Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm interested in having an on-board Bible on my Pre, and I would also like to get a particular version (both Translations and Paraphrases). So far, it seems the only versions available are the public domain ones. I would like the English Standard Version (ESV) as my preferred translation, and The Message as my preferred paraphrase. So far, I haven't found a Bible app where you can store these versions on your device. Some allow you to access them from the web, but I want the on board.

Also, I would love to have auto scrolling. I haven't seen auto scrolling on any application yet...I don't think I have...but I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn express last night, so I could be mistaken.

Does anyone have any helpful words of wisdom to offer?...nothing canonical of course

And what about the status of app developers...It seems like I recall reading that OliveTree wasn't going forward with a webOS version. My Bible wasn't either, but didn't we read something about another developer taking their app into webOS land?

By the way, here are the Bible reading apps I have used:

Bible Reader (by Eclectic Design Studios), Bible Reader 2, Bible (YouVersion), Bible Reader Lite (by webOZ Mobile Apps, Simple Bible (Bits of God Software), and BibleZ.

ON Board Free bible modules:
    Bible Reader Lite
    Simple Bible
    BibleZ

Web accessed bible modules:
    Bible Reader
    Bible Reader 2
    Bible

I'm not 100% sure of my categorization here, but I think it's pretty close.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I'm with you 100% on this. My primary versions are NIV and The Message.

I continue to use MyBible under Classic, along with Acrobible and OliveTree on my iTouch. I did get Pocketbible on my iTouch, too, but the user interface is awful. If that's the kind of UI that Laridan would put out for webOS, I wouldn't want it.
    I just use the net ...
    go to m.biblegateway.com

Type in any verse, chapter whatever, and view it. You can also choose just about any major Bible version including the message, KJL, CEV, NIV, etc.
  4.    #4  
    I can use a web based bible like biblegateway, but I would like to have it on board. For instance, if my Pre is on airplane mode...like when i'm on an airolane...i could still access the Bible.

also, I spent 2.5 months on a tropical island with no access, except for sketchy wifi in a couple locations. I couldn't access the ESV or The Message.
    Bible Reader Plus lets me read the Bible on airplane mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by palml0ver View Post
    Bible Reader Plus lets me read the Bible on airplane mode.
    what versions are available?
    I agree that we need Laridian to support webOS. They were the best, and I bought a lot of their stuff. They do iOS/Blackberry/etc, so we should start hitting them up for webOS.
    Supposedly, Bits of God software is working on integrating Laridian bible modules into their webOS app: http://blog.laridian.com/?page_id=237

However, it has been over a year since that was anounced...
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I would like ANY Catholic version of the bible, preferably The New Jerusalem Bible, but The New American Bible or The Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition would also be fine. But Catholic versions are not found online anywhere, nor associated with any smart phone app.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleyj View Post
    Supposedly, Bits of God software is working on integrating Laridian bible modules into their webOS app: http://blog.laridian.com/?page_id=237

However, it has been over a year since that was anounced...
    Here is the latest on Bits Of God's website:

Bits Of God Software News

Sounds like Simple Bible will become Simple Bible Pro, but probably after we see what new devices are coming out.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Hey,

You might just try an eBook reader rather than a Bible app. I just did a test run of pReader (free in the app catalog) and a Bible eBook file. pReader reads several different eBook file types and is a good little app, IMO.

One of the files it supports is MobiPocket, which I've enjoyed using before. MobiPocket has a trial version of the esv, which I downloaded. I opened it with pReader, and the formatting wasn't perfect and there was no autoscroll, but it did work. You can use the table of contents to go to a particular book and you can set bookmarks.

Maybe another eBook reader would do a better job, but I just thought I'd suggest that for you.

P.S. The trial version of the esv doesn't actually get into the Bible itself--just the notes. But you can get an idea of how it works, at least.
    Last edited by katefields; 01/25/2011 at 12:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I agree that we need Laridian to support webOS. They were the best, and I bought a lot of their stuff. They do iOS/Blackberry/etc, so we should start hitting them up for webOS.
    I'm not so keen on Laridian. Their iOS Pocketbible has a really crappy user interface. I have it on my iTouch, but I never use it.
  13.    #13  
    are there any doc readers with autoscroll?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    are there any doc readers with autoscroll?
    It looks like Popelli has autoscroll, but it doesn't support DRM as pReader does. As Bibles go, a few from webOZ (the Bible Reader apps) have autoscroll.
    I have also been looking for a good onboard version of the Bible. My preferance is the New International Version (NIV) with Life application notes. I don't mind paying for it if I could get it in an onboard copy where I could save my notes and highlighting. I've tried a few apps on WebOS and have setteled on BibleZ.

The Developer of BibleZ recently told me that he is looking into the possibility of making DRM translations available.
    I use a couple-o-different ones. Simple Bible is good. Autoscroll would be nice though.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    One thing about BibleZ:

I had been using it for my daily reading, but I noticed that, wherever he's getting the actual Bible text from, it's missing words all over the place. I was using the KJV and words would just be gone or missing letters.

I contacted him and let him know, but I just got a thank you and a virtual shrug.

A little off topic, but just wanted to let you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by scheumanrj View Post
    I have also been looking for a good onboard version of the Bible. My preferance is the New International Version (NIV) with Life application notes. I don't mind paying for it if I could get it in an onboard copy where I could save my notes and highlighting. I've tried a few apps on WebOS and have setteled on BibleZ.
    I'm with you on that. I really enjoy the LAB module in MyBible under Classic.

The other thing MyBible has that I haven't seen in any other bible app either on webOS or iOS is highlighting at the word, even letter, level. All of the other apps I've seen highlight whole verses at a time. I like highlighting just a few words in a verse, and sometimes I'll highlight a sentence in one color, then go back and change just a few words in that sentence to a different color. Even the Laridian iOS app doesn't have this. But Laridian MyBible on PalmOS does.

I don't like the convenient assumption that Bible app developers make that you would always want to highlight whole verses.

Have you looked at the verses in Isaiah? They're unusually long!
    It would be interesting to know the history of how verse numbers were assigned. You might not want to highlight a whole verse, but just a thought within that verse.
    Last edited by RJKinsman; 01/26/2011 at 07:00 AM.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    One thing about BibleZ:

I had been using it for my daily reading, but I noticed that, wherever he's getting the actual Bible text from, it's missing words all over the place. I was using the KJV and words would just be gone or missing letters.

I contacted him and let him know, but I just got a thank you and a virtual shrug.

A little off topic, but just wanted to let you know.
    That's a bummer. I was abt to buy that for the included concordance
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Sounds like Simple Bible will become Simple Bible Pro...
    Well, I'll be all over Simple Bible Pro as soon as it becomes available. Over the years I've spent a good chunk of change with Laridian, so it will be nice to leverage this on webOS. In the mean time, 'looks like I'll stay with good old MyBible under Classic.
    Last edited by RJKinsman; 01/26/2011 at 07:04 AM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast