Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Epocrates Rx beta application for PalmŪ webOS™ will be removed from the App Catalog on February 1, 2011.

We sincerely appreciate all of our users and understand it was difficult to receive the news that Epocrates will not support Palm webOS devices. Please note we are discontinuing support for devices that use the Palm webOS operating system (e.g. Palm Pre and Palm Pixi) only. Palm OS remains fully supported.

As of June 14, 2011, the Epocrates Rx beta application will cease to function.
    Time to move on to another medical app?
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Yea, I just got that e-mail from ePocrates too. I'll be leaving Sprint Palm Pre as soon as the Verizon iPhone ships for this, and only this reason. Not my choice. I'll miss PreCentral and webOS/Palm.
    perhaps you should wait, I have info that HP partnered with another med dev, and that's why epocrates left. So on feb 9 we should be hearing about another medical partner
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    perhaps you should wait, I have info that HP partnered with another med dev, and that's why epocrates left. So on feb 9 we should be hearing about another medical partner
    care to give a little more info? this is a real issue for me, as I rely on Epocrates, and haven't seen any applications for the Pre with its speed and depth.

Any info would be appreciated, but i suppose the 9th isn't too far off.
    There are four lights.
    When it expires I'll be having a vacation. Contract expires less than a week into residency. The plan is to reassess the situation at that point and sign up with the carrier that has the best signal in the hospital and apartment. Phone will need to have at least 16 hours battery life and good developer support on medical apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    When it expires I'll be having a vacation. Contract expires less than a week into residency. The plan is to reassess the situation at that point and sign up with the carrier that has the best signal in the hospital and apartment. Phone will need to have at least 16 hours battery life and good developer support on medical apps.
    I too will be starting residency. Like you I will have the freedom to select a new carrier and phone, which will be done based on similar criteria, except I will want a user replaceable battery, I suggest you look into the same. The work daymay be 16 hours, but it is often smartphone intensive, and rarely a charger to charger situation with any predictability. I find having a spare battery or two on my white coat pocket or bag an enormous help for overnight calls on my subi.
    epocrates is great. Wish they stuck around.

I've moved on to using lexicomp and epocrates online.

things are good again.

hope abegee is right about a new partner as well.
    My info came from an indirect HP source, so take it with a grain of salt, BUT it makes sense that epoctrates would leave since they where not chosen by HP to be the partner on upcoming devices
    Interesting tidbit. Sounds logical to me and I blogged about it here:
    Rumor: A medical partner for HP webOS?

My guess for a candidate partner for HP webOS would be Medscape. They already have great mobile content for iOS, Blackberry and Android. They seem to be focused on pushing out mobile apps quite rapidly and given the amount of free content they have - drug ref, interaction checker, procedures, protocols and medical news - all for free, I think they are serious competition for Epocrates. If I were Epocrates I would be worried where Medscape is headed. The main thing Medscape mobile seems lacking are calculators but then again you have MediPDA
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    well this will probably be the best news the medical webos community could get.i really hope we get a good offline medical drug data base from Medscape
    medscape would be GREAT.

but what happened to competition? Still not a good reason for epocrates to pull out of webOS development.

but whatever.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    What ePocrates has for me over all the others is point-of-service formulary info. I thnk Skyscape may also have that, but they too are not on webOS. Lexicomp, PepID and Medscape don't have that either.
    Last edited by ABQMD; 01/26/2011 at 08:24 PM.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Interesting tidbit. Sounds logical to me and I blogged about it here:
    Rumor: A medical partner for HP webOS?

My guess for a candidate partner for HP webOS would be Medscape. They already have great mobile content for iOS, Blackberry and Android. They seem to be focused on pushing out mobile apps quite rapidly and given the amount of free content they have - drug ref, interaction checker, procedures, protocols and medical news - all for free, I think they are serious competition for Epocrates. If I were Epocrates I would be worried where Medscape is headed. The main thing Medscape mobile seems lacking are calculators but then again you have MediPDA

Isn't that circular to here? They are reporting on the fact that someone in this thread claims to have heard something...
    Crazy. And this whole time I thought Epocrates left webOS "Due to the relatively low interest level among [Epocrates'] user base". Those liars
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Isn't that circular to here? They are reporting on the fact that someone in this thread claims to have heard something...
    "They" happens to be "me". Just pointing out my blog post which points to the "rumor" which started here and my speculation on who it could be and elaborates on other possibilities for Epocrates' departure.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Crazy. And this whole time I thought Epocrates left webOS "Due to the relatively low interest level among [Epocrates'] user base". Those liars
    you are calling them liars based on some random forum post rumor? Maybe actually wait to see if this is you know... actually true?
    It cannot be "low interest level" given the fact that Epocrates is one of the "hottest" apps in the Palm App Catalog!
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    It cannot be "low interest level" given the fact that Epocrates is one of the "hottest" apps in the Palm App Catalog!
    But if the install base is tiny to start with, you can have high interest within that install base but still not have a profitable app. Opportunity cost applies, does an organisation want to spend time and resources supporting a platform with a tiny user community or supporting one with a massive user community ?

Remember these guys are out to make money - if HP manages to turn WebOS from an also-ran to an OS with a future, they and many other developers are likely to come back in the next couple of years but otherwise you can't blame a business for concentrating it's efforts when it thinks it is going to be successful.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    But if the install base is tiny to start with, you can have high interest within that install base but still not have a profitable app. Opportunity cost applies, does an organisation want to spend time and resources supporting a platform with a tiny user community or supporting one with a massive user community ?

Remember these guys are out to make money - if HP manages to turn WebOS from an also-ran to an OS with a future, they and many other developers are likely to come back in the next couple of years but otherwise you can't blame a business for concentrating it's efforts when it thinks it is going to be successful.
    Something not being profitable is not the same as just abandoning something that has already been made. I can understand not making a WebOS app based on perceived customer demand, but why back out when the product is already available? In addition to this, with the Feb 9th event and we expect, new devices being released, that may drive demand for a WebOS version.

The only reason for putting the discontinuation that far in advance is to give them a chance to reverse their decision if a new device really does gain some popularity/traction in the overall marketplace.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I can understand not making a WebOS app based on perceived customer demand, but why back out when the product is already available?
    Because on-going costs don't make it viable as things currently stand? There is such a thing as quality of profit, maybe they can still make some money off it but over the long-term is it worth devoting the resources?

In addition to this, with the Feb 9th event and we expect, new devices being released, that may drive demand for a WebOS version.
    It might or it might not, if it does, as you say they are sure to change their minds.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast