Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I paid a renewal fee every year for years now to Epocrates and this continued with Webos version being free. Now I think I will cancel and not subscibe anymore.
    epocrates pulled out for more than just low consumer demand as they claim. I always suspected there was some political and/or financial reasons somewhat unrelated to demand for the product. If you want to argue otherwise explain how they continue to support palm OS and windows mobile 6.1 and older devices...what is the market share for those 2?

couple of other possible reasons for their pullout:
    -as the rumor above suggests, hp giving priority to another provider such as medscape or lexicomp or whomever

-a re-write of the app using a newer development framework in enyo...in
    which case I can understand their wanting to hold off on developing new software for a platform with very little market share overall and esp in the
    healthcare field. However, if hp really wanted them to stick around, I truly believe hp could fund the development.

-which leads me to the last possible reason: epocrates is trying to establish their emr software this month, which may be in direct competition with hp, which plays a huge role in healthcare network frameworks throughout the US and probably worldwide. Hp may be partnering with another company to provide emr services to some type of webOS device in the future.

regardless, as a consumer, I think it's always good to have a choice and because of this losing epocrates sucks no matter how you look at it.

on the brightside, given how data usage is gonna become the standard with all type of mobile devices, with more and more consumers using them, and with all cell providers pushing aggressively to increase their speeds to LTE...having access to the mobile website of epocrates is a pretty decent solution. Better than nothing!
    Excellent points. The possibility of an EMR rivalry issue didn't occur to me but if Epocrates pulled out (they weren't pushed) for this reason, then shame on them. I doubt if Enyo would be a deterrent - if anything it should make things easier.

Anyways, I hope all medical users can request a webOS version of Medscape. The more requests the better the chance of it happening.
    Email Medscape here:

medscapemobilesupport@webmd.net
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I agree with your argument but most of epocrates stuff is just text. It's just carefully checked and editted text. So the main cost of the medical editors, pharmacists, physicians to check references and make sure data is accurate should be done. So how much cost is there? How big is the legacy Palm OS market share if that still is being supported? (I see occasional pda or centro or treo but really..) Unless updating Epocrates to webOS 2.0 requires quite a bit more programming? Probably epocrates should outsource to hungry developer in that case.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    The EMR hypothesis is interesting. HP does NOT have en EMR yet but I know the big players are looking. The emr market is too fragmented with small players to continue. With new stimulus $$ from US government to hospitals and practices, this is going to be the year. An HP webOS tablet/netbook solution would be credible if they had an EMR. I haven't heard of Epocrates EMR being released yet. They did do a survey a while ago.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    When it expires I'll be having a vacation. Contract expires less than a week into residency. The plan is to reassess the situation at that point and sign up with the carrier that has the best signal in the hospital and apartment. Phone will need to have at least 16 hours battery life and good developer support on medical apps.
    16 hours battery life - don't get a Samsung Epic! With the standard ROM, mine is no better than a Pre. With custom ROMs, mine is now able to go at most 12 hours, depending on use. And the custom ROMs bog down after a couple weeks, and have to be reinstalled - think doctoring your Pre every 2 weeks.

I would also advise seeing what EMR your new job will be using, as that can be a deal breaker, too.

If you really like WebOS, keep an eye on HP's horizon. I sure hope to return to WebOS, as the Android experience for me is not nearly as smooth as WebOS. (That being said, I have never tried an iPhone, as I LIKE tinkering with my phones, and iPhones are apparently the hardest to do that on, along with the worst carrier signal on AT&T).
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
    I agree with your argument but most of epocrates stuff is just text. It's just carefully checked and editted text. So the main cost of the medical editors, pharmacists, physicians to check references and make sure data is accurate should be done. So how much cost is there? How big is the legacy Palm OS market share if that still is being supported? (I see occasional pda or centro or treo but really..) Unless updating Epocrates to webOS 2.0 requires quite a bit more programming? Probably epocrates should outsource to hungry developer in that case.
    I just saw a report on Android Central that showed industry IT department support for the different smart phone OS's. PalmOS was still about 12% or so, and WebOS only about 2-3%.

That being said, I don't see many Palms or Treos around our hospital anymore, either. And not a single Pre or Pixi. Lots of Blackberries, some iPhones and more Androids all the time.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    I think it's the enyo framework that probably prompted them to stop webos development for now. Maybe development will be resumed next year if hp webos gives them some encouragement (ahem ). Personally It's going to suck after May as I've used this software daily for the last 12 yrs. Lexicomp isn't bad but it is relatively expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
    The EMR hypothesis is interesting. HP does NOT have en EMR yet but I know the big players are looking. The emr market is too fragmented with small players to continue. With new stimulus $$ from US government to hospitals and practices, this is going to be the year. An HP webOS tablet/netbook solution would be credible if they had an EMR. I haven't heard of Epocrates EMR being released yet. They did do a survey a while ago.
    HP teamed up with Quest diagnostics (MedPlus) to promote their care360. It's HP default EMR if you were to contact them to digitize your facilities from scratch. Naturally HP will help/manage any EMR, but Care360 seems to be the one they are backing for small-medium sized practices. Interestingly care360 already has an iPad/iPhone app aimed at physicians in the office setting. So it's quite likely the same app will be ported by HP/Medplus.
    Should add. I finally looked at care360's ipad app and it is pretty darn slick looking/customizable. Not sure how it would work in a large hospital setting, but it has lots of nice features for the office. Too bad I'm stuck using EPIC (oh EPIC how I hate you).
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Well, time to say goodbye. I'm getting my 2 Verizon iPhones tomorrow and will leave webOS and Sprint behind. Had to do it; needed ePocrates Essentials to be fully operational. Everyone on PreCentral has been extremely helpful, especially folks like palmdoc, frantid, metaview, sconix, and all the great developers at WOSI and Canuck. Thank you for making webOS as good as it has become.
    Best of luck to all of you!
    Peace.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12