kobo sends you to the website to complete your purchases.

We already know the reason that the Sony app got rejected. It's because within the app, you were able to purchase books. Apple explicitly states that you can't have in-app purchases that don't run through iTunes. It's my understanding that Amazon works around this by opening a web browser through which you purchase books. In other words, it's highly unlikely that they'll just suddenly pull the Kindle app from the iPhone.

This is the first article I've seen that says otherwise, and while I don't want to say I don't believe it... we'll see.

Edit: Never mind, it looks like the articles I first read have since been updated with this new news, and I'm a little surprised, wow.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 02/01/2011 at 06:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Edit: Never mind, it looks like the articles I first read have since been updated with this new news, and I'm a little surprised, wow.
    What you are surprise that Apple wants to control all the $ that flows through their cosmos?

Why shouldn't Apple collect 33% for all their effort in creating that best seller by James Patterson?

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Why shouldn't Apple collect 33% for all their effort in creating that best seller by James Patterson?
    Maybe because is trying to use the control over plataform to monopoly the market...

If the M$ do this too, do you agree?

For example: Imagine if the M$ speak to Apple: "-From this moment, all app, music, movies, etc selled in ITunes for Windows gonna to pay 33% to me!" or could be worst: "-For each ITunes for Windows installed, you have to pay $ 0.99 to me, Apple!".

Something like this...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    would be surprised if kindle for webos was not announced feb 9
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    We already know the reason that the Sony app got rejected. It's because within the app, you were able to purchase books. Apple explicitly states that you can't have in-app purchases that don't run through iTunes. It's my understanding that Amazon works around this by opening a web browser through which you purchase books. In other words, it's highly unlikely that they'll just suddenly pull the Kindle app from the iPhone.

This is the first article I've seen that says otherwise, and while I don't want to say I don't believe it... we'll see.

Apple responds: we want a cut of Amazon, Sony e-book sales

Quote Originally Posted by Apple spokesperson Trudy Muller
    "We have not changed our developer terms or guidelines," Apple spokesperson Trudy Muller told Ars. "We are now requiring that if an app offers customers the ability to purchase books outside of the app, that the same option is also available to customers from within the app with in-app purchase."

Quote Originally Posted by ArsTechnica
    Apple's second statement indicates that this is indeed the case—sort of. If an app lets users access content that they purchased via Amazon's website, for example, then that same app must also let users buy the same book via Apple's own in-app purchase system. If the app developer doesn't want to use Apple's in-app purchases to sell content, then the app can't access content purchased elsewhere either.

This is notable because it will require Amazon and Barnes & Noble (as well as Sony, whose iOS app is not yet available) to change how their offerings work. Apple wants its 30 percent share of content sales whenever possible.

Amazon has already gone all-in with its "Buy Once, Read Everywhere" tagline, so it probably can't afford to back out of the iOS platform now. The alternative appears to be an user interface nightmare: re-structuring its sales mechanisms in order to allow customers to buy from both Amazon and Apple (a move that will chafe Amazon execs) or from Apple alone (even more chafing).
    so yeah amazon would need to change
    Last edited by sketch42; 02/02/2011 at 02:42 PM.
    On top of having a walled garden, now Apple wants to charge a toll anytime you want to import content into the garden.

Flippin' ridiculous...