Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Found a bug? Want a feature? Post here and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Please include steps to reproduce the bug if you are reporting a bug.
    Last edited by Arthur Thornton; 01/31/2011 at 04:25 PM.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Hi Arthur
    Just downloaded Voice Memos on my Pre 2. Unfortunately there is no sound at all when I try to play a memo file back. If I try to play it back on media player I get an error message: "There was an error playing back the file". I see one of the reviwers in the App catalogue had a similar problem. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGP View Post
    Hi Arthur
    Just downloaded Voice Memos on my Pre 2. Unfortunately there is no sound at all when I try to play a memo file back. If I try to play it back on media player I get an error message: "There was an error playing back the file". I see one of the reviwers in the App catalogue had a similar problem. Any ideas?
    Update:
    My Pre 2 was obviously feeling a bit off colour! It reset itself this morning and wiped all my apps which I had to restore but now everything seems fine and Voice Memo now works properly. Perhaps my Govnah settings were a bit too aggressive - running Palm default profile with UK now.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGP View Post
    Update:
    My Pre 2 was obviously feeling a bit off colour! It reset itself this morning and wiped all my apps which I had to restore but now everything seems fine and Voice Memo now works properly. Perhaps my Govnah settings were a bit too aggressive - running Palm default profile with UK now.
    Yes, there is some issue with webOS that causes trouble for audio recording apps. I'm glad to hear your issue was fixed, though I'm sorry to hear you had to lose all of your data.

Also, thank you for your purchase of Voice Memos.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    hi Arthur,
    if I try to play a recorded file, there pops up the message: "Error with audio file. If this is persistent, please contact support ..."
    I am running the app on a o2 Pre with webOS 2.1

Andreas
    Feature request: Record all inbound and outbound call audio.

Keep a buffer of calls. (user defined size, say 1GB)

If a call was important user can mark that call "do not delete" and maybe add a note into an id3 tag or something to describe why the call was important enough to keep.
    I am also getting the "Error with audio file. If this is persistent, please contact support ..." message.

Any idea on a fix?
    Palm Pre 2 on Sprint
    Works as expected on my German Meta-2.1.0-PreMinus. Nice recording quality. But I would like to have "Pause", "Rewind", "Fast Forward". Would make the app a lot more useful. Just as a regular voice recorder. Maybe with some key shortcuts.

Some ideas: Backspace as a pause toggle - back to record when in recording mode, back to play when in playing mode. Number keys as navigators: 6/G ("->") fast forward, 4/D ("<-") rewind. 2/R ("up") to the beginning of recording, 8/C ("down") to the end of recording. Makes sense, doesn't it?

To make this work in a useful way there should be a visualisation bar of the recording at the bottom of the screen. The space between the buttons "+" and "A/Z" should be sufficient IMHO.

Anyway, thanks for the work already done!

Regards

Carsten
    Nice app, I like it a lot.

Is it normal that the .wav files remain on the USB partition even after I delete the voice note in the app?
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Arthur, I recently moved from a Plus to a Unlocked EU GsM Pre 2 and installed Voice Memos. I too have the error message described above and in the reviews and I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't respond, since the "fixes" described were a Doctor, a spontaneous hard reset and a remove/reinstall. Your Support link in the app catalog brings you only to a knowledgebase/forum where it seems onl the Gamer Friends app is discussed.

I get the feeling this is indeed a webos 2.x bug, but some insight from the dev would be nice.

- don't know if I should remove/reinstall because of the permissions bug Rod tweeted about
    - don't really have the time to doctor now; I expect this with betas, not for purchased app
    - I can't even find the wav files in /media/internal/.VoiceMemosForWebOS. It's empty! (could this be the cause for playback error)

@maPhi It was stated in the app catalog description th at deleton of memos was not possible at this time as approval for this function must apparently come from Palm.

Sorry if my tone is a bit dickish....but users have taken the trouble to vent here instead of in the Reviews, and you haven't posted any help. :-( Perhaps sending mail is better. Doing so now....
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Arthur, I recently moved from a Plus to a Unlocked EU GsM Pre 2 and installed Voice Memos. I too have the error message described above and in the reviews and I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't respond, since the "fixes" described were a Doctor, a spontaneous hard reset and a remove/reinstall. Your Support link in the app catalog brings you only to a knowledgebase/forum where it seems onl the Gamer Friends app is discussed.

I get the feeling this is indeed a webos 2.x bug, but some insight from the dev would be nice.

- don't know if I should remove/reinstall because of the permissions bug Rod tweeted about
    It isn't the permission bug, that is for apps that look for existing media and play it back
    - don't really have the time to doctor now; I expect this with betas, not for purchased app
    You don't need to doctor the device, but you do need to do a device reset. This is a webOS bug. I can't control this. It isn't the fault of the app and the beta would react the same way. If you purchase/download any other media capture app, you will experience the exact same problem. It is a webOS system bug that affects some devices when something goes wrong during the installation.
    - I can't even find the wav files in /media/internal/.VoiceMemosForWebOS. It's empty! (could this be the cause for playback error)
    If it is empty or if the folder doesn't exist, then it is due to the webOS system bug I told you about.

@maPhi It was stated in the app catalog description th at deleton of memos was not possible at this time as approval for this function must apparently come from Palm.
    That is coming in an update that is being worked on now.

Sorry if my tone is a bit dickish....but users have taken the trouble to vent here instead of in the Reviews, and you haven't posted any help. :-( Perhaps sending mail is better. Doing so now....
    I understand your frustration and I am sorry to all users. I set this post up so it should have sent me an email every time a user posted here. For some reason, the PreCentral forums have not been functioning as necessary. Please direct your anger at them for this as well because it is partially due to them having an issue with their forums.
    Arthur Thornton

12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by runtimmyc View Post
    I am also getting the "Error with audio file. If this is persistent, please contact support ..." message.

Any idea on a fix?
    There is only one fix know. You can see more at the help desk website: "Error with audio file. If this is persistent, please contact support" message
    Arthur Thornton

Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Now I feel mean. Arthur speaks the truth; my Pre notified of his immediate response in the seconds following my e-mail.

Concerning the only solution in Appstuh's knowledge base article, I'm increasingly worried about such critical 2.x bugs which are making great apps such as this appear as faulty alpha releases. Dammit, HP, where's 2.1.1?

Update: Just checked out Arthur's twitter profile and according to the time difference he's been replying to my rants at 5 in the morning. Can't get any better than that in terms of developer response, can you? HP, TAKE NOTE!!(AND he's just 18 ;-))
    Last edited by Goyena; 04/22/2011 at 05:19 AM.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Thanks for the upadte, Arthur!

But I'm still missing a "Pause" fucntion for my recording.

Regards

Carsten
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZehHa View Post

Regards

Carsten
    It will be added in in a future update but the functionality has to be custom built because it does not come with the tools provided by Palm (hence why you don't see it in any app thus far).
    Arthur Thornton

Quote Originally Posted by ZehHa View Post

Regards

Carsten
    Wow.. I just emailed arthur early this morning about that feature and got a quick response..

Hopefully when you are part of dev relations you can give a kick in the pants for some of those functions

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Wow.. I just emailed arthur early this morning about that feature and got a quick response..

Hopefully when you are part of dev relations you can give a kick in the pants for some of those functions

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I start in a little over a week and I hope to get a lot of things added to webOS to help developers add more capabilities to their apps, including audio recording apps such as Voice Memos.
    Arthur Thornton

I'm also having an issue playing the audio files created with Voice Memo. I did a full reset per the instructions ("Error with audio file. If this is persistent, please contact support" message) but it didn't resolve the issue. Any other ideas?

Regards, Steve
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by sward View Post
    I'm also having an issue playing the audio files created with Voice Memo. I did a full reset per the instructions ("Error with audio file. If this is persistent, please contact support" message) but it didn't resolve the issue. Any other ideas?

Regards, Steve
    I've not yet heard of someone who has had the issue persist through the reset procedure.

Are you by any chance overclocking your phone? Also, what phone are you using and what webOS version?

Thanks.
    Arthur Thornton

Arthur,
    Not currently overclocking. I've got a Pre+ with Verizon that I've doctored to 2.1.

Regards, Steve
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast